Can anyone tell me what exactly this is?

Marguerite

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    542.1 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    537.6 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    575.4 KB · Views: 100

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All i can find is that Alexander Wright started business in 1896 and made electronic measuring equipment, and something called a flicker photometer --the company was in business 119 yrs, now closed up. :icon_thumleft:

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It looks like the needle is actuated by the brass bellows? Measuring atmospheric pressure?

I don't see any wires or whatever, to be electrical? Any wires or hook ups on the back?

Interesting to me, because I dug some rotted thin brass bellows about that diameter in a field that has dozens of items from early/mid 1700s to around 1840....but the bellows seemed "out of place" in this field. But mine are so rotted away, I think they must be quite old, if other brass things I find are not eaten up as badly.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Agree with CTwoods about the bellows. The instrument also appears to be broken as I assume the needle should be on zero.
The problem with atmospheric measurements is the numbers are wrong. For instance barometric pressure is in inches Hg.
You could go to Ebay as they sell a lot of old vintage instruments.
?? What's the brass plate say?

OP
OP
M

Marguerite

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brass plate just says 'alex Wright and co ltd. Westminster'

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it have a hole in the bottom or out the back where a hose or fitting may have been attached to the bellows? I'm looking online and they made different instruments. Pressure and gas related to do experiments with, I guess. That was from a quick search, I didn't dig real deep.:laughing7:

OP
OP
M

Marguerite

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there is a hose pipe coming out of the bottom!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
CT woods has the bellows right. I think it is used to measure something and the bellows is used to compensate for atmosphere variations only. It could even be used as some sort of scale indicator. It's like a meter, doesn't do anything until you hook it up to something. Jest my guess, Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread