Am I breaking my own code of digging ethics?

leslie(nova scotia)

Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the land of the Bluenose.....I am a firm believer that this is a hobby and not for a profit sort of thing. I have never sold anything that I have dug up before save for a tin of junk that I was going to throw out and a Bud from PEI said send it over and we'll go 50 50 ( made $400 USA on that which financed a trip to dig in Yarmouth for a few days) but a retired Mountie at work wishes to buy the ring that is in the photo.

What are your thoughts about this as I'm of a mixed train of thought on the issue that to me is not going to be a new trend nor norm but a possible one shot special thing?
47b7d830b3127cce85e7081136a800000026108AcM2bhk4ZN2

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I would think if someone noticed the ring and would really like it that if you are not terribly attached to it then I would sell it just because it would make him very happy. Just my opinion though ;)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leslie,

I have sold only one thing I ever found...it was a silver WV chauffeur's badge from the early 1930's...and the offer the guy made to me I really couldn't turn down at the time. (This is why I don't like to "show off" my finds :D.) So I think it would be different if I had been in another situation at the time. I think it is o.k. to sell your finds, but I personally don't do it much (1 find in 15 years, and not my best find, I might add). Otherwise, we run the risk of getting addicted to other things besides the hobby itself. Besides, my finds speak to my abilities as a detectorist. No amount of money can replace all those hours of research and hard, sweat-filled hours in the field to locate sites. For me, it would be like selling off items on your resume! Unless I am in a tight spot financially, I wouldn't think of selling anything...

So long story short... if you need it, do it. If not, wait. Give your children something to value and treasure.

All the Best,

Buckleboyi

R

RUDY2003

I'd say if he really wants to buy it, sell it...
Keep safe...

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
By all means sell it :) You finds are yours unless it something that you think you could return to a previous owner. If you are not attached then make the other guy happy. Trust me when I find that rare $200,000 coin it's going to the auction ;D Then I can upgrade my detector ;)

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have everything I've found including clad except for the first gold ring I found. I gave that to my mother in law. She really liked the ring and I knew my wife would never wear yellow gold even when it had a bunch of small diamonds. I thought the ring was too pretty to sit in a draw so I said what the heck. Sometime I get feelings of regret but I just think about what I've would have done with it and I see her wearing it then the regret goes away.

I've also made a decision recently that whenever I want to purchase something else for this hobby I'm going to fund it from the hobby. I'm recently married but prior to that when I wanted a new detector I just purchased one and did not think twice about it. Now that I have a family I would rather spend my money on them so going forward the new detectors get purchased with clad and wedding bands (no not my wedding band). I'm still going to keep my old coins and unique jewelry.

Good luck with your decision. Only you can decide how you feel about selling your finds. You could also tell the buyer how you fell and make a deal that for a few months you have the option to buy it back. That may make the decision easier and who knows once it is done you may never think about the ring again.

NJ

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find Leslie! I have not sold anything yet (have given things away) and do not really plan to but, if I find something worth a lot I would sell, just too many things I could with the cash and I really do not have a great attachment to my finds for reasons pertaining to my MD permit as they can take what I find in Bavaria. Would be nice to sell something that you are not attached to and get a nice trip out of it or even a tank of gas or three, LOL. And if it would make someone happy, why not? What will you do with the ring? HH and good luck with your decision, Mike

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
I read and re-read the responses and I wonder why some people feel we aren't entitled to make some money back with our hobby. It will in most cases never be a for-profit hobby if we count the cost of our machines, plus the time we put into our hunts, and travel expenses (gas here is $3.40/gal.). It's your item to do what you want with it. If your not attached to it, sell it to him. It will surely make him one happy person. You'll always have a picture of your find. I don't get to attached to anything materialistic. So if you see something I've found, you know what to do people... ;)

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have no special attachment, sell.
If it is a friend, (you found it), think of
giving it to him free. That would be nice.

"The only things we ever keep are what
we give away." ;)

have a good un....
SHERMANVILLE

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
SELL SELL SELL....
When I find that really nice piece of jewelry, you better believe I will send it packing.
The only thing I might hang on to would be some really old coin that would only grow in value.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
This person obviously has a special attraction to the ring. I can't tell from the picture, but does the ring have anything to do with the Mounties, which would be the person's attraction to it? Since he's offered to buy it, ask yourself if it is something you yourself would like to buy if it was in someone else's possession. If not, no big deal. You found it, and that's the greatest thrill. Take lots of pics of it and let it go. Make someone happy. You can't take it with you. ;) -Noodle

diggitdoggie

Sep 26, 2006
Ohio
I think that if it makes someone else happy and you are not terribly attached to it then giving someone else some happiness from something you may not be attached to or even something you are attached to is a nice feeling.
I would sell/give it to him.
:)
DD

Canadian Cossack

Dec 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
I know your not in it for the money, but I think it's OK to sell something like that ring because it's likely going to a good home and will be worn and cherished by someone who apprecaites it.

I'd strike a deal, buy a case of beer to share with my hunting buddies and then I'd spin a yarn about a ring I found... then sold... not for the money, but because the guy really wanted it!

Just make sure you keep some pictures to back up your stories!

Oh ya, I'm from Nova Scotia too... can I come to the beer party? :-)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could always barter. Trade him for one of those pistols-on-a-string or Smokie Bear hats they wear.

As far as ethics and found value. Rememember in the parable of the servants the one who found disfavor with his master is the one who buried the coins instead of putting them to work or investing them for interest. ;)

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
barter..........if not that sell it!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
Better yet...give it to them ! 8)
that was my thought also
and tell him to keep out his "blue nose" for good spots to detect 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions