How to find investors?

treasurefinder_USA

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2016
La Jolla
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings fellow treasure hunters,

In theory, if you had convincing proof of a treasure cache (for example video evidence), and permission from the local authorities to retrieve said treasure, but a recovery would be expensive (for example a shipwreck salvage), where would you turn to find investors?

To be clear, I haven't found a treasure, but I am curious to know what your thoughts are. I imagine even with convincing evidence finding financial backers would be difficult, given all the risks involved.

What are your thoughts?

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
team up with an existing,financed treasure or salvage outfit.this will both give you an education from those who actually know what they are doing.they will already be equiped...a major advantage.you could accept a smaller profit percentage and still come out with more gain as their expenses will be so much lower than a start up not to mention the faster recovery and connections for cash conversion.

treasure recovery on a larger scale is a pretty formidable challenge for a newbie.almost impossible.the lack of credible expierience will shut down private funding for the most part.the very high risk for investors will require them to demand very high return percentages.

good luck

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the "local authorities" now know about a "treasure" you discovered, what's to stop them from salvaging "their" treasure?

Trolling treasure websites is one way to get attention from neophytes, but no one that has paid their dues with hours and hours of hard work, shoe leather, waiting in meeting rooms, and sleeping in airports is going to just tell you how they funded their operation.

Best of luck! :skullflag:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you have "convincing proof of a treasure cache" but are under-capitalized, I suggest you look at the situation from the investor's standpoint.

What does he expect you to bring to the table? What 'skin' do you have in the 'game'?
If you are looking for big bucks, a Business Plan is a 'must'. There are several elements to expensive treasure hunting (especially ocean-type ventures) that need to be covered in the BP to give you a chance to raise capital.

If you don't have these elements, that 'void' should be disclosed in your BP--including how you will obtain those missing elements.

You mentioned (in theory) "permission from the local authorities to retrieve said treasure" would be part of your contribution. Great ! But has that 'permission' be reduced to writing and signed by a person with the proper authority? Does that 'permission' also discuss the conditions of salvage (retrieval) and the percentage of ownership?
Do you have (or are you) an attorney who can review your 'permission' agreement (and other contracts that will arise in this venture?)
I'll stop here--but note there are about six elements you will need to cover in your BP to get the investor interested.
Don.....

S

stefen

Adding to what others have mentioned, being a finder of a treasure does not usually make that person a good business manager, or one with insight to counter future road blocks.

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
And you will be giving up your total control of the retrieval. If I'm an investor you can be sure I would want a say in what/how things get done. That's my money you are using.

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the "local authorities" now know about a "treasure" you discovered, what's to stop them from salvaging "their" treasure?

Trolling treasure websites is one way to get attention from neophytes, but no one that has paid their dues with hours and hours of hard work, shoe leather, waiting in meeting rooms, and sleeping in airports is going to just tell you how they funded their operation.

Best of luck! :skullflag:
What would make you say that. People are always willing to show how to get money. They wont tell you where their treasure is but for sure there are those who are very much willing to show one how to get backing.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
GoFundMe

Some people will throw money at anything :laughing7:

Jan 20, 2016
Edmonton A.B
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you have "convincing proof of a treasure cache" but are under-capitalized, I suggest you look at the situation from the investor's standpoint.

What does he expect you to bring to the table? What 'skin' do you have in the 'game'?
If you are looking for big bucks, a Business Plan is a 'must'. There are several elements to expensive treasure hunting (especially ocean-type ventures) that need to be covered in the BP to give you a chance to raise capital.

If you don't have these elements, that 'void' should be disclosed in your BP--including how you will obtain those missing elements.

You mentioned (in theory) "permission from the local authorities to retrieve said treasure" would be part of your contribution. Great ! But has that 'permission' be reduced to writing and signed by a person with the proper authority? Does that 'permission' also discuss the conditions of salvage (retrieval) and the percentage of ownership?
Do you have (or are you) an attorney who can review your 'permission' agreement (and other contracts that will arise in this venture?)
I'll stop here--but note there are about six elements you will need to cover in your BP to get the investor interested.
Don.....

Ive worked on this project for three years. My team and i have the Historical Chronology close to completed, our hypothesis is that the treasure lies in 30 feet of water, our next phase is to put a fish in the water.

these goals are attainable. but funding for a dive is something else.

over all my team and I are 15,000$ in, the treasure, estimated worth 350,000 to 1.5 million. Big gap but for a investment of say...30,000 what would be a fair percentage?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Greetings fellow treasure hunters, In theory, if you had convincing proof of a treasure cache (for example video evidence), and permission from the local authorities to retrieve said treasure, but a recovery would be expensive (for example a shipwreck salvage), where would you turn to find investors? To be clear, I haven't found a treasure, but I am curious to know what your thoughts are. I imagine even with convincing evidence finding financial backers would be difficult, given all the risks involved. What are your thoughts?

Ive worked on this project for three years. My team and i have the Historical Chronology close to completed, our hypothesis is that the treasure lies in 30 feet of water, our next phase is to put a fish in the water. these goals are attainable. but funding for a dive is something else. over all my team and I are 15,000$ in, the treasure, estimated worth 350,000 to 1.5 million. Big gap but for a investment of say...30,000 what would be a fair percentage?

This is a wee bit confusing. Are you two partners? The first person identifies as "I", and the second guy says "We". Needs to be some clarification here. What's the deal? Tnet isn't a place to solicit money, only advice.

Found this as another separate thread:

Im finding it hard to ask questions without revealing specific information about our project, i think mostly im curious if anyone else here has investigated any underwater gold cashes. your experience would be invaluable. Also, if there is anyone who reads this and is familiar with the early history of British Columbia i would love to speak with you ,, This project my team and i are working on may gain the attention of Government, or find itself in some legal dispute, IF you;ve been there...i would love a chat

The first post said the authorities knew about it. This one said that it may gain the attention of the government, or find itself in some legal dispute.

That should be straightened out prior to any solicitation of "investments".

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make up a hoax. It's done in mining all the time.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you have tangible evidence, not many people will be foolish enough to throw money your way. Tangible evidence would be actual gold coins or bullion, not a grainy underwater video showing a shipwreck. That Oak Island show is a perfect example of people tossing millions into a rumor that treasure was buried there. WAY too many stories of buried or sunken treasure floating around lately.

If I had a line on some treasure and needed cash, I would ask friends and relatives first. I'm sure they would be happy to make a 20% profit on their investment if you had proof of actual treasure. Banks are not going to loan you a significant amount of money, unless you have the assets to cover that loan (home, land, etc.). Private investors (think Shark Tank) are looking to fleece you for at least half of the booty, while you do all the work. Just my take on it...

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a wee bit confusing. Are you two partners? The first person identifies as "I", and the second guy says "We". Needs to be some clarification here. What's the deal? Tnet isn't a place to solicit money, only advice.

Found this as another separate thread:

The first post said the authorities knew about it. This one said that it may gain the attention of the government, or find itself in some legal dispute.

That should be straightened out prior to any solicitation of "investments".

This confused me as well Deep!??!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread