Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
The bank I was taking my change to had a dump machine. Well at some point they removed it from customer use. Now you have to bring them your change and give your account number. Then at some point during the day, they load the machine and put the money in your account. I guess they also keep any rejects. The first time I took change in after they implemented this new system, they called me back to come get my change saying that they would not put it into their machine. Since then, I bought a tumbler and haven't had any problems....yet.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Harbor Freight and the Rock Shed have Lortone tumblers at a reasonable price. I have a 3 lb. and a double 3 lb. Great tumblers!!:headbang:

They normally run about $42, I got mine for $32 when it went on sale 2 years ago, for $52 you can get a double drum tumbler.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My suggestion, dump the banks, find a credit union with a free coin counter that allows you to deposit your coin yourself.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using a Lortone for over 30 yrs. They are great solid tumblers.

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got my double 3lb from Harbor freight a few weeks ago. Works great. Especially with the lime juice/salt mix. DON'T mix your coins up though. do them separate.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My suggestion, dump the banks, find a credit union with a free coin counter that allows you to deposit your coin yourself.
Like I've said before, I use a free coin counter at my C.U. If you jam up the coin counter with dirty coins, you may be asked not to bring in any more coins.:dontknow:

QuarterMaster87

Aug 29, 2015
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, XP Deus v. 4.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a 3lb. Lortone tumbler, lemon juice and a little water and dish soap. I also use some stainless steel tumbling medium, little pieces of wire and shot to clean the coins. The come out looking like new after 3 or 4 hours in the tumbler, no problems at the coin machine.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use all my dirty coins at the local stores and especially wally world. Then I don't have to worry about it

LRP1980

Jun 11, 2016
New Brighton, PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I got nickels rejected from my bank when I deposited them and a dime because she couldn't see it....even though they were fine. Good thing she didn't unwrap the pennies....I stuck a ton of worse ones in there! [emoji23][emoji23] so I went to Wally World and shoved them into the self check out machine and it took the tarnished coins just fine. It used to be when I worked at the bank, they had to take the coins and then they sent them back to the mint where the mint took out the bad ones. I guess banks are squeezing every penny out they can, literally, and not wanting to suck that cost.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took a jar full of dark dimes to the bank and they told me that the coin counter won't recognize them so dimes and nickels go in the parking meters and quarters go in the laundry machines when Kathy washes blankets. I jammed the parking meter once with a bent quarter.
The last 2 quarters were bent in the middle and i hammered them and gave them to the guy at subway. He looks them over and made a comment and i told him i metal detect and he took them.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your clad coins are dark put them in a plastic jar pour in vinegar to cover them, add a little salt screw on the lid and shake it for a couple of minutes. Rinse in freash water. It will clean them enough for the coin machines, and most places.

I got tired my explaining myself and my less than pristeen coins, i just lie now, i tell them the coins were in a can out in the garage and got leaked on.
....we don't even have a garage. :sly::D

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions