just wondering if anyone has ever done this??

dtsnmike240z

Mar 7, 2007
missouri for now
Detector(s) used
ace 250
i was thinking about etting a garret pinpointer. bagging it up in zipplocks, and heading to the local beaches. i can hold my breath pretty long and would take my gogles and check the deeper end of the swimming holes. probly only 10-15 deep. but do you think it will be worth while. and i am going for a pinpointer cause they wont alow a detector. i figure i could sneek this by.

has any body ever done this? did it work? am i crazzy?.. lol i'm pretty sure i am on that last one. ;)

thanks for your opinion.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF it is Illegal, Don't do it.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
jeff of pa said:
IF it is Illegal, Don't do it.

Good words to think on. A pinpointer sounds off on close proximity to metal thus it is a metal detector. If you have to sneak it by then you're breaking the law. BTW, Missouri does allow metal detectors on some of their swimming beaches.

Metal detecting is allowed only on specific sand beaches in the facilities listed below. A permit is required and may be obtained free of charge by writing to Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Facility and Visitor Services Program, P.O. Box 176, Jefferson City, MO 65102, or by e-mail.

Crowder State Park
Cuivre River State Park
Finger Lakes State Park
Lake of the Ozarks State Park
Lake Wappapello State Park
Lewis and Clark State Park
Long Branch State Park
Pershing State Park
Pomme de Terre State Park
St. Joe State Park
Stockton State Park
Trail of Tears State Park
Harry S Truman State Park
Wakonda State Park
Wallace State Park
Watkins Woolen Mill State Park and State Historic Site

OP
OP
dtsnmike240z

dtsnmike240z

Mar 7, 2007
missouri for now
Detector(s) used
ace 250
ok let me clarify.. would the zipplocks keep the detector safe and dry?

also, they don't like to have anything large other than inflateables in the water. thus a pinpointer might be alowed.
pluss i cannot afford a waterproof detector. question not so much about ethics as it is a question to see if it might work?

:) :)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dtsnmike240z said:
ok let me clarify.. would the zipplocks keep the detector safe and dry?

also, they don't like to have anything large other than inflateables in the water. thus a pinpointer might be alowed.

:) :)

This is why I said it the way I did.

"IF"

I was hoping you were going to ask.
or already did.

You probaly could water proof it by Double Bagging.
I would still use some type of tape on both bags.
& include a small wash cloth in at least one
to soak up water, just in case.

CrimsonDrac

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2007
stoney56 said:
Metal detecting is allowed only on specific sand beaches in the facilities listed below. A permit is required and may be obtained free of charge by writing to Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Facility and Visitor Services Program, P.O. Box 176, Jefferson City, MO 65102, or by e-mail.

Crowder State Park
Cuivre River State Park
Finger Lakes State Park
Lake of the Ozarks State Park
Lake Wappapello State Park
Lewis and Clark State Park
Long Branch State Park
Pershing State Park
Pomme de Terre State Park
St. Joe State Park
Stockton State Park
Trail of Tears State Park
Harry S Truman State Park
Wakonda State Park
Wallace State Park
Watkins Woolen Mill State Park and State Historic Site

Know where I can get a list for Texas? Should I just contact the Parks and Wildlife Dept?

CrimsonDrac

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2007
Thanks Borninok. I will check it out when I get home tonight. I did find out already that it is illegal to MD in any Texas State park or historical site. Unfortunately, except for a big chunk of desert in West Texas, most of the state is one big historical site and most of the beaches are state parks. :(

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A pinpointer still detects metal and is a "metal detector".

If you can find it in the 1" X 1" range of a pinpointer by pushing the detector on it you can probably do as well running your hands through the top 1" of sand or swimming a scoop basket through the sand.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
THe pinpointer is still a metal detector, so technically (depending on the beach/state rules) it's still illegal. Trust me it isn't worth the hassle of trying to sneak it in... for several reasons
1 its a pinpointer... only good for about an inch... 2 at the most. it will take forever to find anything.
2 its illegal, and the resulting fines and legal fees are far more than anything you're going to find with a pinpointer... see #1

as for the ziplock bag keeping something waterproof? don't try it. Ive seen people take camera's snorkelling in ziplocks... bye bye camera. There is a company calle allosak? (not sure on the spelling) that makes small ziplock type clear bags for outdoorsmen. Try Eastern Mountain Sports, or REI... they usually carry them.

and finally... if you're "going to get a garret pinpointer" and then stuff it in the bag... why not just get a waterproof pinpointer? vibraprobe is an excellent one. Or if you want to spend a couple hundred bucks, you can pick up an aquapulse wrist detector. Not a pinpointer.. and gets about 3" on depth. Great for when I go diving
steve

Attachments

• AquaPulse.jpg
    AquaPulse.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 208
  • AquaPulse.jpg
    AquaPulse.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 204

Treasure-Diver

Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE W/ SunRay X-1 Probe
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher Impulse UW Pulse Ind.
Fisher F2
CrimsonDrac,

You can hunt the Galveston beaches till your hearts content. Corpus Christi is mainly all state park beaches with big signs NO METAL DETECTORS ??? Although I have heard if you go way south the beach is no longer state park. I live in Houston. When I'm not at a beach I hunt school grounds and parks (city parks not state parks) There are also many small old towns in Texas that make for great hunting. If you want to try the underwater machine out in Texas try one of the rivers or lakes. I am a certified diver and I have an underwater machine (Fisher Impulse) I will be checking out he Florida Key waters in August. ;D Good Luck finding your ring and maybe a few extras to impress the wife.

Happy Hunting!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What we're talking about here is doing something illegal, trying to detect something where detecting isn't allowed. To be honest, I have experience in this. Things lost in the deeper part of a beach may not be lost on sand, but muck where gold sinks lots deeper. Otherwise you could see items laying on the bottom since there is nobody to step on them.

This takes longer and nobody might not catch on, use a wire grid French Fry basket only and sift the sand. You'd be supprised what you can turn up in places where detecting isn't allowed by the public.

"By the public," is the trick. Get yourself hired to find a lost ring and if they won't allow you to search for it, bring legal litigation. But the fry basket will work the easiest in deep water.

Shame on Me........

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that as said above, if you double bag and also tape the ziplock bags that it will work.

Treasure-Diver

Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE W/ SunRay X-1 Probe
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher Impulse UW Pulse Ind.
Fisher F2
Legal issue aside. (I don't condone anything illegal) Check out any on-line dive equipment site and you can find waterproof camera bags. They should have one large enough for a hand held pinpointer. I would recommend an underwater detector over that. As people have stated above if underwater detectors are against the law there a pin pointer is no different find a legal place to detect or get permission.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread