Almost hunted in Nassau, Bahamas

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Just came back from a seven day cruise. Last stop was Nassau, Bahamas. Had my Whites XLT in its black carry case, the one that looks like a brief case. Did not have an opportunity to use it at any of the other ports so I decided that Nassau would be the perfect place since we had booked a beach get away excursion to Black Beards Island Beach Tour.

I had enquired where this great adventure was departing from and was told "at the end of the pier". Since we had noticed that the other ports of call had rows of signs designating the various excursion get aways ( at the the end of the piers) it made sense. My wife, daughter and I are walking to the end of the pier, which is quite a ways off. As we start approaching the end we see lots of people and what appears to be many tourist oriented shops. Just then a man in uniform come over to me and identifies himself as a customs official and wants to know what I have in the black bag. I explain to him that I have a metal detector and that we are off the cruise ship and are heading to a beach trip, where I hope to use the detector on the beach. He then calls another customs official over, she drive up in a golf cart and they begging to discuss the situation. I am asked what the value of the detector is. The woman then says we need to discuss this matter in the office, please come with me.

My daughter is now freaking out over this situation, my wife is concerned that we will miss the beach outing and expressed this to the customs official. He assures her that we will not be that long. Off we go in the golf cart to the office.

We go to a small office where we are introduced to another customs official. The situation is explained to her. She was not looking very happy to begin with and asks me to show her what is in black case. I open it up and show her. She then says that they are concerned that I will sell it to someone before I leave. Tried to explain that I had no intention of selling my detector, but she did not believe me and stated that if I wanted to bring the detector on to Nassau, I had to leave a deposit. I asked how much and was told $300 and that it would be refunded when I returned and showed that I still had the detector with me. I told them that i did not carry that kind of cash with me and that if bringing my detector on to Nassau was going to cause such a problem, I would just bring it back to the ship and put it on board. They agreed to this and sent the male customs official with me and he was told to be sure I put it back on board.

Welcome to the Bahamas!

I wondered why they did not make all the tourists who bring digital cameras and video recorders to Nassau leave a deposit. Guess they have not figured that one out yet.

It all worked out for the best because out Black Beard Beach Tour turned into the Black Beard Beach and Torrential Tropical Rain Storm Tour, but that is another story.

Happy Hunting.

8)

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Ray S ECenFL,

"stuff" like that happens. >:(

Would not take a credit card?

Bummer.

have a good un.....
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
Ray S ECenFL,

"stuff" like that happens. >:(

Would not take a credit card?

Bummer.

have a good un.....
SHERMANVILLE

Like I said Sherman, it all worked out for the best. The torrential rain storm made me think a higher power was at work.... saved me from having a waterlogged detector and having to try to get my $300 deposit back from the friendly folks at Nassau Customs. ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
maybe they had no intention of returning your "deposit" ::)

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
hollowpointred said:

Sad, but I had similar thoughts. Considering the Beach Tour ended about one hour before the ship was scheduled to depart the dock. Did not give me much time if any thing went wrong, such as the person who took the deposit was not available or the Customs office closed an hour before I arrived etc... Figured it was best to just put my XLT back in the state room and enjoy the beach, which we did for about half an hour before the sky opened up. Rain really came down..... but my XLT was safe and sound. All worked out for the best... ;D

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Why are you blaming the officials?

If I saw a tourist carrying around a black brief case looking bag I'd assume you were a diamond merchant or something.

They were right to be suspicious.

If you had your detector in a simple backpack or another touristy looking bag they wouldn't think anything of it.

Don't be mad at the officials because they were doing their jobs.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I always strap my detector to the outside of my camelbak. Depending on which coil i have with me, it either goes inside... or gets strapped outside along with the rest

Too bad about the customs crap. I was down in the bahamas several years ago and didn't have a problem. But, I was also staying at the Atlantis... that might have made a difference.
steve

kdfritton

Jun 12, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites MXT
Hey: i lived on Andros Island Bahammas for a year and was stupid not to have had a detector with me during that time. I heard of many tales of treasure burried there during my stay.

Alumadude in St. Cloud Fl

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
hollowpointred said:

I fully believe that. They were very very dirtym (crooked, not filthy) when I took a cruise down there. Just thank your lucky stars you got to keep your detector and didn't fall for their "deposit" trick.

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Tricia said:
Why are you blaming the officials?

If I saw a tourist carrying around a black brief case looking bag I'd assume you were a diamond merchant or something.

They were right to be suspicious.

If you had your detector in a simple backpack or another touristy looking bag they wouldn't think anything of it.

Don't be mad at the officials because they were doing their jobs.

Not blaming anyone. Just relating the story.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
spez401 said:
I always strap my detector to the outside of my camelbak. Depending on which coil i have with me, it either goes inside... or gets strapped outside along with the rest

Too bad about the customs crap. I was down in the bahamas several years ago and didn't have a problem. But, I was also staying at the Atlantis... that might have made a difference.
steve

Yup, been there. Surprised they didn't offer to provide a team to dig the holes for you - for a small fee. They like charging "small fees" for just about everything that isn't already in your room.

And gosh darn it, that place is already expensive enough.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread