deepest machine ??

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
That is easy-Minelab SE

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Before you spend that kind of cash, if you know someone that has a DFX or Explorer that really knows their machine, I would have them give it a shot. You may be surprised at what they DON'T find. In which case you saved some cash. I do some hunting with a DFX owner and and Explorer owner. They both do great but I am not impressed enough to shell out cash for a machine that I would not have the patience to learn properly making either one a waste of my money. There, see if that riles somebody up.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Green1 said:
any reasons or examples are appreciated.... ;D

i believe it has to do with two things. first the explorer uses a DD coil which deals with mineralization better than a concentric coil. it also penetrates the ground in a pattern similar to a knife edge as opposed to an upside down cone like a concentric coil. it just seems like the DD coil gets better coverage and improves your chances of finding a deeper target. also the explorer uses full band spectrum technology which transmits multiple frequencies into the ground simultaneously instead of one or two frequencies like some others. in theory, with more frequencies to analyze, the explorer can better detect targets through difficult ground conditions and can more accurately ID potential targets. i don't know if I buy the multiple frequency mumbo jumbo or not, but i can honestly say that since getting an explorer SE, my deep finds have increased dramatically. you also have to hunt slowly with an explorer since it takes a little longer for the machine to make sense of all the different frequencies it is receiving. its kind of like it needs a little time to choose which signal it wants to read. but, by slowing down, it kind of forces you to hunt more thoroughly. the explorer is not for everyone though, and it does have its down side. its heavy and kind of unbalanced. its also kind of complicated to learn. the tones do not sound like any other machine i have seen, and they take some getting used to. but if you are willing to deal with a rather steep learning curve, and don't mind some programming its well worth it in my opinion.if you have trouble programming your VCR you should probably look at something else.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Every machine has a learning curve. Some are steeper than others but there is no free lunch. If you want to get the deep coins you have to pay and learn. In over 40 years detecting I have used many machines-some good and some not so good. Right now I am trying the new Fisher F-75. Will it replace my Explorer-I doubt it but I wont know unless i try.
The Explorer has many coils to use and to handle the unbalanced part I use a modified swingy-thingy for the big coils and can hunt all day. The Explorer probably wont get all the coins but when I cover an area I know that I got most of them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread