Video: 1882 Rifle Found in Nevada last year, leaning on a tree!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool, but can't help but wonder why there was no in situ pictures of it leaning as it had all those years.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
150115035524-winchester-rifle-large-169.jpg images.jpg The original article that was run on it showed it leaning against the tree as it was found...pretty cool:thumbsup: I'm not real sure, but it seems like this was found about a year ago....

Last edited:

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool, but can't help but wonder why there was no in situ pictures of it leaning as it had all those years.

At about the 4:30 mark, there appears to be a picture of the rifle against the tree.
Look closely at the projector screen in the background.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Last year I posted the entire story and links to the original articles the day the news of the discovery had just come out. You can see all the in situ pictures and read the original articles here:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...del-1873-rifle-found-against-tree-nevada.html

I read recently that the rifle's lever mechanism was actually discovered to be damaged so it was only capable of firing one bullet at a time. This may have been why it was abandoned out there. Perhaps the owner simply had a better gun and was tired of lugging the defective one around.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wondering why the wind, rain, and snow did not knock it over. It looks in great condition to be outside all these years. Nice pictures and gun.

Yehuwdiy

Jan 6, 2016
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Nugget Snoop Pro, Garret Euroace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Average rainfall in Nevada must be low, or very low humidity, for it to have survived for so long in such great condition.

Yep...Snowfall is 18 inches. The average US city gets 25 inches of snow per year. The number of days with any measurable precipitation is 41. On average, there are 253 sunny days per year...that would do it!

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been following this story since day 1.

THIS is the kind of stuff that should dominate the news EVERY NIGHT.

~Tejaas~

Yehuwdiy

Jan 6, 2016
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Nugget Snoop Pro, Garret Euroace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been following this story since day 1.

THIS is the kind of stuff that should dominate the news EVERY NIGHT.

~Tejaas~

Amen. Forget the fearmongering and nourish a sense of wonder and excitement.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story, gotta be a few more around, you could have walked by 30 feet away and not noticed it. Reminds me of an article years back where a guy found a field full of cavalry sabers stuck in the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread