Monkworks

Jan 20, 2015
Ont
Detector(s) used
BH, ATP, Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kayak noob here.
What type of kayak do I need for treasure hunting? I have never had a Kayak, never padded one, but have come to the determination that getting in a Kayak will take my detecting to the next level by accessing remote places. But there are many types of Kayak’s for many types of situations and I’m lost in what’s needed…

I weigh about 190 pounds and will be using the Kayak in some large bays and slow moving shallow rivers. I will from time to time be working along the shore of Lake Ontario that can have some rough water. Hunting for relics so will need some storage for iron finds…

My first confusion is this. I have been reading the users manuals for a variation of Kayaks and that all come with this warning not to use them in the rain and in rough water. I thought Kayaks were designed for white water and why will rain matter?

So it appears that the “fishing or Angling Kayak” is what I need, maybe? But the Angling Kayak is shorter, sit-on top. In my case I would be using the kayak for access to the location not to troll around. Just for traveling from Point A to Point B, but maybe check out point C and D if needed… so I started to think maybe I don’t need fishing Kayak. Maybe a hybrid is going to be better for me. I want to cross a 1 or 2 mile bay, land on the shore get out and detect that area. Get back in the kayak and move to another location repeat. I don’t see myself out on the water; the kayak will mostly be pulled up along shore while I detect.

Anyone out there have some insight as to what’s really required in a treasure hunting kayak? Thanks in advance.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you considered what happens to your gear if you take a dunk (capsize)? I've fished out of a SOT, and was told it wasn't a matter of "if" you rolled, but a matter of "when". And, yes, I did, lol.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not sure where you are on the lake but it does get rough and even down into the islands. First rule is pick the days and not the bad weather days on the water. Most kayaks come with storage lockers on either end, but space is limited and the hatches are limited in size. There's the options of strapping the bigger gear on the tie down areas on the kayak, there's water tight bags the one can put moisture sensitive goods into to protect them. When you say 190lbs I don't know if your 5' or 6'6" tall and that has some bearing on the size of the kayak. I'll go with you'll need something along the lines of 15-16ft in length and that will navigate you around in a few inches of water or a few feet of waves. Rain? Rain is like water to a duck man it'll roll right off, lightning well you might be a sitting duck. Here's my rig, I have a carbon fibre paddle, skirt to stay dry, and it's 15.5' long.
IMG_1574.JPG

OP
OP
M

Monkworks

Jan 20, 2015
Ont
Detector(s) used
BH, ATP, Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, i see lots of videos with guys wearing full gear and wondered about that. I would be in a wet suit and ready for a swim. I like the idea of a self bigligin system. My main concern right now is height of the boat... Some waves could and would cross over me... should i be in a cockpit, or out on top? remember I want to just get to the location. The platform is not needed for ongoing water surface activity's... I am on land detecting. Just need it to get there...

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Monkworks

Jan 20, 2015
Ont
Detector(s) used
BH, ATP, Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure where you are on the lake but it does get rough and even down into the islands. First rule is pick the days and not the bad weather days on the water. Most kayaks come with storage lockers on either end, but space is limited and the hatches are limited in size. There's the options of strapping the bigger gear on the tie down areas on the kayak, there's water tight bags the one can put moisture sensitive goods into to protect them. When you say 190lbs I don't know if your 5' or 6'6" tall and that has some bearing on the size of the kayak. I'll go with you'll need something along the lines of 15-16ft in length and that will navigate you around in a few inches of water or a few feet of waves. Rain? Rain is like water to a duck man it'll roll right off, lightning well you might be a sitting duck. Here's my rig, I have a carbon fibre paddle, skirt to stay dry, and it's 15.5' long.
View attachment 1257891

5.9' Your rig is very long. Great for getting there i guess... How hard is it to get out and if you need to get out every 10-20 mins is it annoying?

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Get a water proof detector and pull it on a rope in back of the boat.. Oh wrap it in something so it will float..

OP
OP
M

Monkworks

Jan 20, 2015
Ont
Detector(s) used
BH, ATP, Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cant turn that in a 12 river.... I think i am locked to 10feet... just because of very small rivers.
Puts me back in Fishing kayak land... because of the getting in and out non stop is going to be a pain. On-top makes that better guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Monkworks

Jan 20, 2015
Ont
Detector(s) used
BH, ATP, Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a water proof detector and pull it on a rope in back of the boat.. Oh wrap it in something so it will float..

Yeah. There is an entire system I need to think about here. The system design its completely local to my areas, in terms of set up...trial and error is the case of discovering what works. But it's winter and I know there is some experienced guys out there that could throw a bone...

Last edited:

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd rather have a 10' jon boat, be more stable, have more room, easier to enter/exit. You could always toss in a battery and trolling motor too.

If stuck on a kayak, look at a NuCanoe.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A John is safer and the way to go or an 8ft dingy. Paddling is very hard on the back if you have lower back problems forget the kayak. And if you ever need to get back into it in the water, well good luck I have done it, but I was spent. I have a roll up inflatable with a 2.5 HP outboard.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I wouldn't go to nuts with this, especially since you never paddled. Should try to go out and rent one first to see what it's like and learn about kayaks. I paddle in the long Island sound in a 10ft recreational kayak from LL Bean for a number of years. They are wider and more stable. I have never even come close to tipping over. (Tho it is a possibility if caught in a squall or something.) Fully adjustable seat is a must to avoid back strain. I usually paddle for 7 hours at a time and I'm 65. I have taken detectors and a long handled scoop. Break down detector and put in boat. Strap scoop to out side.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
5.9' Your rig is very long. Great for getting there i guess... How hard is it to get out and if you need to get out every 10-20 mins is it annoying?

It's not hard at all really.
Why are getting in and out every 10-20 minutes?

OP
OP
M

Monkworks

Jan 20, 2015
Ont
Detector(s) used
BH, ATP, Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Pepperj- its a typo 15.9... i am getting in and out to search inlets, bays and locations on route... I have come to the conclusion that the fishing sit-on-top Kayak is best for me.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One word Gheenoe.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like my situation is different than yours, because I mainly use my kayak on a river. The waves aren't a factor here, but might be for you. I have a sit on top one, but am limited to warm weather use only because you do get wet with them. I just bought a couple cheap ones ( $200-300 each ) and they work great for me. I have the capability to add an internal storage hatch if I need it, but since I haven't done anything except day trips, the rear top storage is plenty. I also use my ATPro for that, so getting it wet isn't an issue anyway. Sporting goods stores ( like Dicks, in example ) sell a variety of different sized bags to keep gear dry and safe.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455199810.282335.jpg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two canoes, and use the Old Town 13 foot solo for getting in to swim beaches where I am not allowed to be. So long as I approach by water I am legally okay. More than enough room and safer than a kayak. Always wear a PFD.
Solo Canoe.JPG

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the fishing style with hatches. I carry a ton of gear tied down. Faster than a canoe. I have a mad river canoe but this fishing yak really moves and much easier by yourself. I like the ones you get in and not sit on top. The disadvantage is you have to learn to get in and out of it if you can not beach it. Getting out of it in say 3 feet of water is tough. I always nose in. I pull the yak behind me lots of times as I detect and use it as a platform for my gear. Cameras,magnets,phone,drinks,shovels,dive mask what ever. It all depends upon where you are going to be honest. Big water I want an engine. Creeks and such a kayak it perfect and easy to portage.
Good luck!

photo copy.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread