how metal detecting has changed over the years

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes a subject many of you can voice your opinion for sure. Equipment has improved, permission has declined due to the changed of laws (what's new). I'm not sure if the hobby has gained more people, hard to prove the numbers, maybe bases on sales I guess. What else well I will leave that up to all of you I'm sure we would love to here what people have to say, thankyou

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sure the shows on tv have caused sales to go up, but I believe the number of truly active hunters probably hasn't increased that much. Even though technology has improved, the quantity of " good " coin finds gets smaller each year. I suppose with modern technology, research is probably a bit better than in the days when a library was one's best hope.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes the internet sure helps in todays world researching

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the technology has improved a lot. I don't see permissions or allowed locations to have declined (at least since the 1980s). Research ability have exploded thanks to the internet. Used to be that your only option was to spend hours in a library, most likely in a special collections room pouring over old newspapers, maps, journals etc. Now, almost all that information is available online, plus more from other libraries that couldn't have been found before. The downside is that now all that info is available to everyone so it can really increase competition.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes this is a hobby for people who have to have patience for sure, also its like fishing some days you catch something some days you don't. A lot of people buy equipment and don't want to learn how to use , spend a lot of money and there you go its in the closet collecting dust. Yes internet makes research easier but even then when you go to that spot it may not offer the results your looking for. Well friends keep giving your opinion and experience its appreciated, good day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread