MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Another Hot summer season is upon us, but ahhh you can't hunt its to hot... Stop your crying and prepare yourself. Wear white, yellow, or bright colors that reflect light and heat. Take a white T shirt and Soak it in ice water in a cooler. Wrap the T and tie it around your head repeat this as the water drys. Drink plenty of water, or sport drinks. Hunt under the trees in the shade. People die from the heat so I just want you all to be safe. Please feel free to add tips and tricks to beat the heat. ;)

Keep @ it and HH!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
hunt early or late in the day. avoid the afternoon sun

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These worked great when we were in Italy. Can't find it now that I could use it in Georgia. >:(

http://www.coolbandanas.com/cool_banditos.htm

You could make your own by sticthing some water absorbing shammy cloth into a bandanna.

HH.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Read this, it helps:

http://www.kayaklakemead.com/dehydration-heat-exhaustion-stroke-prevention.html

Also, they say your water bladders loose water if something is pressed against them, but I got one of these to prevent that. It's cheap and easy to install:

http://www.rei.com/product/727447?vcat=REI_SEARCH

Some other tips, are to wear white like posted above. I always wear a white t-shirt for this very reason. Also, wear a hat of some sort to keep the sun off your face and shoulders. Wear baggy clothing too, tight clothing allows more contact between your skin and the heat. Baggy clothing creates a "shaded" barrier between you and the sun. I always take some Tylenol in case I get a headache. Also, stay away from rocks and such, they hold in the heat for hours and hours and hours, sometimes overnight if it's hot enough during the day. If your hiking in a super hot region, like around central AZ or Death Valley, it probably won't get cool at night, so plan for that. You'll sweat at night also. During the day if you need to rest, don't sit on the ground, find a rock in the shade, that's been shaded all day like under a tree, and sit there. If you sit on a rock you're going to get hotter because there is more heat near the ground than where you head is when your standing up. It won't do you any good to sit, it'll make you worse. Find shade, either from a cactus, or a tree, or a cave. If you get really really bad, and you have a small shovel, you can sometimes dig into the dirt a little and find some cool dirt. Only do this if you have the energy though, as exhausting yourself digging could be detrimental.

Some other advice is to find your water sources BEFORE you head out, if your hiking. It's best to know where you need to be, than to get over heated and have to hunt for water. Also, if you get frustrated, please stop and rest in the shade. Irritability is a very early sign of being over heated. If you keep pushing it you'll end up with a stroke.

NEVER GO ALONE. Ever. I don't care what your doing, or where your going, but always take someone with you. For one you can do twice the work if need be, and for 2, one of you will have a stronger tolerance to heat than the other, and lives can be saved with a buddy. Another tip is to always let someone know exactly where you'll be and when you'll be back. Then, if your gone too long, they can send someone looking for you. Try not to stray too much off the planned path, it makes it easier for rescue crews to find you.

Also, please please please go prepared. Take emergency supplies. It's better to be safe than sorry. And don't forget matches. Just because you're in the desert don't mean you won't need a campfire at night. They're not just for warmth, but to fend off predators, and alert people of your location if need be.

Lastly, here are some stroke/dehydration symptoms to look out for, either in yourself or your partner:

http://www.umm.edu/non_trauma/dehyrat.htm

edit:
Also, if you can, hike out before your planned hike and stash water at points along the path. This way you have a back-up plan if you need to.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Sheldius said:
These worked great when we were in Italy. Can't find it now that I could use it in Georgia. >:(

http://www.coolbandanas.com/cool_banditos.htm

You could make your own by sticthing some water absorbing shammy cloth into a bandanna.

HH.

You might check in the sporting section of WalMart. They had some last year for about $5.
If you want to make your own, look for one of the following names in your garden section. Expanding Crystal, Plant Gel, Hydrocrystals, etc.

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
Here's a quick tip.
Soak a bandana with water and pour some "Sea Breeze" on it. Tie it around your neck and it'll help ya feel cool. (Not as a replacement for hydration, tho.)

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Sports drinks are fine but they do not replenish water as much. A medic always mixed 1/2 diluted Gatorade, he said that the sports drink replenishes, but the water refills. Another one is if you ain't pee'ing you ain't taking in enough water...damn I hate it when he's right. A teammate never drank much fluids, he found out the hard way. Now he likes the taste of diluted Gatorade ;D.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always take a cellphone with you and tell others where you will be hunting just in case you need assistance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread