Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been considering going to these batteries instead of the Alkaline type. 24 of the alkaline cost between 8-10 dollars. The Ultimate cost $15 for 8 of them, going by the manufactures hyp they will last 9 time longer than the alkaline. So 8 Alkaline batteries will get me 20 hours of detecting time.. average cost $3. The Ultimate would get me 180 hours with an average cost of $15. So the Ultimate are $12 less.
They also have a 20 year shelf life and are leak proof (According to the manufacture).
The average rechargeable battery pack has a life of approx 500 charges and cost up to $120 (includes cost of charger), but only runs the detector for 10 hours per charge. So you get a total of 5000 hours life span.

The break down.
Rechargeable 5,000 hours=$120.00
Ultimate 5,000 hours=$416.00
alkaline 5,000 hours=$750.

That's a lot of cash when I look at it now:icon_scratch:, guess I will get rechargeable batteries and a set of the ultimate for backups.:laughing7:

I really deserve a banner for all the math!:occasion14:

edit; 9-14-16
This is an update on the Ultimate batteries actual time lasting in my Safari was an average of 80 hours (I ran three set of these batteries).
That will raise the cost to over $900 to use these.

I have the RNB 3100 rechargeable now, about 40 between recharges. That lowers my cost of batteries to about $45 per year based on 500 complete recharges.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gonna try em Thanks for post

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
A year ago I ran into a 100 pk AA batteries for $22.79 at Lowe's.

Utilitech #0536857

I've powered my detectors, flashlights, and other toys for 14 months now and still have over 50 of them left. I haven't timed it, but the regularly used flashlights last for months. they get well more than 10 hours use in detectors - probably closer to 15 hours till they drain dead. Based on usage, I'll likely get another full years usage out of that 100 pack.

If you can find them - they're out of stock locally for me. But, I can always hit Amazon and find them - just did that and not there. May have been a flash in the pan, but I'll continue looking, got 50 more to go, so I have time.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
i have an unused Canon CBK4-300 battery charger with 4 batteries, got it in a package for some other toy I purchased. My detectors take 8 batteries, so I'd have to purchase another kit at around $44.00. That would cover only one detector at a time for the charge. Total investment there if I chose to do so, would be around $100 considering I already have the one. But I'd be limited to only one device. With the 100 battery packs I can handle every device I use. That's far more flexibility.

I'm not throwing water on the original poster. Thank you for the thread, it provoked my imagination this morning!

OP
OP
clv

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a littler more research late last night and found battery packs for my safari by a company called RnB. According to them their packs would run my detector for at least 30 hours, three x's the Minelab's rechargeable could run it. Cost including the charger $139.
With 500 complete recharges for it's life cycle that's 15,000 hours. So cost for 5,000 hours would be $46 bucks. It's just another option out there.

If I can get 100 packs of alkaline batteries for $25 the total cost for 5000 hours run-time = $500. A saving of $250 over the cost of 24 count packs. Don't buy them all at ounce as alkaline have a shelf life of only 5 years.:icon_scratch:

:laughing7:I need to show my wife that we will save money by going to rechargeable in the long run, her being an account I need to show my math:occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
clv

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
clv

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectorist Rule #43------------------Don't buy regular batteries in bulk from Harbor Freight. Horrible shelf life, plus they don't last, IMO.
Marvin

OP
OP
clv

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's rule #1 for me, name brand batteries only.
Rule #2 no harbor freight for things that I need to depend on.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Clv,

I use the RnB 3100 battery packs for my White and Minelab machines. I own five battery packs and the detecting time is awesome. Of course, there is the cost, but if you look around as I did; you can find them for less than $ 139.00 dollars.

Regards,

Doc

OP
OP
clv

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Doc. I'll be looking at some web sites today to find the best deal as we have no sellers on the west coast that I could find...yet.

OP
OP
clv

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Clv,

I use the RnB 3100 battery packs for my White and Minelab machines. I own five battery packs and the detecting time is awesome. Of course, there is the cost, but if you look around as I did; you can find them for less than $ 139.00 dollars.

Regards,

Doc

Take a look at the first post for the update I added today on performance of the Ultimate batteries.

Doc you are right on the cost of the RnB's and I did find them for less than $139 dollars.
I am very happy with the RnB's.
Thanks

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Civ; Great Thread. I am learning something new here. I don't listen to the Package Hype. I listen to actual In Field Use stats. These are VERY interesting. Keep it coming folks. PEACE:RONB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread