Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
i never do anything without asking other for thier advice first. i have a problem, and need some help. i have acumulated alot of older 1800/early 1900 bottles, i got the bottle bug and slowly it has died off, because of lack of time to find them (baby girl). i have been intending on my daughter to get these when she gets older. now im thinging, maybe i should sell them and invest in us coins, decent ones, key dates exct. i dont have any rare rare bottles, but if i sell all of them, i could get a nice chunk of money. coins go up every year, and are alot easier to transport than say 500 bottles. my wife and i are still young, and im sure will be moving alot. i have packaged up my bottles twice and its a pain. what if i drop one of my boxes. also in a emergency i can pick up a small box of coins and be gone, the bottles would stay :( , so what should i do, what would you do?
p.s. i was thinking of this last night, and think god showed me a sign this morning, lets just say im happy :)

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Sell the bottles; put the money in the bank
for your daughter. Stay away from collectables
for her future.

have a good un......
SHERMANVILLE

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Myself I would sell the bottles but we all have different ideas of course! I have moved a lot over the years and have pretty much decided that anything that is not EXTRA important better fit into a small box and not weigh much until I am settled into wherever it is I am going to stay the rest of my life! lol Good luck with your decision!

paul1410

Feb 6, 2007
Land of the Cheese Steak
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado, White's Spectrum XLT
Chong,
I voted to keep the bottles, but you have some strong arguments for selling them.
If you believe you have gotten a sign from God, then follow your heart.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sell the bottles their bulky and take up room and can get broke easily so ditchem---stay far away from so called collectibles---you never get out what you got in it seems---coins are cash no matter what--- good coins (silver ones at least have the silver to back them --no mater what)---and save what money you can---its a good thing--credit unions-- theiy give better interest than banks because their non profits--they give the money they make to their investors --you--- good luck---Ivan

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion, sell the bottles and If your state has an education trust program...enroll. Otherwise I would invest in a good long term growth, no load mutual fund.

If you have to buy coins (which I'm not recommending) buy only U.S. silver or gold in the best possible condition you can afford. The problem is that if you don't know your stuff...you can get burned really easily.

Jim

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does your daughter associate the bottle with you? What you like? What you've found together or spent time talking about.

Objects have no value besides cash. Memories are what she'll want to have when you're gone. She'll like as not feel terrible if she sells them if your intent was return on investment (been there, done that).

Sell the bottles and take her camping, detecting, for hikes etc. with the money now. Leave her a check later.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chong,
Sell the bottles and invest in Beanie Babies, Furbies, and Tickle Me Elmo's. I heard they were going to be hot. I just so happen to have some stored away in the attic if you are interested. ;D
Sell the bottles and buy a classic musclecar with the $. They are skyrocketing!
Good luck,
MM

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
lol, thanks all, she is 4 months old, i think i will sell them, call me old fasioned but i dont trust banks, nor do i think we will have a us government in 20 years, gold and silver coins and some rare us coppers will probally be my answer. i would like to go rare us coins, but if there is no us, will there still be a market for rare us coins? gold and silver is at least worth some sort of trade. wow, being a daddy has really hard decisions.....

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I am a Daddy myself, like a lot of others on here.... Here is what I did-

I got a good job that pays really well, with great bennies. I moved into the cheapest, nicest neighborhood I could find. I still have my comics from when I was a kid, they aren't at premium yet, but they're starting to creep up, mostly 60's and 70's.

I never bought a new car or anything else on credit. If I can't pay cash for it, I don't need it. Insurance is cheaper that way, too.

The money I save being frugal goes into coins, bullion, my 401k, a Roth, and enough left over for us to have wonderful growing memories in camping trips, bicycling, karate, fishing, whatever we want to do.

We don't need cable or a plasma TV, we have the outdoors. Live life now, and plan for the future at the same time. Too little of one or the other pretty much sucks.

If it were me, I'd sell the bottles, buy a nice coin, stick some away, and get a bicycle seat for her so you can take her to the park and play. ;)

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
thanks jeffro, great advice, with my quite smoking thing going, i hope god lets me be there long enough for her to have great memories with me. ill say it now, she wont be going to harvard or anything, any college can get someone set for a great job, that i have seen so far. well, most of them.she will have a great life, if you have alot of money or not that much, it dosent matter, as long as they see the qualities, its all about the parents, parents parents.........

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
SWR, i think this is the first time i have seen you venture outside of bottles and glass forum;) well the topic does have bottles on it;) thanks for the comment

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins are 1/100 the size and if you drop them, they bounce....maybe you can invest in gold and silver bullion......i bought silver rounds for $7 and now silver is at $13 almost double the profit :) Plus, there is no counterfeits if you by from the manufacturer

either way, i would ditch all but your favorite bottles

HH
-GC

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
paul1410 said:
If you believe you have gotten a sign from God, then follow your heart.

If you believe that, there are plenty of superstitious forums where you can infect their discussions with treasure hunting. But I say convert to coins. Easier to move.

M-Squared

Mar 4, 2007
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum XLT & Bullseye II Probe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in the same ball field. I have over 100+ bottles and another 100+ insulators. They are just taking up too much space. This is my game plan. Perhaps you agree on some of my strategy:

Keep your top 5 favorite bottles.
Search the internet (bottle collecting web sites + E-Bay) to determine the rarity and current pricing to make certain that you get top dollar for the rarities.
Sell the common bottles at swap meet, e-bay or wherever.

Depends on the amount of your proceeds and your current financial health status on where I would put the money next. If you have your heart set on investing in coins, concentrate on key date, upper grade coins NOT common date silver. There's always real estate and the stock market to give you better returns as well as higher risk! I don't know how much risk you can afford and how close you are to your retirement years so I cannot give you my two cents worth on that. Good luck in whatever you decide!

M-Squared

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread