Little help in Oregon?

killaz

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! Found this site today while sitting on a conference call at work :) Anyhow I am looking for a place to take my 9 year old son camping, as well as panning. I would prefer to hit eastern Oregon if possible (I hunt Heppner love that area). Can anyone point me in the direction where one could camp as well as do some simple panning with some color.? I hear down south in Oregon is good also. Where would you guys recommend I take the little guy to possibly have some luck?

Thank you all

Killaz

S

stefen

Try Gold Beach on the south coast...the name says many things...

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the forum...scroll way down....click on TreasureNet by Locations...click on Oregon. I'm over on the west side of the Cascades, not much gold over here. Now, over around Medford, Gold Hill and Grants Pass, where ever the Rogue River runs through, you can pan for gold. Some of the folks that live around there may be able to steer you in the right direction. Good luck and have a great time!!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might also post in the Gold Prospecting or the Gold Panning forums here on Treasurenet. I believe there are several folks from Oregon there.

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold you'll find on the beach in Gold Beach is minuscule. The entire coast line is lined in gold but its protected state scenic land. You will find some but its finer then sand because gold is less adamant. People have pulled nuggets out of the Upper Rogue river. I remember a few years back a guy found a 4ozer nugget near gold hill.
I hear theres good placer near agnes 15 miles up the rogue from gold beach. There are places here, there are places there, places are found every where. Guy found a couple of gram buggets in nesika beach area with a metal detector. thats 10 miles north of gold beach area.
From panning different areas I have about .25 grams of gold. Nothing spectacular yet.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold you'll find on the beach in Gold Beach is minuscule. The entire coast line is lined in gold but its protected state scenic land. You will find some but its finer then sand because gold is less adamant. People have pulled nuggets out of the Upper Rogue river. I remember a few years back a guy found a 4ozer nugget near gold hill.
I hear theres good placer near agnes 15 miles up the rogue from gold beach. There are places here, there are places there, places are found every where. Guy found a couple of gram buggets in nesika beach area with a metal detector. thats 10 miles north of gold beach area.
From panning different areas I have about .25 grams of gold. Nothing spectacular yet.

Whaleshead beach, Nesika beach, Gold beach and Sixes...the beach and the river in particular. There has been OZ's and OZ's of gold pulled out of the Sixes river. Wheeler creek, 4th of July creek and many others in Curry county have a rich history.As far as the beaches...the black sands are very rich, you just need to learn how to process -100 material.
There has been a lot of fine gold pulled from these beaches.

It is VERY fine gold.

beach gold.jpg

If you are on or near the Oregon coast this book is a must have.

a2079181455d99cfb7a7ed_l__71537.1411474772.386.513.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

killaz

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on! Thank you guys for the site tips, books, and places to check in too, very much appreciated. I'll be sure to let ya know if me and the little guy get lucky:occasion14:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...most of all, have a lot of patience and fun with the "little guy"....building memories!!:thumbsup:
Right on! Thank you guys for the site tips, books, and places to check in too, very much appreciated. I'll be sure to let ya know if me and the little guy get lucky:occasion14:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rouge river around Galice. Hard nort to find a color. Regulated on what you can dig with though.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stay away from Ontario sister inlaw is there :censored:

OP
OP
K

killaz

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHAHAHA I will keep a sharp eye out for any inlaws mine or any others..

Well my son has put a challenge ahead of me. I work with wood all the time, and he wants to build a small sluice box for us to use the week we are down there. I will be pulling some info and notes from the site during the build. Ill be sure to post up some pics for anyone that would like to critique the build as it goes along. Thank you all again for the tips, it has been a big help.

Adam

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHAHAHA I will keep a sharp eye out for any inlaws mine or any others..

Well my son has put a challenge ahead of me. I work with wood all the time, and he wants to build a small sluice box for us to use the week we are down there. I will be pulling some info and notes from the site during the build. Ill be sure to post up some pics for anyone that would like to critique the build as it goes along. Thank you all again for the tips, it has been a big help.

Adam

:icon_thumright::icon_thumleft:

This is on my "coming up next" list

drop riffle two.jpg

wood sluice box drop riffle.jpg

OP
OP
K

killaz

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHOA now that is some riffles

OP
OP
K

killaz

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks again for the tips. I am on the search for a nice little cabin to rent for a week, preferably along a river/creek. If anyone has any suggestions leme know

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whaleshead beach, Nesika beach, Gold beach and Sixes...the beach and the river in particular. There has been OZ's and OZ's of gold pulled out of the Sixes river. Wheeler creek, 4th of July creek and many others in Curry county have a rich history.As far as the beaches...the black sands are very rich, you just need to learn how to process -100 material.

It is VERY fine gold.

View attachment 1268032

View attachment 1268033

A permit (which was free anyway) is no longer required to run a sluice on Oregon beaches, including State parks.

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is VERY fine gold.

View attachment 1268032

View attachment 1268033

Oregon Beach Placers. Gold Prospecting at the Oregon Coast

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is VERY fine gold.

View attachment 1268032

View attachment 1268033

A permit (which was free anyway) is no longer required to run a sluice on Oregon beaches, including stse parks.

Oregon Beach Placers. Gold Prospecting at the Oregon Coast

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread