Can anyone help me magnetometers? Should I get one and what kind?

applecrack

Jan 22, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites XLT
Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have been searching a rather large wooded area for several buried chests. I'm guessing iron chests filled with gold and silver from the mid to late fifteen hundreds. I need to narrow down the search area and was thinking about getting a magnetometer. Do they work? What kind should I get if I do get one?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Those things are sensitive enough to find individual nails, I've heard. Hence you might go bananas with something like that. Why not just get a 2-box detector ? Those don't find objects smaller than a soda can, and you also won't risk that if your "treasure chests" contain no iron (if the box/chest was, in fact, made of conductive metals) that you wouldn't risk missing them. So just get a TM808 or something like that.

OP
OP
A

applecrack

Jan 22, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites XLT
Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's funny. I have that exact detector but the area is rather large. I have been searching for three years and I have eliminated about a third of the area. Plus it's very wooded. This is virgin territory with no civilization and no man made objects. This is an island and I was very difficult to get to until only 70 years ago. So I was hoping to speed up my search.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456270324.077828.jpg here is my home made magnetometer . Powerful magnet taped onto a straw with a pin balancer and a second straw inserted to adjust balance with and a toothbrush cover stand with lead weight in it for ballast !

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T.... This is virgin territory with no civilization and no man made objects. .....

For some reason it's hard to imagine an island with "no man made objects" (ie.: no iron to find, except the chests you seek). Because it seems that no matter HOW remote you go (way out in the middle of nowhere in the desert , etc..), and turn on a detector, you can find nails.

So the only place I can envision "zero iron", is literally where man has never gone (Antarctica, etc...).

Mind shedding some light on the reason you think no one ever set foot there, and what makes you believe there's "several buried chests" ? Maybe it's just one of those dime-a-dozen treasure lore stories ?

OP
OP
A

applecrack

Jan 22, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites XLT
Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I believe most of the island was settled but this part was all swamp. It wasn't till about 70 years ago that they build a bridge and made a canal that drained the swamp and dried up the land. This land is only assessed by boat. There was one settlement and that was the man who buried the treasure. He fled the French revolution to canada. From there he was hunted and fled to the United States with his wealth. He picked that spot because it was so remote and difficult to traverse. He left back to Canada and never returned. It is presumed he was captured and hanged. His wealth was great and took several small boat trips to the island. He had build a small cabin and it was never lived in again. It rotted away. Old timers claim they had seen it when they were kids. When I search this area I am ony hands and knees. It's so remote and think you just can't walk. This is not a huge area. 100 acres. And it's surrounded by a canal and small swamp or whats left of it. And I have to access it by boat.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck! Sounds like fun, (except the crawling part). Great story too. Keep us posted.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Apple-jack, I hope your story is true, and that you find it. But be aware, that stories like that are very numerous. They can seem so iron clad and bullet-proof true proof of a "certain treasure".

For example, all you have to do it get yourself any back editions of treasure magazines of the 1960s & 70s, and each edition was PACKED FULL of such lost mine, stolen stage coach loot, miser caches, etc... All you had to do was throw in some pix of faded newspaper clippings, and a drawing of a miner posed next to his burro, then .... by golly, it must be true :)

A buddy of mine even submitted one of those stories to one of the magazines. To get the $100 the mag's paid out for accepted articles. It was totally made up. But fun to write. He and I got a good laugh wondering "I wonder how many people are going to be out searching for this?"

OP
OP
A

applecrack

Jan 22, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites XLT
Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It never once occurred to me that someone might do it for the magazine money. I appreciate your advice. I hope anyone that would go looking for caches would put in the right amount of research. Thanks for the advice and enlightenment.

First

Mar 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey applecrack,
What area are you in? I'm over in Orange County

S

stefen

If y'all would find a copy of a USGS map showing the island, submit a copy to the Dowsing Forum on TN and ask to have it dowsed, you'd get all sorts of responses ...

Mostly, you get marked copies with a lot of colored symbols in return...

Some of these will actually identify the type of find such as silver, gold and the like...

Then after you'd searched the field, submit yur findings to TN...:occasion14:

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... submit a copy to the Dowsing Forum on TN and ask to have it dowsed, you'd get all sorts of responses....

...I cant believe that no one has brought up Long Range Locators for covering large areas quickly.......

You guys are too funny. Sure, and let's consult our lucky astrology mood ring , and ask the Ouji board too while we're at it. :laughing7:

S

stefen

You guys are too funny. Sure, and let's consult our lucky astrology mood ring , and ask the Ouji board too while we're at it. :laughing7:

You mock me...that's against the rules...yur going to upset the peach branch crowd...ballsy...:laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
You mock me...that's against the rules...yur going to upset the peach branch crowd...ballsy...:laughing7:

Oh the horror. Will you ever forgive me ? haha . Besides, it's pretty hard to argue with pix of guys posing next to the jars of coins they found that way, eh ?

S

stefen

Oh the horror. Will you ever forgive me ? haha . Besides, it's pretty hard to argue with pix of guys posing next to the jars of coins they found that way, eh ?

A picture is worth a thousand words...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Dang!! Forgot about the Ouiji and Mood Rings. Theyre gonna throw me outta the Knights of the Golden Mystics for sure now.

But think about what we do on a typical hunt:

-Encase ourselves in audio exclusion devices

-Call upon the Gods of Electricity that we have captured in those things called 'batteries'

-Wave our magic wands over the ground

-Inject invisible waves of mystic energy into the ground

-if we are Lucky and pure of soul, the ether will reward us by speaking the Holy Language (well, for Minelab owners anyway) and placing a reward in the ground.

-we then get down on our knees to give thanks and retrieve the godly reward (some are compelled by the Spirits to do a dance at this point, but usually that's only when tv cameras are rolling)

-thus it was written and thus it was done

semantics is everything.

Last edited:

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LoL Tom, you make fun of it but there are guys that I work with that only dowse to find water lines, some of our older water lines here arent mapped properly so I have seen time and time again where they dowse and mark the road and boom, water line when the excavator starts diggin! My uncle also dowse for water on his farm.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....dowse to find water lines,...

Ah, and here we go. The usual come back. Which only always begs the question: What does that have to do with finding gold and silver ? Last I checked, this was "treasure-net", not "water-net"

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, I guess I don't know how dowsing works but I figure if you can dowse for water you could dowse for other things? But then again I don't know the "science" to it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread