You Gotta Try This Method of Tumbling Coins.

TimeSaver

Mar 24, 2014
nepa carbon co
Detector(s) used
garrett ATPRO garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put pennies in one can nickles in another can and so on .So when i clean them i dont have to worry about them change colors.but i tumble them first, this get most of the dirt off them, then the magic happen i put them in a vibratory tub .first pic 1hr 041.JPG 2nd pic is about 2hrs 042.JPG 3rd pic is about 4hrs 043.JPG this is what pennies look like after 1hr 044.JPG and after 4hrs they pretty much shine like new 045.JPG

gearjammer

Mar 14, 2015
northern Caifornia
Detector(s) used
Etrac and Ace 350 and a Gold Bug now.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pennies came out very good, found two wheats in there after. Clad I think dawn,water and rocks just as good but takes a bit longer.All good ideas, thanks again.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking for a cheap effective way to clean clad, I will try it! Thanks guys!
I use CLR on the zincs. A few minutes and they shine, but I'll try it on them too...as soon as I find another batch!
Best Christmas present!!!! :thumbup:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost forgot..... :icon_scratch: :laughing7: I got my bad clad out and attempted this......
I had to use vinegar though, (d/have lemon juice), swirl swirl in coffee can, with salt and pea gravel......
This is what I gots, before and afters :BangHead: C, I haz canz, tu..... :laughing7:

coin1.jpg coin2.jpg

I don't know what they maken this stuffs out of nowadays....... :BangHead: better spend it FAST! :laughing7:

coin3.jpg coin4.jpg

the stuff just comes apart in layers....... can't even get a crooked scrap man to take it...... :tard: :laughing7:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only inherent problem to tumbling coins and using abrasives and solvents is that if you want to sell these to collectors, they will look for signs of cleaning. Missing patina where it ideally should be on silver? You just cost yourself some $$$. But, then again, this is only really a problem on silver.

---In this case I believe the subject is just about cleaning clad. However since you brought it up.
Collectors and dealers are weird about what they want. They say don't clean them, but won't hardly buy 'circulated' coins either. I personally do with them as I wish, considering a dug coin is rarely worth more than it's melt value.
--It's all about the individual buyer.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not done so, but always get the idea of using my crusty zinc rejects to 'seed' a few of the places where I've had bitter land owners slam the door in my face.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost forgot..... :icon_scratch: :laughing7: I got my bad clad out and attempted this......
I had to use vinegar though, (d/have lemon juice), swirl swirl in coffee can, with salt and pea gravel......
This is what I gots, before and afters :BangHead: C, I haz canz, tu..... :laughing7:

View attachment 1268908 View attachment 1268909

I don't know what they maken this stuffs out of nowadays....... :BangHead: better spend it FAST! :laughing7:

View attachment 1268913 View attachment 1268914

the stuff just comes apart in layers....... can't even get a crooked scrap man to take it...... :tard: :laughing7:

CLR. Will remove that crud.

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just received my Dual 3lb tumbler from Harbor Freight, followed T.C.'s instruction and have amazing results. What a great job on Quarters. The dimes and nickles are cleaner but I guess due to the metal type, not as shiny but much cleaner.
The pennies the same way but really clean. I have no fear no of taking them to my bank. Thanks for the tip.
Thanks Loco for posting your method also. Did the 45 minutes.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the post.
I use Aquarian gravel, vinegar, Dish detergent, and water. I usually tumble for a few hours.
They go into a Coinstar machine and the receipt is deposited into my hobby account.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worked great. I then set them on a 1/4 screen on a bucket and rinsed them with water, as I rinsed them they started turning yellow, when I took them off I found the screen had reacted with the ones on bottom and turned them black. :BangHead:

I'm bummed.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I use a plastic drainer.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use ceramic media and water, no soap. The soap causes my tumbler to get contaminated and leech black color from the rubber which turns everything gray. Only for crusted clad though!

Last edited:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to throw a wrench in it. But this tumbler kicks but( but) with a 1 quart Gatorade bottle. Which is what I always used when cleaning coins anyway. I always have one that I cut a hole in the lid for rinsing sand, squeeze, rinse, repeat.

The bottle has to be very dry though.

Last edited:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, it works well. But how do you make it stop once it has gotten to the desired effect? I have been trying a lot of things, I can't see leaving them with that much acidity on them?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting.
I walk on my gravel and use Mr Clean for removing stubborn stains in the bathroom, but it is the latter ingredients that interest me. I usually pour lemon juice on my pancakes and sprinkle salt on my fish and chips. Will they clean my innards or should I be drinking Cola? Please advise.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries, your own internal anti acids should solve that, if not....Tim's. :D

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be wary of leaving zincs too long in anything acidic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread