md_ben

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2016
Almost Western Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro, Coinmaster 6/DB
Primary Interest:
Other
I was going through some things that came to me after my father passed away in 1994. I knew he was a amateur coin collector [basically cherry picked coins from pocket change]. I had forgotten all about his coins until I got interested in metal detecting again. While looking at them today, I found some unexpected coins. In the Whitman folder for Lincoln cents [1909-1940] was a 1906 Indian Head Cent. The folder for Mercury dimes also had a 1916 S Barber Head dime. The folder for Buffalo Nickels had a 1903 & a 1911 V nickel. I don't think I ever looked close enough to notice the "extra" coins in these folders. None of these are particularly valuable but are a nice surprise to come across. In addition to the Whitman folders, I found a bit of silver and some unexpected items just loose in a box:
coins_token_medallion_1.jpg

The Oswaldo Cruz coin is a 1937 400 Reis coin from Brasil [top row 2nd from left]. I have no idea where my father came across this. Likewise, the Consumer's Tax token from OK [top row 3rd from left]. The State of Maryland American Revolution Bicentennial Medal [sold by Maryland banks and savings & loans, presumably made by Franklin Mint?] is something I don't remember my father ever showing me.

I have a long way to go to match his "CD" [change detecting] with my metal detecting.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know what will pop up now and then!
Nice coins tho.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread