I.A. Coles Seal

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I can't remember, but don't believe I've ever posted anything about this object. It is a small "seal" of some sort that has the inscription "I.A. Coles" in reverse. It has what appears to be traces of black ink between the letters. This all sounds pretty insignificant except that I happend to remember reading somewhere that a certain Isaac A. Coles served as Secretary to both Presidents Madison and Jefferson.
Upon further research, I found that Isaac Coles had a law office right here in Scottsville, Virginia--the place where I found the seal"!
That's where the story ends, at least for now, however. I don't know how you could gain access to any of Cole's documents, or even if there ARE any surviving, and if so, the very remote chance that they would have a "signature" which matched this seal. Anway, it's a neat story, and maybe someday with the help of some of the fantastic Treasurenet researchers and experts out there who tirelessly answer all my questions without hesitation, we will be able to write the final chapter-- whether the object is the real deal or just another relic. Thanks so much and please let me hear from you if you have any suggestions or comments! Jack.

Attachments

• P1010129.JPG
    P1010129.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 71
  • P1010130.JPG
    P1010130.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions