Windows 10, Tnet, the refresh icon, and screen freezes.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My older Toshiba PC died recently and I had to go out and buy a new laptop.
Money is kind of tight right now, so I decided to save a little and buy an inexpensive under 300 dollar HP AMD, with windows 10.
I have been having some problems with tnet and also other sites that are running lots of ads.
Since I'm not real familiar with tnet settings and windows 10, I was wondering if yall could help me.
I keep getting the refresh icon when viewing pages and my computer will not let me scroll or type until the icon goes away.
Its really annoying. Sometimes it doesn't happen real often, but sometimes it happens like every 5 seconds making it virtually impossible to type or view pages.
Not sure if its a tnet issue, an adware issue, windows 10 issue, or just the fact that I bought a crappy laptop.
This happens on other sites too sometimes, especially if there are a lot of advertisements running.
This issue started right from the get go, as soon as I bought the pc.
Some sites with no ads run smoothly, but sites with ads run slow, or they give me that refresh icon freeze issue.
I only bought the computer for email, ebay, news, and tnet, which was why I didn't get a nicer pc. Didn't think I needed a Cadillac to do those sort of things.
I almost took the computer back, but decided to stick with it.
Unfortunately since this issue started, I haven't wanted to view peoples finds, or respond as much.

I just went to General settings/interface/ and changed the setting from enhanced to basic settings and now I'm not having problems typing this text, but normally I have issues.
I also just unchecked, Show Signatures and Show Avatars.
At the moment I will say my computer is running better now, but I'm unsure if this smoothness or clarity will continue.

Was wondering if anyone else has these problems with tnet or windows 10, and if there is anything that can be done.
Thanks

Last edited:

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunately, there's so much crap going on behind the scenes on web pages, if you don't have a processor that is pretty quick, that will happen. Especially if you have slow internet connection. At work we have an extremely slow internet connection, and it does the same thing yours does. No problem at home, same company, and much faster speed. I live 2 blocks away, and can't understand why the business connection is dial up compared to residential here.

My guess, internet speed.......

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Use Firefox. Install the "Adblock Plus" and "Adblock Edge" plugins as well as the "NoScript" adon ...

Ads gone, as well as the information gathering and other crap that goes on by advertisers.

Thank Massive Incorporated (no, not a made up name) that Bill Gates bought to finish Vi$ta. They were the largest DIGA (Digital In Game Advertising) company of the day.

Like "Call of Duty" back in the early days? They knew if you saw their ads (like a pepsi machine), how long you looked, from what angle ... did you try to interact with it? They knew that too. Codemasters gaming made the widest use of the software and really ticked off some people and in fact started a war over there not long before their old forums were shut down.

If you don't like firefox, get peerblock (or whatever it's called today), gather the IP addresses of the offending scripts and block them.

It isn't Windows 10 that's your problem, it's the paid advertisements that are gobbling up the bandwidth of both your internet connection and your computer's processor while they gather data about you, your searches, and anything else they can get access to on your computer.

Oh, and don't forget about the Forum Foundry's scripts that, when they go wonky, your computer isn't happy and locks up.

Be well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfortunately, there's so much crap going on behind the scenes on web pages, if you don't have a processor that is pretty quick, that will happen. Especially if you have slow internet connection. At work we have an extremely slow internet connection, and it does the same thing yours does. No problem at home, same company, and much faster speed. I live 2 blocks away, and can't understand why the business connection is dial up compared to residential here.

My guess, internet speed.......
Yeah youre probably right. Its probably a combination of slow internet and poor processor speed.
When entering a site with lots of advertisements the computer gets bogged down trying to run the ads and all of the other hidden info.
Its ashame this site has to have so much going on at once.. as I feel it may discourage some people from coming here.
I know it has discouraged me. If it wasn't for some of the great people ive met here, and the excellent help with ID's, I probably wouldn't come here.
I will say it seems to be running a little better now, since I made those changes in my General Settings, that I mentioned earlier..
Did I mention I hate Windows 10 and the new browser. Maybe once I get familiar with it, I can figure out how to alter some things/settings.
Thanks for responding digger 460

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Use Firefox. Install the "Adblock Plus" and "Adblock Edge" plugins as well as the "NoScript" adon ...

Ads gone, as well as the information gathering and other crap that goes on by advertisers.

Thank Massive Incorporated (no, not a made up name) that Bill Gates bought to finish Vi$ta. They were the largest DIGA (Digital In Game Advertising) company of the day.

Like "Call of Duty" back in the early days? They knew if you saw their ads (like a pepsi machine), how long you looked, from what angle ... did you try to interact with it? They knew that too. Codemasters gaming made the widest use of the software and really ticked off some people and in fact started a war over there not long before their old forums were shut down.

If you don't like firefox, get peerblock (or whatever it's called today), gather the IP addresses of the offending scripts and block them.

It isn't Windows 10 that's your problem, it's the paid advertisements that are gobbling up the bandwidth of both your internet connection and your computer's processor while they gather data about you, your searches, and anything else they can get access to on your computer.

Oh, and don't forget about the Forum Foundry's scripts that, when they go wonky, your computer isn't happy and locks up.

Be well.
Thanks Chadeux. I just read your posting after responding to digger.
I may try that firefox. Ive heard of it, but I have always been leary about using those type programs.
I don't know much about it, but I just always assumed that would be one more program running that could slow you down or give you additional issues.
The freezing even happens in my yahoo email, until I disable the ad that runs in the right hand corner.
Freakin thanks Bill Gates = Schmuck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So i just installed Firefox and the fore-mentioned add ons.
Wow, no adds on tnet, or my email browser.
Firefox is going to take some time to get used to, but i think im going to like it.
Sorry about all the bashing tnet, but those ads really ticked me off.
It was very frustrating trying to type, when a sentence takes 3 minutes to type.
Thanks again Chadeaux.

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So i just installed Firefox and the fore-mentioned add ons.
Wow, no adds on tnet, or my email browser.
Firefox is going to take some time to get used to, but i think im going to like it.
Sorry about all the bashing tnet, but those ads really ticked me off.
It was very frustrating trying to type, when a sentence takes 3 minutes to type.
Thanks again Chadeaux.

Treasure Hunter suggested to download Firefox because I was having a LOT of problems viewing Tnet also and some other sites. I did and instantly everything GOT BETTER!!!! Thanks, T.H.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do they have firefox for a phone?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Firefox was produced by Mozilla, which actually introduced the first browser (Navigator? - brain ain't working well right now) about a year prior to Microsoft launching Internet Explorer in about '95.

My point in saying, you can trust Mozilla (unless someone buys them out)......

If you explore the Mozilla Firefox website, you should look at adding "Ghostery" (also produced by Mozilla). That blocks adds and tracers. In addition, I use Zone Alarm to block backdoor entry, Avast Internet Security, and Super Anti Spyware. Got popped about 18 months ago, and my son who drooled on the keyboard of our Apple II from the time he was born, sent me to those services. He now works as the head geek of a multi-billion dollar land management corporation. He passed me a very long time ago.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an LG & has an Android picture on one of the app screens...can you tell I get lost easy in the electronics stuff? Lol!

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It's an LG & has an Android picture on one of the app screens...can you tell I get lost easy in the electronics stuff? Lol!

Ok then. Just go to the Google Play store and type in "Firefox". Download it then get your addons by going to "tools" in the menu then clicking on "get addons" - search for "adblock plus" (without quotes of course). Install adblock plus and adblock edge. Next do a search for "noscript" and install it. Your ads will be gone, or at least that's how it is on my tablet.

BUT ... if you're using a tnet ap or something like that, you won't get rid of the ads ... ever.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If anyone ever wonders why Tnet slows down so much, visit this page and scroll down to the v-e-r-y -- l-o-n-g list of advertisers that link to you when you log on without something like adblock ....

treasurenet.com Technology Profile

There are 49 different advertisers listed here --- however, many listed as advertisers are actually data mining like Liverail, Rocketfuel, and others.

What do data miners do? They dig into YOUR browsing history, record your clicks at Tnet ... and I'll stop there before I scare everybody away.

... makes me think of my colonoscopy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread