Spanish Maps in the West

Mayan Hunter

Jan 25, 2011
Utah desert
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Colt 44/Fisher Gemini lll/Minolta 400 SLR
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
First off, in comparing notes with a fellow treasure hunter of spanish caches, We're both convinced that the Jesuits were heavy into mining. They were the ones to mark the trails with signs in the rocks leading to the main entrance of the mine. They also marked the signs opposite of what the King ordered. What that means is the BIG signs were at the end of the trail. And in 100% of the cases the head or face is pointed or looking to where the entrance is.

Recently I found a head looking across a canyon and spotted a white eye catcher. It was pointed like an arrow head pointing to the left. Following to the left about 200 feet away were 3 square stones next to each other. This is the sign of the Jesuits. It represents Father, Son, HolyGhost.

Hiking up to the 3 square stones, it turned out to be one large stone that had been notched to appear like three. From those 3 about 40 feet west we found a large stone turtle with its head pointing straight up, front feet perfectly shaped and the body appeared to be buried. Directly east we found another turtle with its head down and pointing down and in towards the other turtle. Evidently its not the tail that points to the treasure, its the head. And all these years I've been mislead about that. Completing the triangle was a large white eye catcher rock. And in that area, as soon as the snow melts we should find the cache.

All the trails were marked in the mountain tops with a "U" shape, or a "W" taking out the middle hump. After you see that you just drive or hike up toward the U shape, keeping an eye peeled for lighter stones, eye catchers. Look all around the eye catcher for the next sign, and don't forget your camera. Take lots of pictures. The spanish always put a small 'x' near their signs to show its spanish and not mother nature. And there was supposed to be 2 trails cut. Look for "hearts" in stone (GOLD) symbol. Actually they only marked Gold mines, the king was only interested in gold. When you see the head, thats the big sign, you're almost there. Even if you have to climb up next to the head to see what its looking at, do it.:hello2:

In the area I'm in the spanish were here in 1575 until 1810. They all left hurriedly in 1810 to fight the mexicans in a long war that they eventually lost. They cached all they had mined near the entrance of the mine and covered them up. Also in about 1700, there was a BIG earthquake, that caved many mines and many miners were lost. So the King ordered that a parallel tunnel be dug 15 to 20 feet away as a rescue tunnel. They never covered this one. So if you see one not covered, open, that's the rescue tunnel, I call it the 'Dummy Mine'. You'd be a dummy to explore it because there is nothing in it. It's fooled many. However if you find one get out your 2 box and check all around the entrance for the REAL mine's cached entrance.

Buy a copy of Kenworthy's Trail Monument Markers. It will teach you what to look for as far a faces and other markers, like a compass rock. And if you see 3 stones under the compass rock, its Jesuit. Eventually the king arrested the Jesuits and deported them around 1760, but the damage had been done. By the way, the Jesuits never paid the king his 20% tax. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Mayan Hunter

Mayan Hunter

Jan 25, 2011
Utah desert
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I forgot to mention this but I've seen hundreds of these monument entrance markers all through New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Idaho, So. Oregon from the major roadways, I-15, I-80, I-70, and any major state roads. Look for area's with springs, gold could be in the spring or near them. Usually in mountainous area's. Even near small farm towns.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Me thinks you're reading way too much into random objects, scars on the landscape, etc.... I mean, sure: If you lie on your back, and look at the clouds in the sky long enough, you can see a smiley face, or a cow shape, etc.....

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Me thinks you're reading way too much into random objects, scars on the landscape, etc.... I mean, sure: If you lie on your back, and look at the clouds in the sky long enough, you can see a smiley face, or a cow shape, etc.....

That is true, but if YOU weren't there to see it, don't discount it.

Be well.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where in the general area of So. Oregon are you talking about??:dontknow:
I forgot to mention this but I've seen hundreds of these monument entrance markers all through New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Idaho, So. Oregon from the major roadways, I-15, I-80, I-70, and any major state roads. Look for area's with springs, gold could be in the spring or near them. Usually in mountainous area's. Even near small farm towns.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Mayan Hunter, If you have actually seen these markers, go for it.
On the "U" marks, they represented the mule tracks and showed direction. The older trails used the closed end to show the direction to go, but some spanish miners made these marks in reverse to disguise the route. With these, you followed the open end of the "U". Just a thought. Frank

S

stefen

WAG...Reading between the lines it doesn't appear that anything of significance has been found or you wouldn't be divulging these facts. Sounds more like yur on the trail and still searching...it's like we can see the smoke but Can't find the fire...

How long have you been looking?

Does it look like you can see the light at the end of the tunnel?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... if YOU weren't there to see it, don't discount it.

If someone were to say "little green men came out of a flying saucer and pointed me in the direction of treasure ". And if you were to express doubt about the likliehood of treasure there .... Could your statement also be applied to that too ? Ie.: that it can not be doubted , unless someone were there to dis-prove its personally ?

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If someone were to say "little green men came out of a flying saucer and pointed me in the direction of treasure ". And if you were to express doubt about the likliehood of treasure there .... Could your statement also be applied to that too ? Ie.: that it can not be doubted , unless someone were there to dis-prove its personally ?

Sorry, won't engage in a pee pee match.

Bye.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Those Spaniards, what a generous lot they were. Always willing to share their riches
with the commoners! Even marking each one for the next fella to find and enjoy.

OP
OP
Mayan Hunter

Mayan Hunter

Jan 25, 2011
Utah desert
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm going into retirement after this last one, soon as the snow melts. I'll post some faces so you can get an idea of what to look for. Like I've said Kenworthy's books can teach you that too. One thing Kenworthy never published was finding the final treasure. I'm confident that the actual secret is THE BIG signs are near the mine entrance, which is always covered up when they left the area. Thank the Jesuits for that

To add to the adventure, don't forget the Death Traps. Kenworthy has another book, "Death Traps to Treasure" catchy name. 80% are BIG rocks ready to crush the un-suspecting. Yes those Spaniards were generous as soon as you get past the traps.

There are hundreds, maybe thousands of mines waiting to be found.

I do have 2 leads for anyone who lives in or near Albuquerque, NM.

Research Unlimited, great place to buy books related to cache hunting. Public library for old books, 90% is research 10% in the field.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... "Death Traps to Treasure" catchy name. 80% are BIG rocks ready to crush the un-suspecting. Yes those Spaniards were generous as soon as you get past the traps......

someone's been watching re-runs of Raiders of the Lost Ark, eh ?

I thought (because Hollywood movies never lie), that such caves with treasures were in the Himalayas, Peru, and Egypt ? But now "hundreds, maybe thousands" of booby-trapped mines/caves are here in our desert SW , eh ?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... Even marking each one for the next fella to find and enjoy.

Why yes. You "hide" them , so that no one else can find them . That's what the word "hide" suggests , eh ? (lest why "hide" it?). But then, sure: You put all sorts of turtle clues everywhere, to show strangers where you "hid" it. Then booby trap it with boulders and poison blow-darts, etc.... so you have a dickens of a time when they day ever comes for you to come to try to even retrieve your own loot. Makes perfect sense to me too.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yeah Lastleg, who needs monuments and markers when you have one of these babies!

This is my Jesuit GPS, handed down for generations. It works, but I can't find batteries for it.

jesuit_gps_zpsvydtejbn.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mayan Hunter

Mayan Hunter

Jan 25, 2011
Utah desert
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Photo on 2016-02-13 at 17.29.jpg
Photo on 2016-02-13 at 17.43 #3.jpg

Attachments

• Photo on 2016-02-13 at 17.33.jpg
    Photo on 2016-02-13 at 17.33.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Photo on 2016-02-13 at 17.48 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2016-02-13 at 17.48 #2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Mayan hunter, you think those odd shapes and lines in rocks point to treasure ? Why can't they just be randomly occurring natural features, that have nothing to do with treasure ?

Example: There a rocky outcropping feature in a mountain park in Maui (Hawaii) that .... if you look at it just right, squint a bit: It looks like the face of John F. Kennedy :

Iao Valley State Park, Maui, Iao Needle, West Maui Mountains, Portrait of JFK

Yet no one suggests for a second that this is man-made. It's just a fluke of erosion, a random shape, etc.. Same for staring at the clouds long enough: You'll see a bunny, a cow, a smile-face, etc.... Means nothing, and doesn't point to treasures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread