After nearly forty years of metal detecting!

Kenkoehn1950

Jan 18, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think, based on what I'm gathering from all of you metal detecting enthusiasts, that I am finally figuring out why I haven't been successful in pulling older stuff out of the ground. I have a White's Spectrum XLT and a Garrett AT Pro and have pulled out an occasional Mercury dime, a Rosie or a Washington quarter, but nothing from the 1800's or early 1900's. I am finally coming to the conclusion, again based on what all of you have said, that if that is my goal, then the targets that give a loud, clear signal at 0-4 inches are not the targets I necessarily want. I am looking for the deeper targets that give off an "iffy" signal, correct? I'm guessing I'll still pull out my share of junk, but will also be pleasantly surprised from time to time. I've always blamed my lack of success on the "highly mineralized" ground here in Denver, but once this gosh darned snow melts, I am going to give my theory a try and hopefully be able to display some nice gold or silver on this site!

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Spectrum is a nice machine and I've found many nice items with mine. I still have it although I've upgraded. You have to dig all the low numbers to get into the gold area. Many many will be pop tabs, and then bang, a gold ring. Dig those iffy signals, and the ones that just whisper to you. Good luck and happy hunting.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ken,

I've dug 30 or so gold rings over the years and pretty much dig everything from foil and up regardless of depth.

And to make it a bit more challenging most of my sites were heavily hunted before I started...lol.

Regards + Bill

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
kenkoehn, what you are saying is only true, if you're working locations that are stratified according to depth. Typically turf is this way, for instance. But if you get out into chaparral type terrain, hard-pan deserty type terrain, etc.... then depth is not as pronounced for old vs new. Same for old-town urban demolition tearouts, etc.... Lots of places where you need-not go deep, to get oldies.

So the much BIGGER recipe for getting old coins is where you hunt :) But yes, if you're working turf, then sure: depth is going to get the older stuff. And be aware: That even though you might get a famed turf-deep seeker machine (like an explorer for instance), your battle is only half -waged: A good step to make next is to purposefully pass any signal that is less than 5" deep. Yup, even quarters, gimmee clad, and kiss shallow gold jewelry goodbye. Reason is: That if you keep stopping to dig all the shallow stuff, your mind will become self-consciously tuned to the loud "bongs". Such that even though you have a machine that can grasp deeper whispers, you are subconsciously not tuned to them, and are spending your entire day digging the shallow stuff.

Although you might *think* you can have the "best of both worlds" in the turf (shallow plus deep silver), it never seems to work out that way.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of the silver I dig is shallow (seated quarter practically laying on the surface). 1"-4" seems to be the zone for silver locally.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe that both detectors you own, will find the old coins you desire. Are you one to hunt permissions, or do you continually hunt the same public lands, over and over? All of my 19th century coins have been dug on private property. People have been actively detecting the town I reside in since the mid 70's. A majority of the older coins have been dug, especially around the mansions in town and around the old school.

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know your area and soil types etc...

But I am a colonial era relic hunter in CT. I spent the afternoon at a lost cellar site 5 minutes from home. It is now a pasture and trampled by cows during grass season. I was so shocked that I got the 4 best 1700s fancy design flat buttons I have ever dug, and all were 2 to 3" deep...maybe a tick more. 2 early spoons down 5 or 6 but they are HUGE targets.

I don't recall any of my oldest coins being very deep at all.

If you think your soil is bad, can you make a test garden and let it get rained in and settled...maybe that would help figure things out?

Sometimes we sweep too fast and we don't overlap by 1/2 coil. You will miss deeper and iffy hits that way. You might barely clip the center of a deeper coin with the edge of the coil, then it might seem like a false, so you don't try to center right over it. A deeper small target sometimes takes a few concentrated passes, just to get a repeatable hit

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After 40 years I'm guessing the reason you're not finding it is cause it ain't there.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about the whites but just got an atpro. The only place I can hunt right now is the shoreline of Flathead Lake. It easy digging and to learn it I'm digging everything because it's so easy to dig. The amount of iron is outrageous. What I'm learning is the atpro will find the deep coins but the most important thing is tone of signal. Visually the I'd is all over the place but in all that iron you can still get a good tone and find a coin. I guess what I'm trying to say is if I were looking for a nice solid visual id I probably wouldn't have dug a almost nothing.

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the xlt is a great machine.you need to learn more about it.the more you learn how to tweek it the more youll start finding better things.listen to the machine close and read the vdi,s.i found my oldest coin so far an 1809 large cent with my xlt at 12 in.your ground has alot to do with it also.damp ground and low iron is the best.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of my oldest finds have been deep "iffy" signals (where the numbers jump around with just a faint high tone). When you are at an old site dig everything and remove all trash that you find. That trash can and will mask out other nearby targets. I couldn't tell you how many times I've dug and removed a few tabs or other trash, rescanned the hole, and pulled out an Indian or other old coin nearby.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You just never know. I have dug mid-1800's coins in parks as shallow as 4" deep, yet in those same parks, modern clad coins as deep as 8".

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
You have to remember that Colorado became a state in 1876. It is not going to have the old history - mansions, buildings, churches, ect as the eastern states do. In addition Denver has had a large and active metal detecting community for many decades. My old coinage I found in Colorado pales in comparison to the old coinage found back east. Your best bet is private property not detected by others.

Detecting over 50 years
George

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do your research go to the library get maps. talk to the old timers.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ken, I would ask you one question. Are you detecting in the older places ? The older places hold the older coins / items. I hit local parks, schoolyards, etc. for quite a while before I started researching & going to farmers fields, & door knocking on homes that were built in the 1800's. I would also find the occasional Merc. or silver Rosie until I found new ( older ) places to hunt. Then the Barbers, Seateds, Large Cents, etc. started to show up. And yes, you are also right in listening for the very faint deep signals. Just don't ignore the blasters either. I had one like that in a field I thought would be a can, & it turned out to be a Morgan Dollar. Good luck.

mndigger48

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All old finds are not always deep I've found old coins and relics in as little as two inches, hunt sites that are older late 1800s to early 1900s.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Western Montana and the only shallow old stuff is found in plowed fields.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to run some tests, get a coin of the kind you're looking for, tape it to a stick, dig a few holes of different depths and wave your detector over it, and listen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread