Question about procedure

ErikEso

Greenie
Mar 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone.

I am not asking for anything other than an opinion/idea, so I'm sure I'm not breaking any rule.

Let's put it like this:

you know where a rather interesting treasure lays.
you can't get to it by your own means
you have evidence to back your claim and you can present it

To who do you present a project like this? Something of a certain magnitude.

Cheers

Erik

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You can contact md'rs in that area, and commission them to pursue it for you. With the understanding of certain rules/negotiations. Like a percentage split , etc...

I've done this before, when I've heard of old-town urban demolition sites. Decided they were too far away for me to drive to and pursue. And of course, ya never know with urban demolition what day they scrape, what day they add fill-dirt, etc... So what I did in those cases, was float a question "Who's near Bakersfield?" etc... Then I choose amongst the respondees with the offer to turn them on to a site in their area, provided they give me feedback on their results (in case I'm intrigued enough with their report to make the drive).

However, in your case, you're talking about a cache. Question: What makes you sure this is a sure-fire thing ? What is the nature of the "evidence" ? Because a lot of treasure cache stories are a dime-a-dozen. Oh sure, they all SOUND iron-clad and bullet proof. But .... they invariably unravel as just stories gone awry. Even if they have roots in some past event (leading you to think they're iron-clad), yet everything after that becomes telephone game.

OP
OP
E

ErikEso

Greenie
Mar 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However, in your case, you're talking about a cache. Question: What makes you sure this is a sure-fire thing ? What is the nature of the "evidence" ? Because a lot of treasure cache stories are a dime-a-dozen. Oh sure, they all SOUND iron-clad and bullet proof. But .... they invariably unravel as just stories gone awry. Even if they have roots in some past event (leading you to think they're iron-clad), yet everything after that becomes telephone game.

Hello.
This location is achieved after deciphering a (code/cryptogram/puzzle)
This has always been a passion of mine and deciphering is what i did after 7 years.
The story behind it is real and well documented, but if the valuables still exist is not for me to assume.
I have been to forums of the speciality (code breaking, etc) but i have not managed a proper answer there.

Cheers

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Well you could go to the History Channel, they have all kinds of "treasure" shows going. Yours may be the first to actually find something.
Or like Tom said, you sublet out the work. Better have a good attorney to write up the contract, and someone to watch the activity if it's for a big thing. Plus in advance know you are not trespassing somewhere you shouldn't be or your partners shouldn't.

OP
OP
E

ErikEso

Greenie
Mar 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!
Very true, i had thought already of something like that, but for starters I'd like to keep it more *personal*.
But in the end, if need be, I'd consider something along those lines.
Thank you for the legal input, always appreciated.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a risk taker with money.
Marvin

OP
OP
E

ErikEso

Greenie
Mar 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a risk taker with money.
Marvin

Also an option, won't say i had not thought of it before.
Sadly easier said than done, you don't find them greeting you in the morning in your fav coffee shop

:)

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Can two people keep a secret? For sure, as long as one of them is dead.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The key to real success in any venture is having a team. First you must decide on the team members. What does each member need to bring to the table in order to achieve the goal? Each of these members must be vetted, and must have "skin in the game." I have put together such teams, and made a few dollars in the process. [email protected]

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without giving anything away, can you tell us the nature of the cache?

How you heard about it, or why you are certain it exists.

With a little more of the story, you will get more specific advice. Good Luck.

OP
OP
E

ErikEso

Greenie
Mar 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without giving anything away, can you tell us the nature of the cache?

How you heard about it, or why you are certain it exists.

With a little more of the story, you will get more specific advice. Good Luck.

The cache/loot is assumed to have been property of an 18th century pirate.
Came across it for the first time around 9 years ago in a chat really, didn't pay much attention until some time later i found there was a *document* associated to it.
The document has been around and taken as legitimate.
Now, if the document is real, so would the loot. But knowing if the loot still exists or not, that only an expedition can help answer.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not investigate the location on your own? If it's there, its not like it's a 5 ton block of solid gold (is it :laughing7: ). If its there, then you can determine what you need to recover it. You could also bring pieces of it out to sell to finance the full recovery.

OP
OP
E

ErikEso

Greenie
Mar 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not investigate the location on your own? If it's there, its not like it's a 5 ton block of solid gold (is it :laughing7: ). If its there, then you can determine what you need to recover it. You could also bring pieces of it out to sell to finance the full recovery.

I would love to.
Problem is it's half a world away, my financial situation is in the gutter and i reckon the recovery of any of it won't be that easy.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would love to.
Problem is it's half a world away, my financial situation is in the gutter and i reckon the recovery of any of it won't be that easy.

So, what, you just give up? :dontknow: You have a priceless tool at your disposal. Much more valuable than the treasure you seek. Use it. Question it. Exercise it! :skullflag:

OP
OP
E

ErikEso

Greenie
Mar 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, what, you just give up? :dontknow: You have a priceless tool at your disposal. Much more valuable than the treasure you seek. Use it. Question it. Exercise it! :skullflag:

No, i surely won't give up.
I've been wrecking my tool trying to find a way and i'll keep on doing so.
No doubt about that.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Networking is the way to go. Bring a team together that each has some input into. And never let the dream die.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
ErikEso, yours is the classic case of treasure legends :) And the classic case of not even having to know the specific story, to see that it's already un-ravelling. Let's dissect s-l-o-w-l-y:

Notice these start with a certainty. The believer states treasure is most certainly there. Not "I think". But more along the lines of "I know". Seen in the following quotes:

.... know where a rather interesting treasure lays.....

.... have evidence to back your claim and you can present it .....

....The story behind it is real and well documented....

And one of the proofs that come up in these type stories is: Codes and crypograms.

....This location is achieved after deciphering a (code/cryptogram/puzzle) ....

Now ask yourself: Why is any pirate or anyone is going to bury a treasure, then put out clues so someone else can find it later ? Why hide it then? Why even have a puzzle to begin with ?? If you went to go hide something , do YOU or anyone you can think of, then have a reason to make a puzzle/riddle about it ? The purpose of hiding it is, .... doh. .... to *hide* it. So that you yourself can go back later and retrieve it, right ? Why then a puzzle/cryptogram ?

And then, alas: The treasure that used to be "most certainly there", you begin to see cracks in the foundation:

....but if the valuables still exist is not for me to assume.....

Huh? "if" ? Sounds less certain now.

The cache/loot is assumed to have been property of an 18th century pirate......

Assumed? It's only now assumed? Not certain ?

....Now, if the document is real, so would the loot. ....

What ? Another "not so certain now" statement ?

...The document has been around and taken as legitimate....

Anytime you see a treasure story that starts with " .... It has been said that ..." or "It is believed that ....", take a step back and ask yourself how this is anything less than pure speculation and conjecture? I smell a value judgement there. A judgement call. Ok, then ask yourself, "says who?".

..... i reckon the recovery of any of it won't be that easy.

Why not easy ? Why not someone just to go out there and dig it up ? Afterall, you have the map now, right? But let me guess: The reason it won't be easy, is it will be tenet # 2 of the treasure legend stories: The treasure is , of necessity, 3 meters (10 ft) deep. Right ?

Last edited:

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ErikEso, yours is the classic case of treasure legends :) And the classic case of not even having to know the specific story, to see that it's already un-ravelling. Let's dissect s-l-o-w-l-y:

Notice these start with a certainty. The believer states treasure is most certainly there. Not "I think". But more along the lines of "I know". Seen in the following quotes:

And one of the proofs that come up in these type stories is: Codes and crypograms.

Now ask yourself: Why is any pirate or anyone is going to bury a treasure, then put out clues so someone else can find it later ? Why hide it then? Why even have a puzzle to begin with ?? If you went to go hide something , do YOU or anyone you can think of, then have a reason to make a puzzle/riddle about it ? The purpose of hiding it is, .... doh. .... to *hide* it. So that you yourself can go back later and retrieve it, right ? Why then a puzzle/cryptogram ?

And then, alas: The treasure that used to be "most certainly there", you begin to see cracks in the foundation:

Anytime you see a treasure story that starts with " .... It has been said that ..." or "It is believed that ....", take a step back and ask yourself how this is anything less than pure speculation and conjecture? I smell a value judgement there. A judgement call. Ok, then ask yourself, "says who?".

Why not easy ? Why not someone just to go out there and dig it up ? Afterall, you have the map now, right? But let me guess: The reason it won't be easy, is it will be tenet # 2 of the treasure legend stories: The treasure is , of necessity, 3 meters (10 ft) deep. Right ?

Ding Ding Ding!!!

OP
OP
E

ErikEso

Greenie
Mar 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:)
First off, let me thank you for taking the time to write this message.

Now, one or 2 of those points can be explained by a linguistic mess up on my behalf as English is not my mother tongue, but obviously for the most part, you are correct.
There are indeed if's and maybe's in the story.
The story of the pirate is real, the story of the cypher not so well documented, but, the document has been studied and never heard anyone come forward and say it's a fake or from a latter date. Maybe because of that, i assume :), it's authenticity.
When i say the loot may or may not be there, i mean that someone at some point in time may have already found it and took it home.
Sure, the creation of a cryptogram/code etc has no real use for the most part. (maybe someone else had the Key to solve the puzzle) maybe then he could make the *puzzle* known, knowingly only the correct person would ever find it? Far fetched :)
The dept is not specified, but the location may be flooded now.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
"Property of an 18th Century Pirate". How many pirates do you think were operating in 1900-1999?
Maybe in the Indian Ocean which is half a world away. So this cache is now in Somalia? But it
somehow exists as a puzzle to solve? Captain Phillips doesn't think so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread