Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2016
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Whites Beach Hunter
Whites Surf P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am always happy to give help/advise online. However, I will NOT tell anyone where I live and places I travel to hunt. I will NOT post my finds. I will NOT post my picture either.

People approach me regularly if I am in a accessible location. Most start talking to me and I can barely hear them with my machine on. I do try to act like I can't hear them, hoping they will see I cannot hear, am busy and trying to concentrate. But often I have to stop, remove my headphones, smile and politely say "I'M SORRY I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER MY MACHINE" (hint hint) and then they want to ask what I'm doing, if I ever find anything valuable, what's the nicest/most expensive thing I've found or some jug-head goofball tells me they "lost a gold band" (If I had a quarter for every time I hear that one).... This takes away from trying to concentrate on what I am doing.

My answer to people about my treasure finds- "coins, trash and LOTS of pull tabs".

Being helpful to other "detectorists" is good. If I posted details of my finds, I'm very certain I will receive messages from people wanting to find where I live and hunt and then it wouldn't be treasure hunting anymore. I'd be giving copies of "the map with the big :cross: on it" away (FINDS) and leave myself open to potential theft.

Consider this- Wouldn't it suck if after you spent a lot of time and money plus countless hours of researching an area for days or weeks, found a great piece ad decided to brag- went back and found 2, 3 or more people waving detectors in the place(s) you put so much effort in figuring out and pulling what YOU had hoped to find?

I know some of you nice folks feel an irresistible need or urge to show off your finds. It makes you feel special. Some of you I'm sure would like to be looked at and revered as the metal detecting bad ass of your area, this site or Youtube. Just remember, be careful with your words & pictures. Good luck to all (No bad intentions to hurt feelings were present when I typed this....Maybe a little sarcastic humor.) and I hope 2016 brings all who work hard for it- lots of treasure. Whether it be gold, artifacts or MEMORIES. You can still be a bad ass. Silence is GOLDEN..... LOL- literally!

NoBootyYet

Dec 3, 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was a lot of sharing from someone that seems to be opposed to it! I learned how to use a detector while "bothering" a good friend of mine. Keeping things to yourself has its value but I think that most of the sharing on this site is kinda inspirational.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And Hello to YOU to! :skullflag:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself have my own spots, like most on here. I don't see how taking a picture of finds on my picnic table, deck etc etc is going tell others where my finds came from. Most people on here enjoy showing their finds and that is why I keep coming back. If all posts were like yours, not many would join. I wish you much success in your hunting, but I think most people on tnet enjoy the thrill of the hunt as much as sharing it--my own personal opinion.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And Hello to YOU to! :skullflag:

:laughing7: Arrrrr! I'm going to steal yer gold! :laughing7:

I see both sides! I haven't found anything good to post lately or :icon_scratch: Since I've been on the site really! So, I just say" well, uhhhh...... it's private!"

But hey! If you post too much information and someone steals your loot? I guess it happens. Privacy is a good thing too!

Ohh and if anyone wants to know where I found my rusty nails,poptabs,or corroded penny? I'm not tell'n!!!!!!!

Just jkg with you OP. I see your point! :laughing7:

On the other end of it! If I ever found anything good?after hours of research? I'm not sure I would post pics or share even an approximate location! Just for the reasons you mention! So, I do get what your saying there. That happens in all areas of life, not just detecting. There has to be some secret! It keeps with the whole treasure thing!

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm...
I wonder ...

Is that why this happened at my spot ?

digging-holes.gif

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FYI, my 4 silver dollars were found in front of the house at 1338 Cordova Ave. Ft. Myers, FL 33901
I would give my left one to have a hunting buddy down here... Metal Mistress, If you live in SW Florida, PM me, maybe we can hook up for a hunt.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want your stuff in your area. I want my own stuff in my area. I want to learn techniques and get reviews of machines from you and to see that said stuff is out there still to find.

I feel I could post this in the gold prospecting forum as well.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been posting finds here for nearly nine years and have never been asked where I was hunting or to give away a location. I did have an issue with someone from a local club hounding /harassing me to give away a producing spot though, so I have learned not to share specific location details. But then again, while I have had some good finds, certainly nothing banner worthy. If you are having that kind of luck, God bless.

I do get the nosy folks in the park and the same questions about our most valuable find. Im willing to chat a minute or two, I can't blame them for being interested or considering getting into the hobby, and then I tell them if need be that I need to get back to hunting. Interruptions like this are just part of park hunting, if I really want to be alone I can hunt at dawn or head to the woods.

Tnet is a great place to post and to hang out but if no one posted their finds, it would be mighty dull. I just keep my fingers crossed that I am fortunate enough to find something post worthy so I can do my share of entertaining.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can avoid all of this...

Just by a simple metal detecting outfit...

MAy I suggest something along these lines...

NO ONE will bother you... Cept maybe a few cops. :P

paulhmd.jpg

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can avoid all of this...

Just by a simple metal detecting outfit...

MAy I suggest something along these lines...

NO ONE will bother you...

View attachment 1262491

Now! I'd dress like that just to catch reactions of people on video! That would be some funny stuff! Give him an eye patch, and a parrot.(not directed to you TH.:laughing7: may need to borrow one though!) Add a few other things like the biggest shovel you could find. And send him into a play ground sand box to look for change with one of those 2 or 3 foot coils, I use to see on display machines years ago! That might make for some good reactions from curious people to catch on video!:laughing7: Then have him pull a treasure chest out from below the swing set!

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My dear MM,
Welcome to Tnet, sounds like we won't be seeing anything from you. That's ok it's a free country.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't remember ever seeing someone ask where they hunt on Tnet. I also look at pics that are posted, and I wouldn't have a clue where they were dug, nor do I care. I enjoy seeing the finds. Gotta :icon_scratch: on this one.

Nice first post: Welcome!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To each his own.....my location is in my user name so no great secret there as to where I am.....I started about 1993 almost exclusively park hunt locally.

2 guys in my area started about 10 years before me and hit most of the sites pretty hard so I've still managed some ok finds as you can see from my avatar.

I'm not doing this to put food on the table just for fun so it doesn't really bother me one way or the other whether others choose to hit my sites....mind you they're getting pretty lean these days...lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I am always happy to give help/advise online. However, I will NOT tell anyone where I live and places I travel to hunt. I will NOT post my finds. I will NOT post my picture either.

People approach me regularly if I am in a accessible location. Most start talking to me and I can barely hear them with my machine on. I do try to act like I can't hear them, hoping they will see I cannot hear, am busy and trying to concentrate. But often I have to stop, remove my headphones, smile and politely say "I'M SORRY I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER MY MACHINE" (hint hint) and then they want to ask what I'm doing, if I ever find anything valuable, what's the nicest/most expensive thing I've found or some jug-head goofball tells me they "lost a gold band" (If I had a quarter for every time I hear that one).... This takes away from trying to concentrate on what I am doing.

My answer to people about my treasure finds- "coins, trash and LOTS of pull tabs".

Being helpful to other "detectorists" is good. If I posted details of my finds, I'm very certain I will receive messages from people wanting to find where I live and hunt and then it wouldn't be treasure hunting anymore. I'd be giving copies of "the map with the big :cross: on it" away (FINDS) and leave myself open to potential theft.

Consider this- Wouldn't it suck if after you spent a lot of time and money plus countless hours of researching an area for days or weeks, found a great piece ad decided to brag- went back and found 2, 3 or more people waving detectors in the place(s) you put so much effort in figuring out and pulling what YOU had hoped to find?

I know some of you nice folks feel an irresistible need or urge to show off your finds. It makes you feel special. Some of you I'm sure would like to be looked at and revered as the metal detecting bad ass of your area, this site or Youtube. Just remember, be careful with your words & pictures. Good luck to all (No bad intentions to hurt feelings were present when I typed this....Maybe a little sarcastic humor.) and I hope 2016 brings all who work hard for it- lots of treasure. Whether it be gold, artifacts or MEMORIES. You can still be a bad ass. Silence is GOLDEN..... LOL- literally!

Question: Why are you here? I feel like I just got spanked, and sent to my room.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myself and most members of this site are careful not to give out to much information about our sites. And I think most of us aren't looking to puff out our chest. I could care less what other people think of me or my finds, never did. However I do enjoy sharing my finds and stories with like minded people and am glad there's others here that do the same. Without them this site wouldn't exist and I wouldn't have learned what I have unless I invited a dozen experienced guys to go along, and I dought they would where Blindfold's

HH, Relic Nut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread