thermal cameras

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why spend all the money on a thermocam? Just get a good non-contact laser thermometer. All you are looking for are temp changes on the hillside.

Mike

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is your target Animal, Vegetable, or Mineral?
Marvin

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Non contact thermometer would probably work great for you in early morning as Gollum said. Another thought would be to get a cheap digital camera and mod it to get rid of the IR filter. Doesn't even have to take pictures as long as you can look through the view finder. I modded a security camera and plug it into a laptop. you can get a good one for under $50. Yeah, I know different wavelengths blah blah but for &50 it's a great tool. Add in a pole from a lightbulb changer, and you can reach 15' up or down. Lots cheaper than a drone.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why spend all the money on a thermocam? Just get a good non-contact laser thermometer. All you are looking for are temp changes on the hillside.

Mike

Because the maximum measuring range and accuracy can be affected by atmospheric conditions (water vapor or carbon dioxide) the maximum range is generally limited to approximately 100 feet.
The accuracy of the handheld IR thermometer is primarily determined by the distance-to-spot ratio (D/S Ratio). This ratio is the size of the area being evaluated by the IR thermometer as it relates to distance. In other words, the area being measured becomes larger as the distance increases. The smaller the target, the closer you should be to it. This ratio will have a significant impact on the accuracy or precision of the reading. If the target you are measuring is six inches in size, and your handheld infrared thermometer has a D/S ratio of eight to one, then the maximum distance at which you can reliably measure the temperature of the target is 48 inches (8:1 x 6 = 48). Beyond this distance, not only is the target being measured, but whatever else falls within the "spot" is being measured as well. This means that if a very hot object is the target, and it is in cooler surroundings, then measurements taken beyond the maximum distance will include cooler elements, lowering the "average" of what is in the "spot."

OP
OP
A

alex141

Greenie
May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
-o-
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for the good advice.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I'm curious------If you are looking for temperature differences wouldn't everything inside a cave be about the same temp? Unless, of course, if it were a bear.:dontknow: I hope I haven't overlooked anything and appear dumb.
Marvin

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452654260.815469.jpg

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I'm curious------If you are looking for temperature differences wouldn't everything inside a cave be about the same temp? Unless, of course, if it were a bear.:dontknow: I hope I haven't overlooked anything and appear dumb.
Marvin
You're looking for the cave that would heat & cool differently than the surrounding area. Not so much as looking for something inside the cave. NO! you don't sound dumb!

OP
OP
A

alex141

Greenie
May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
-o-
Primary Interest:
Other
that's correct. My target is set in a manmade adit, culvert or a natural cave like enclosure. I would expect that under the right circumstances there would be a temp difference from the exterior surrounding ground rock that should be detectable with a thermo devise.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because the maximum measuring range and accuracy can be affected by atmospheric conditions (water vapor or carbon dioxide) the maximum range is generally limited to approximately 100 feet.
The accuracy of the handheld IR thermometer is primarily determined by the distance-to-spot ratio (D/S Ratio). This ratio is the size of the area being evaluated by the IR thermometer as it relates to distance. In other words, the area being measured becomes larger as the distance increases. The smaller the target, the closer you should be to it. This ratio will have a significant impact on the accuracy or precision of the reading. If the target you are measuring is six inches in size, and your handheld infrared thermometer has a D/S ratio of eight to one, then the maximum distance at which you can reliably measure the temperature of the target is 48 inches (8:1 x 6 = 48). Beyond this distance, not only is the target being measured, but whatever else falls within the "spot" is being measured as well. This means that if a very hot object is the target, and it is in cooler surroundings, then measurements taken beyond the maximum distance will include cooler elements, lowering the "average" of what is in the "spot."

All the science etc is OKey Dokey. But we're not talking 1/16 degrees in small areas. All you're trying to do is multiple samples across an area. If you shoot 10 spots along a bank or hill and all but one or two are the same then you just move closer and shoot that area to find the cause. It's the same thing as scanning a wall to locate spots with no or little insulation in the wall, or following a hotwater pipe in cinderblock. a 10 or 20 deg. difference is plenty accurate.

Also, you don't need a big expensive Fluke or something. Even the cheap Harbor Freight one will suffice for this application.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The outgassing is a great way to find caves... unfortunately a good thermal imager can be quite expensive.

Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 7.27.17 PM.png

OP
OP
A

alex141

Greenie
May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
-o-
Primary Interest:
Other
Question: If my target is a significant weight of metal, buried or concealed in a small pocket or cave in the hillside no deeper than 3 feet, would a simple metal detector work?

thermal

Jun 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
garrett...
Primary Interest:
Other
Question: If my target is a significant weight of metal, buried or concealed in a small pocket or cave in the hillside no deeper than 3 feet, would a simple metal detector work?

The simple metal detector is 3 feet deep if the material is too heavy.
5-10 kg weight should be minimum.
Because the depth of residue mass and volume must grow:hello:

Last edited:

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one that you plug into an iPhone, about $200, I think Flir 1? I returned it because my boss wouldn't reimburse me for it even though I used it for work and saved them hundreds of dollars finding the leak rather than calling a leak detection company. I found a hot water pipe leak under a concrete and tile floor with it, pretty much pinpointed it and was able to bypass the pipe in the wall instead of destroying the tile and concrete. I don't know if it would work in your case but it was pretty cool.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread