Old Large Anchor 106 X 72 Solid Iron, How old is it and what is the value?

mcgodfrey

Jan 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Large Anchor 10'6 X 7'2 Solid Iron, How old is it and what is the value?

Hello to all and thank you in advance for any information that you can provide. I came across this anchor and all I can tell you about it is that it is solid iron and extremely heavy. I would estimate around 1500-2000 lbs.. The dimensions are 10'6 X 7'2 . The back story on it is that it was found in the Atlantic many years ago by a scallop captain. It was hooked by their fishing line and then winched up and then onto the deck. He brought it home and it has sat in his yard approx. 40 years. Today it found a new home. I'd love to know all I can about it.
Thank you IMG_0650 (1).JPG IMG_0653 (1).JPG

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a big one, and pretty cool. What you going to do with it now?

OP
OP
M

mcgodfrey

Jan 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not entirely sure yet. I'd like to place it in my yard or incorporate it into my home somehow??

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
It appears to be a secondary galleon anchor from the 1700's The flat area of the shank should have held a wooden stock. At the very least, soak it in fresh water for a year to leech out the salt, then epoxy it to seal and preserve it. Got a swimming pool?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It's been laying in someones yard for 40 years. Rain has probably leeched out all the salt. Heat it up to dry it out and coat it with polyurathane after applying a coat of rustoleum rust killing primer and a coat of flat black. It should really look good. Frank

OP
OP
M

mcgodfrey

Jan 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks so natural like it is, do you think that it will continue to deteriorate if I leave it like it is? It has been laying in the grass for so long and it doesn't seem to affected it yet to badly ???? I don't have a pool to soak it in and its very difficult to maneuver, I was thinking of mounting it upright in my yard. I'm not opposed to painting it but really like the old crusty natural look. I have thought about pressure washing it and using an automotive clear coat to seal it in. Any thoughts about that? Any idea of value?
Thank you for your reply.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It looks so natural like it is, do you think that it will continue to deteriorate if I leave it like it is? It has been laying in the grass for so long and it doesn't seem to affected it yet to badly ???? I don't have a pool to soak it in and its very difficult to maneuver, I was thinking of mounting it upright in my yard. I'm not opposed to painting it but really like the old crusty natural look. I have thought about pressure washing it and using an automotive clear coat to seal it in. Any thoughts about that? Any idea of value?
Thank you for your reply.

That would work as long as you dry it before applying the clearcoat.

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I assume you know the weight, having somehow lifted it onto the flatbed to move it -- but it sure seems like it ought to be a lot heavier than that !!
Double, at least.

Back in the day (1990's), scrap iron was going for half a penny a pound.
(NOT saying this only has scrap value.)

Update: Just checked with a calculator. Maybe 1,500-2000 is right afterall?
At a 6-inch diameter rod, the numbers work out about right for cast iron.
Still, visually, it just looks like it ought to be heavier.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread