Very broad question

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the different between $500 vs $2500 detector ? about $2000 worth of - bragging rights about how much you paid --- detectors once you get into the 500 -600 range of good quality machines are a lot like cars --you can pay a lot more if you want to for one but exactly what are you paying that much extra for ?

Duckman Willcox

Sep 20, 2015
SouthTexas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500, XP Deus, Simplex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my AT Pro after a three month learning cycle. Recently bought the sniper coil and will be using it in certain situations.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of it has to do with learning the machine. All major brands make good ones so I would go with the lower priced ones to start off with and learn on. (Stay away from Sam's Choice or Shurfine brands though) Go ahead and buy the high dollar high end one if you want, but you might just wind up with a computer on a stick.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget the Pro-pointer AT to go with the AT Pro (or any machine you choose)

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THanks for the advice guys

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Question Can-you have the xp DEUS listed on your profile, have one-dreaming of one-or just filling the blanks?

If you haven't purchased a detector yet there's lots of really good mid ranged detectors new and even used trade in models that will introduce into the hobby where if you don't care for it you can hang it up or sell it without feeling like you get hurt to much.

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
I will tell you what my dealer told me in 1978,go with this lower priced one that works and if you like the hobby then go with the higher end models. There should be some reputable dealers in your area that can give you a leg up what works in your area. Make sure they are multi line dealers and you have more than one choice. Also everybody has personal preference, watch you tube for different models that you might be interested. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have said the AT Pro is lots better than when they first came out, but will you get old stock? It's a fair detector on dry land but can really suck at the beach in the wet saltwater sand as it'll be unstable. But not all beaches are alike as to amount of salt content and black sand. Fletch gave great advice about using detectors with more than one frequency if hunting the wet sand. Otherwise your Deus will work fine in the dry sand. Just make sure you can sound off on a pull tab and you'll find gold rings.:coffee2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question Can-you have the xp DEUS listed on your profile, have one-dreaming of one-or just filling the blanks?

If you haven't purchased a detector yet there's lots of really good mid ranged detectors new and even used trade in models that will introduce into the hobby where if you don't care for it you can hang it up or sell it without feeling like you get hurt to much.
Hey pepper, thanks for the reply. Yes I got me a deus. I was looking for a machine to be good on land as well as in the water. Decided it would be better to get one of each. SO I decided on the deus. I will learn this machine for dry land and then if I am still hot on metal detecting I will get the excaliber ii this summer. thanks again for the help.

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have said the AT Pro is lots better than when they first came out, but will you get old stock? It's a fair detector on dry land but can really suck at the beach in the wet saltwater sand as it'll be unstable. But not all beaches are alike as to amount of salt content and black sand. Fletch gave great advice about using detectors with more than one frequency if hunting the wet sand. Otherwise your Deus will work fine in the dry sand. Just make sure you can sound off on a pull tab and you'll find gold rings.:coffee2:
Thanks for the info sandman

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will tell you what my dealer told me in 1978,go with this lower priced one that works and if you like the hobby then go with the higher end models. There should be some reputable dealers in your area that can give you a leg up what works in your area. Make sure they are multi line dealers and you have more than one choice. Also everybody has personal preference, watch you tube for different models that you might be interested. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Yeah that is probably good advice. I have always been of the opinion buy once, buy the best. If I dont like it I can sell(the best). Someone is always looking a good deal on quality. Thanks for your help. And happy successful hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions