Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It depends on what you plan to use it for. I believe there's also a concensus that an experienced person behind a cheap machine will do better than an inexperienced person behind a high end one.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
can,

I guess the first info you should provide is what type of detecting you wish to do...coin shooting, relic hunting, water, fresh or salt, etc....then it's easier to narrow down which machines will do the job for you and at what price.

One thing to keep in mind is the high end machines generally have a lot of bells and whistles and a steeper learning curve than the mid range ones.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies guys. I probably will at some point want to do it all. There is an old civil war fort around where I live that I would like to hunt. I guess that would be relic hunting. I live near the beach so I would like to do at least some beach hunting fro coins and jewelry.

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can,

I guess the first info you should provide is what type of detecting you wish to do...coin shooting, relic hunting, water, fresh or salt, etc....then it's easier to narrow down which machines will do the job for you and at what price.

One thing to keep in mind is the high end machines generally have a lot of bells and whistles and a steeper learning curve than the mid range ones.

Regards + HH

Bill

So do the bells and whistles tune in targets better or just sing better?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
don't go all out till you get experience

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can,

The fact is most of the bells and whistles are just fluff...stick with a simple beep and dig machine and see if you want to stick it out in the hobby first and don't blow the budget up front....you can always trade up to a fancier machine down the road if you so choose.

Regards + HH

Bill

So do the bells and whistles tune in targets better or just sing better?

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help guys. Any suggestions? I am thinking something like an AT Pro.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll save you a lot of money and frustration. You want a multi-frequency machine like the CTX, Etrac or Explorer SE Pro. All 3 will work beautifully on wet salt sand with only the CTX being submersible. They will also do well for coin and relic hunting.

BR,

Walt

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help guys. Any suggestions? I am thinking something like an AT Pro.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always used White's detectors but whatever you get learn it and practice, practice, practice. The machine is only as good as the user. My brother used to out hunt everyone using an old detector because he knew it and what it was telling him.

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll save you a lot of money and frustration. You want a multi-frequency machine like the CTX, Etrac or Explorer SE Pro. All 3 will work beautifully on wet salt sand with only the CTX being submersible. They will also do well for coin and relic hunting.

BR,

Walt

Thanks for the help.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with your first instinct... research the snot out of the AT Pro, think about it, dream about it, picture yourself swinging the machine like a champ... then buy it. You cant go wrong with the Pro, its versatility will target all of your hunting styles.
Most importantly, use one of Tnets supporting vendors... several will offer packages to sweeten the deal. If you would like me to advise you which vendor to use, PM me, I'll highly recommend one vendor in particular...Also, the At Pro holds its value if you should ever need to sell/upgrade the machine.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can,

The At Pro is a good machine but I've been told it doesn't like the salty sand or water.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info bill

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started with an at pro. Steep learning curve but if you have patience not a bad machine. Keep in mind the history of NC. Colonial coins and relics, civil war, gold mines, and the legend of confederate gold buried along railroad leaving Mcleansville. Of course you also have the coast where over 600 known shipwrecks can put things on the beach after a hurricane.

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
First Texas Search Master DX-3500 (1981)
Primary Interest:
Other
As tom has put it, NC has a rich history and lots of mineralized soil. If you want to just hunt relics and general trove, your best bet will be either a BFO running VLF range (30KHz will do it) or a T/R Induction Balance VLF (19-20KHz will work.) If you don't care about discrimination much, and just want to pick up on every target, an older Induction Balance T/R VLF or a BFO running at ~6KHz will work pretty well and those are both fairly cheap and easy to learn the basics on.

Once you've mastered those, I would suggest moving up to similar models with better features. There's a really steep ROI from what I've seen. If you're gong to spend in the 2-3 thousand dollar range, you might as well just get a fully-computerized ground-penetrating radar instead of a metal detector, and learn how to read that output.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You mentioned living near the coast? If you said I may travel to the coast once or twice per year, then I might agree with the ATPro. Yes it will ground balance down to salt and you will have to reduce sensitivity both will cause a loss of depth and performance.

Single frequency detectors do not work well on wet salt sand or in water. It does not matter what brand or machine it is a matter of physics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread