Garrett AT Waterproof Pro-Pointer AT -- Why Wont It Stop???

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett AT Waterproof Pro-Pointer AT -- Why Won't It Stop???

This is my 3rd Garrett pinpointer, the first two were not waterproof and couldn't handle my obsession with hunting in all types of weather. So I bought the waterproof version... while it works in the mud, water, etc, the damn thing won't stop beeping. Once it finds a target I have to quickly turn it off for fear that it will go into crazy beeping mode. Sometimes it will hit a target and shift into a fast paced beep that doesn't stop. No matter how many times I hit the button to run through the cycles, it won't stop. I usually have to turn it off and wait a few minutes before it will work properly again. But sometimes even that won't work.

What am I doing wrong? It's so frustrating because I usually only get about 30 minutes out of it before it starts going crazy and stops pinpointing.

Any help or advice is much appreciated. Cheers!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd send it back. Mine works great. I think it works much better than the regular one. Sometimes you get a lemon
They'll make it right.

HH, Relic Nut

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd send it back. Mine works great. I think it works much better than the regular one. Sometimes you get a lemon
They'll make it right.

HH, Relic Nut

That's a good idea. I thought it was just me. Thanks for the suggestion. ; )

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hum.... my Vulcan 360 does almost the same thing. Every now and then it "runs away" starts beeping slow and keeps getting faster until its beeping like crazy.

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Batteries low?
I put a new battery in and it still does it. I even take the battery out to try and reset it and it still does it. It's so frustrating, especially since this is my 3rd one and stupid me-- I never sent in the warranty cards.

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin stuck to it? :icon_scratch:

I wish! No, it works just fine for a while, then goes crazy. I just found a bell and I thought due to the size that it's just starts screaming but it seems to do it all the time. Going back to check the manual.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah something wrong, mine does not do that. Contact Garrett! It's a great pin pointer, sorry you got the one made on Friday before Christmas break :(

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah something wrong, mine does not do that. Contact Garrett! It's a great pin pointer, sorry you got the one made on Friday before Christmas break :(
Good to hear I'm not alone. Now mine is stuck doing the same but now in vibrate mode, no tone. So frustrating! I always have to end my hunt early when the thing starts going nuts.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it will go nuts like that if the battery is low. If it is a low battery warning the tone you will hear is warbling, if its the regular pin pointing tone then it may be that something is wrong with it. When you said that you turn it off and on and it works for a while and then goes crazy, that sounds like a low battery issue. My pro-pointer came with an EverReady from the manufacturer and I had to replace it after about 1 hour of use. Switch to a Energizer and see if that helps, and never EVER use a dollar store battery. In my experience this pin pointer requires accurate voltage, and cheap batteries don't have what it takes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it will go nuts like that if the battery is low. If it is a low battery warning the tone you will hear is warbling, if its the regular pin pointing tone then it may be that something is wrong with it. When you said that you turn it off and on and it works for a while and then goes crazy, that sounds like a low battery issue. My pro-pointer came with an EverReady from the manufacturer and I had to replace it after about 1 hour of use. Switch to a Energizer and see if that helps, and never EVER use a dollar store battery. In my experience this pin pointer requires accurate voltage, and cheap batteries don't have what it takes.

Ok Doc, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

SouthTexasHunter

Mar 8, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My AT pinpointer does exactly the same thing. Its not the batteries. Ive changed them several times with quality fresh ones. It is just defective. Ive been meaning to send it back for a couple of months now but I just keep procrastinating even though I had to go back to my Vulcan 360. The Vulcan works well but just doesn't have the range of the AT Carrot.

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same prob and i sent it back. The other one work s ok.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have your purchase receit I am sure Garrett will make it good. I would go on line to their web site and contact them - they will reply with instructions also give you a RMA number. Just have one of my carrots really worn down just quit on me and in about 8 days I received a brand new one. Good Luck!!!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be the weather conditions. My Ace 250 acts up in hot, humid weather and also in really cold weather. It sometimes beeps at the end of a sweep of the coil for no reason. When it does that in hot weather, I remove the cover to expose the batteries, which usually solves the problem. In cold weather, nothing works. Have to call it a day when it gets too annoying.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
It's a good idea t go ahead and send in warranty cards but don't worry about it. Call them and they will take care of you, guaranted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread