If you could live anywhere in the world for the metal detecting hobby?

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I started metal detecting when I was working and living on the isthmus of Panama, which, in my opinion, is one of the best places in the world to practice our hobby with the incredible history, numerous places to detect both on land and water, and relatively safe to do so. Now I live in Bogota, Colombia but it really isn't a good place to detect considering petty crime is rampant and there is a good chance you'll lose your detector if you pull it out (whether by street thugs or the corrupt police). When I visit the Chicago suburbs (where I am from), I quickly see it is also not a good place to detect (lack of history, ridiculous laws against metal detecting, etc.).

I work in a field that I can pretty much choose where I live for a couple of years at a time and this got me thinking- If you could live (not visit but live) for a couple of years anywhere in the world to practice the hobby, where would you go? Obviously, the place would have to have an abundance of incredible history, but variables like safety (ability to detect) and quality of life are factors, also.

For me, places like:

Panama
Southern United Stated near civil war battlefields (I see all the places NuggetNoggin' has at his disposal and it is hard not to be envious).
Various Florida beaches
England
Italy
Peru
Ecuador
Various Caribbean islands

So where would be your dream place to live to practice the hobby?

Last edited:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania area for one. Then England and maybe Russia.

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Depends on a persons interests.

I have interest in Colonial America, so any area that had early colonies (in America) would be good for me.

However, as many early colonial artifacts were imported from other countries, especially England, I now find myself following metal detecting find videos from the UK.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would live in the whitehouse,be president and enact laws allowing the hobby unrestricted on all public land(except historical monuments)....first I would make it legal for us to even visit public land.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would move back to my hometown, Plymouth, MA....
Wait...it's cold and snowing there, so nevermind.

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think England would have the best hoard chance ?
:2barsgold:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Holy Lands.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably southeastern Europe/Balkans. Bulgaria, Macedonia, Croatia, Slovenia, Hungary, Romania or Ukraine would all kick arse for the Bronze Age through Roman era artifacts and coins lurking in the dirt. The chance to dig ancient hoards of bronze spears axes and sickles, or pots of ancient Greek silver trumps most other places.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If not worried about laws? South of France/Spain along the Mediterranean. When not hunting just enjoying the views. Then go inland when the water is cold...old lands.

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some really excellent replies! Lots of votes for England and justifiably so...

Plumbata- I used to live in Hungary for 3 years and I'm bummed that I didn't partake in the hobby at that time. I underestimated how much I enjoy the hobby until I moved here where it just isn't practical. I'll be sure that my next destination has more opportunity.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they find some really nice stuff in Europe.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was stationed In Germany we used old bomb shelters in the hills for training I wish I could have detected those areas along with many other places I visited in Europe

Last edited:
OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you could pretty much pick out any country in old Europe and find some forest preserves to go hunting (and have a good chance of finding something worthwhile). I wonder what countries in Asia would be good for metal detecting? Japan and anything on the silk road seem like good places.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. England 2. New England States in U.S. 3. Either of the Carolina's ( My votes are for dreaming purposes only. I live in Illinois, a state rich in history & have made some outstanding finds here. Don't really want to live here anymore other than to metal detect & continue making great finds. )

Last edited:

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to detect in the battlefields of Gettysburg!

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wouldn't change a thing - I'd keep digging Texas History.

~Tejaas~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread