Metal Detective For The Day

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I got back this afternoon after the trip over to Bartlesville. I was asked by an attorney's office if I could help locate a bullet and a fired shell casing on a murder investigation.

They picked me up at a convenience store here in town so no gas expense. 8) It's about 70 mi. each way or a little over an hour drive. I took along 3 detectors and a couple of extra coils since they wouldn't give much information about the scene or where it was located.

It turned out that the crime scene transpired in a cow pasture about 150 yards off the highway. The attorney for the prosecution said that the dash camera recorded what sounded like 4 gunshots but that only 3 cartridge cases were recovered. They showed me where the body was found and I started working a grid pattern from that point.

The soil was so clean that I didn't have any mineral problems or erratic signals except when the coil wire slipped down after it hung up in weeds over a foot high in places.

I only heard 6 signals in 1 1/2 hr. Two were beer cans probably washed down from the highway, two were some old fencing wire, one was maybe a piece of bullet jacket, and the other was a Taser dart.
At 1st I was suprised at the dart, as they hadn't told me that there was one used. But that was at my request as all I wanted was the location and position of the body. Any evidence found and it's location would speak for itself. They told me afterwards that the Okla. Bureau of Investigation (our state's version of the FBI) had found one dart and the 3 cartridge cases. I can't really get into the details since it's still an active case but supposedly there is a discrepency in the number of cartridges the officer had in his possession between two different reports.

We didn't find any cartridge cases even though I expanded the search to about 50 yards in most all directions. They videotaped the two main finds and after about 2 hr. we called it quits and headed in. They bought me lunch and dropped me back at the convience store. I don't know for sure how much I'll get paid, but they'll drop off the check at the shop Wednesday. Who knows, it's possible they'll use me again when they need a Metal Detective. :D

BTW, I did find one other thing after getting home. A tick decided to hitchike and was locked on in the armpit. I got it out and scraped the spot good and doused the bite with alcohol and peroxide. Everything should be good but will keep an eye on it.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Wow that is a really cool story,free lunch and they pay you. I was curious as to how they selected you to detect over there? Have you worked with them before or have some friends in law enforcement? I have a very good friend who lives down in Dallas that grew up in Bartlesville,in addition I had a teacher in high school 20 some years ago that was from bartlesville too(I live in IN),HH and keep us posted about the investigation oh and how much you get paid to have some lunch and do some detecting :}...Shoot

OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Well, I have friends in L.E. but not in that area. I have a bit of background in investigations (but more along the arson side). I know the senior attorney of the law firm as well as one of the junior members. The junior member brought my name up I guess and gave me a call. I believe the area hunted was just south of Bartlesville. I'll do what I can with the investigation info. Lunch was about $10 and at an excellent little Mexican place called Senior Salsa. The free chips were really fresh but the salsa had a bit too much cilantro for my taste.
The case is a bit interesting in that the deceased suspect supposedly had (shall we say) intimate knowledge of the deputy's wife. :P

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see several lessons to be learned from this case. :D :D Great job Stoney just one more way we can look good in the publics eye.
Burdie

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Stoney, that is just an awesome story. You make us all look good. You get to follow the case, get out detecting for pay, and a good lunch. (I know what you mean about too much cillantro, pretty strong stuff). Please keep us posted!

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Dash cam? And it was a murder? Ummm! Ok,you did good,Mr Stoney.I think you deserve a Honorary promotion of rank on tnet or at least an Achievment award,if only verbal.It must have been an enjoyable experience,except for the tick,that is.Hope they use you again.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Just figured i'd throw this one out there... but the attorney that hired stoney is most likely representing the bad guy ;D... um... alleged bad guy. My guess is they are trying to discredit the firing officer. (That's what I'd do... even though I don't do any big criminal cases anymore).

There was some question about the officer and the number of rounds fired... Ya get the officer to commit to a number ("I fired 3 rounds")... then you show the jury that he was wrong ("We found 4 shell cases"). The inference is that if he was wrong about that, he was wrong about everything else... that can be enough to sway 1 juror. And in a murder trial, you only need to convince one.

Either way... good work stoney
steve

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Great job Jeff! Great to know we have people out there making us look good and having a great day of paid detecting and lunch in the process! Can't beat a day like that!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story Stoney.I believe spez401 is correct in his assumption of the case.Which detector did you decide to use?

OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
spez401 said:
Just figured i'd throw this one out there... but the attorney that hired stoney is most likely representing the bad guy ;D... um... alleged bad guy. My guess is they are trying to discredit the firing officer. (That's what I'd do... even though I don't do any big criminal cases anymore).

There was some question about the officer and the number of rounds fired... Ya get the officer to commit to a number ("I fired 3 rounds")... then you show the jury that he was wrong ("We found 4 shell cases"). The inference is that if he was wrong about that, he was wrong about everything else... that can be enough to sway 1 juror. And in a murder trial, you only need to convince one.

Either way... good work stoney
steve

Steve, you pretty much hit it on the head. Let's say this, the suspect (deceased) was pulled over for x reason. At some point he bolted. The officer gave chase, fired several shots, tried a Taser (the dart was about 8-10 paces from where the body was), one gunshot hit deceased in back of elbow, deceased went down on one knee at least. Final shot was to the head.

diggummup said:
Great story Stoney.I believe spez401 is correct in his assumption of the case.Which detector did you decide to use?

diggummup, I used the DeLeon with the 9X10 factory coil. I had thought about the 3X18 but the grass was pretty tall in most places and I figured that trying to press down and fight an 18" long swath might be too tiring. Some areas, I just used the factory coil like a snowshoe to press the weeds down. I took all three with me more for the fact that they were in the Jeep and I didn't want to leave them just sitting in plain sight while I was 70+ miles away.

CG, warsaw, Burdie, Cynangyl, Sherm, spez, shootist: To you all, thanks for the comments and compliments. You all might have some cards made up and leave them with your local Sheriff and police dept. as well as with attorney's offices (usually the receptionist keeps better track of business cards than the attorney's themselves) ;) No offense spez. Also don't forget insurance agents or adjusters.

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
The deceased was shot in the back of the head, The fear the Deceased must have experienced prior to his death,Hopefully Stoney56 has helped out the right team.

OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I appreciate the comment ronald99. I believe the atty was hired by the deceased's family. In all do respect, I don't choose teams to support or not support. I just locate any evidence missed the 1st go around. I try to make no judgements at the scene. The attorney's present the evidence and the courts and jurys decide.

OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Just in case anybody's curious. Just got a call from the atty's office. They're cutting the check. For 2 hr drive time (their vehicle, gas, and driver) and 2 hr hunting time....$300.

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
That is a nice dollar amount !!!!

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Congrats! WTG! Ok, next you will be vying for my spot on NCIS..... ;D
==Mel

borninok

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I'm surprised they are putting a case together.In that area of OK in the ol' days,there was a lot of shootings/disappearances.Was also a kinda big city mob influx.I know of one or two farms(ranches) that stretched 70-80mi from KS into OK and they still rode them on horseback with rifles.They didn't always ask anyone to leave,the trespassers just disappeared.And I ain't sayin' no more.Said too much already.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread