Detecting and Police Visits

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am in the minority here. I think if you have had the police called on you more than once or twice, You need to change the times or places you are hunting, and maybe even your attitude. If you are a L.E.O. who has had the police called on you "20-times," then - In My Opinion, you are either arrogant; dumb; or extremely unlucky. I don't carry a badge, I've been detecting for over 40-years, and I have had two run-in's with police officers resulting in my agreement to stop detecting in one County Park, and the making of a new detecting buddy in the second incident when the officer allowed me to keep on detecting. Being questioned by the police 20-times is just a plain embarrassment in my humble opinion. I would hope most in the hobby are a lot smarter than to put themselves in that position.

thats kinda judmental, walk his shoes you may feel different?? He has legal rights and stood up for them, wish i had balls like that, i admire the guy, if i was in MI i would dive with him for sure

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that you have subjected all of us to that lengthy, but interesting thread, we now want pictures....lots of pictures!!:laughing7:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post,,
Recently I posted about getting stopped by the police two days in a row. Once by the Parks Enforcement Police to check my permit. They were polite, thanked me for taking the time to apply for the permit, and then wished me luck. The next day I was returning home from a day of detecting when I was waved over by the Highway Patrol. With the weather getting nice, there are a lot of illegal motorcycles on the road. Again, after checking my license, reggie, insurance, and inspection stickers, they wished me well. My post included a few comments about one park in particular, where I came across hypodermic needles as well as a spot that had between 30 to 40 orange hypodermic needle caps. I guess I alluded to the fact that with all this druggie activity going on, you would think the police would have better things to do than check my permit or driver's license. Well, I guess I don't have the right to express an opinion. My post was pounced on by a TNET member who I suspect is a police officer. I was grouped into "The Anti-Cop Movement" and literally lashed because I feel that Police assignments should be given out as priority driven tasks. Well we all know that on any given day, your assignment may be driven by political or community complaints or needs.
I have been detecting since 1970. I have seen the laws change in many different areas across the United States, especially here in NY State. I am a member of the Task Force for the Metal Detecting Rights Foundation. I have lobbied for them in NYC and in other cities in the U.S.
Everyone deserves to be treated with respect, providing respect is given. Numerous times over the years I have been approached by the police, park's employees, private citizens, and even other treasure hunters. I have never been in a situation where the issue of treasure hunting couldn't be resolved.
The police are just doing their job or are responding to a complaint.
In one situation, up in the Village of Greenwood Lake, I was questioned by a Deputy Sherriff. He was responding to a complaint about someone digging up the baseball field. I explained that I was responding to a Lost Item Report from the Lost My Stuff Group. A village resident lost her engagement ring the weekend before during opening ceremonies for the Village Little League. I showed him the report and told him about the 2 gold wedding bands that I had recovered and returned to Village residents who had lost them in the water the year before at the Village Beach. I also mentioned the fact that the first lady I recovered the ring for, was married to a local sheriff. I also mentioned that after the first 2 successful recoveries, I was given permission by the Village Mayor to search all parks in the Municipality. Well, he went on to tell me how his kids felt he was getting fat so they bought him a metal detector for Christmas. We both laughed and he wished me luck.
I have too many stories about being stopped and questioned.
I have never received a citation. I have written a few letters to the NYC Parks Commissioner and have gotten positive results.
I didn't mean to ramble on but my experience has been that if you are not breaking the law and you are respectful when interacting with a law officer, you will be treated in a decent manner.
It is true, that there are a few jerks out there who have a little authority, but that is true in every walk of life. Don't forget, not all people who swing metal detectors are complete angels either.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post Robert. I like to dive in Cass Lake past the drop off near Dodge Park #4. I've had the sheriff dept. patrol boat meet me in the parking lot to thank me for my use of my dive flag because they got to write tickets to boaters & jet skiers that came to close to my flag. BTW, there used to be a dive raft at the dropoff beyond the beach swim area that had 55 gal drums for anchors. Find them and silver coins and rings are waiting. Lots of rusted beer cans too. Just kneel on the 30 ft. dropoff and collect rings galore.:thumbsup:

Dennis

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Nice post Robert. I like to dive in Cass Lake past the drop off near Dodge Park #4. I've had the sheriff dept. patrol boat meet me in the parking lot to thank me for my use of my dive flag because they got to write tickets to boaters & jet skiers that came to close to my flag. BTW, there used to be a dive raft at the dropoff beyond the beach swim area that had 55 gal drums for anchors. Find them and silver coins and rings are waiting. Lots of rusted beer cans too. Just kneel on the 30 ft. dropoff and collect rings galore.:thumbsup:

Dennis

Dennis, I pulled 18 silvers and 7 buffalo out from around those 55 gallon drums one dive. I also left a navy anchor on them. Haven't been back. This year I will. I have a secret weapon! I know of two sets out there now. Here is a picture of that one dive:

I talk about them in this post:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/493938-my-strangest-mystery-find.html

Yes the sheriff boat sat out there a lot and gave others tickets when I was diving. They decided to give me one that night. Officers were nice though. They just didn't know the law. When the Keygo Harbor police had a boat out there on the sand bar they were pretty good also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I am in the minority here. I think if you have had the police called on you more than once or twice, You need to change the times or places you are hunting, and maybe even your attitude. If you are a L.E.O. who has had the police called on you "20-times," then - In My Opinion, you are either arrogant; dumb; or extremely unlucky. I don't carry a badge, I've been detecting for over 40-years, and I have had two run-in's with police officers resulting in my agreement to stop detecting in one County Park, and the making of a new detecting buddy in the second incident when the officer allowed me to keep on detecting. Being questioned by the police 20-times is just a plain embarrassment in my humble opinion. I would hope most in the hobby are a lot smarter than to put themselves in that position.

Terry, you are more than welcome to your opinion. We all have one. Stubborn? I will totally agree with you. NOBODY, especially home owners will push me around when I am just enjoying myself in the water not harming or bothering anyone. These rich snobs don't like strangers in "their" water. Too bad for them. I used to drive a 1996 beat up Ford Exploder and park it in front of their park, and their multi million dollar homes. That got replaced only last September. Change the times I detect? NO, I will go when I want and where I want. Since you have never been L.E.O. or had the experiences I have, I guess you can sit behind your computer and feel you have the right to judge me and tell me what I am doing wrong. Good luck with that!!

One last note. This has been in multi jurisdictions and multi counties. I dive all over Michigan. From where I live down to Jackson and beyond, over to Holland and up to Cadillac. I also dive 3 - 5 days a week. I am out there more than the average detectorist and diver.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Last edited:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The OP has nothing to be embarrassed about. Are you embarrassed when you metal detect? If he was illegally detecting then yes he should be embarrassed, but if you read his stories, he was doing nothing wrong.

I have only had one run in with the cops. I had just gotten my new AT Pro so I took it to my community tot lot. A out 15 minutes in a cop shows up and approaches me. He said someone called the cops because they saw me digging. He saw my detector and said have a good day, you are doing nothing wrong. All it takes is some weird Neighbor to call the cops.

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great stories and I'm glad you know the laws. Let me assure you that being a cop gets you a lot further than a normal civilian. I think professional courtesy plays a huge part in your stories. Civilians get the "catch all" disorderly conduct if we tick a cop off.

Steve

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
This is a little different, but i CALLED the cops on some kids last summer vandalizing, they were obviously minors, so i didnt want to get into it with them, cop came, knew them already. super nice guy. showed him my finds. Ive seen drug deals go down too, but never did anything about it.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Great stories and I'm glad you know the laws. Let me assure you that being a cop gets you a lot further than a normal civilian. I think professional courtesy plays a huge part in your stories. Civilians get the "catch all" disorderly conduct if we tick a cop off.

Steve

I somewhat agree with you. I had a boss when I was a state cop. When he called for backup I KNEW someone was going to jail. One time the jailers asked him in front of me what the guys offense was, contempt of Sean? He argued with people as much as I argued with the sheriff officer that threatened to tow my truck. Was I a bit nervous? Sure. However, I knew I would have got it back and the officer would have been in trouble. Even when you are in the right you wonder if you pushed the envelope too far. So far all has been good and I have never been on the wrong side of a jail cell. I have always wondered if they would take a person in a wet suit anyway!

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A bit harsh there Terry! You weren't there (neither was I) and don't know all the circumstances.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A bit harsh there Terry! You weren't there (neither was I) and don't know all the circumstances.

C'mon Ron, twenty times? He then tells us he Parks his beat up car in front of "the rich people's" houses? I am ALL for preserving and protecting my and your rights to hunt public land, but screwing with folks and being a public nuisance doesn't help the hobby - just the arrogant; dumb; or extremely unlucky pirate. :skullflag:

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
C'mon Ron, twenty times? He then tells us he Parks his beat up car in front of "the rich people's" houses? I am ALL for preserving and protecting my and your rights to hunt public land, but screwing with folks and being a public nuisance doesn't help the hobby - just the arrogant; dumb; or extremely unlucky pirate. :skullflag:

WOW, so judgmental!! So tell me Terry, WHY do you care what rich snobs think?? Every one of them would look down on you digging in the dirt. And since I was living off my finds and that was the only vehicle I had, AND I parked it legally on the street I am wrong there also? You are allowed to hide in the dirt. I am allowed to do what I want within the law. Not unlucky, not dumb and not arrogant. I admit to stubborn though. A PUBLIC NUISANCE?

A thousand comedians out of work and you sit behind your computer attempting to be one!

You think I should be ashamed? LOL another funny. I have had more hardships in life than a few on here and I really don't care what you or others think of me. I have this saying that I absolutely LOVE. It goes like this:

ALWAYS be yourself. The people that matter don't mind, and the people that mind don't matter.

Peace

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Easy tiger.
Don't take much to get attention here when accessing lakes.
I've lived on one ,fished a lot of public and some private.
Just because some one does not like seeing some one in "their ' lake does not make that some one wrong..
Some riparian right fights have been pretty interesting here.
Not unlike places out west where folks buy land and then try to claim the rivers themselves and get away with it. Including adding barrier walls on banks ect..
Here we fight!
If formerly defined as navigable (not float-able per se but logs were driven on it navigable) we fight to be allowed to wade them. A hard fight it has been too. There may remain exceptions but the laws over time have resolved legalities of access on some that had been contested in some heavy ways by adjacent land owners.
The great lakes are another story but you may imagine the contests on a great lake shoreline between the public and expensive property holders. More fighting, not hiding or avoiding the issue or access would not exist!
Inland lakes are varied in ownership and access but the funny game of squeeze the public out of public access is another contention.

Terry :do you dive or detect waters/ lakes that are accessible by/to the public? If so you know parking is not always a lot somewhere but can in places not exist to any extent.
To you have studied the laws for your locale and still realize private home owners feel kings of all they survey.
One call per lake/dive X how many lakes?
Would not take long to rack up twenty calls.
Calls go in for people making wakes with their boats.
Calls go in for lights shining in windows from the lake at night...calls go in for noise ,speed, suspicion ,fireworks, minors, ect. ad nauseum.

We have lakes with a minimum public access that lakeshore owners try to discourage the use of.
One about a mile from me.
I even plowed some snow there a couple times for ice fishermen to use the small lot this winter, though I did not fish it.:skullflag:
If anyone called it in I must have been gone before anyone responded.
When detecting launches a police car has showed up at a couple. Doubt they were there for just lil o me, but I don't ask.
Just go about my business.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Easy tiger.
Don't take much to get attention here when accessing lakes.
I've lived on one ,fished a lot of public and some private.
Just because some one does not like seeing some one in "their ' lake does not make that some one wrong..
Some riparian right fights have been pretty interesting here.
Not unlike places out west where folks buy land and then try to claim the rivers themselves and get away with it. Including adding barrier walls on banks ect..
Here we fight!
If formerly defined as navigable (not float-able per se but logs were driven on it navigable) we fight to be allowed to wade them. A hard fight it has been too. There may remain exceptions but the laws over time have resolved legalities of access on some that had been contested in some heavy ways by adjacent land owners.
The great lakes are another story but you may imagine the contests on a great lake shoreline between the public and expensive property holders. More fighting, not hiding or avoiding the issue or access would not exist!
Inland lakes are varied in ownership and access but the funny game of squeeze the public out of public access is another contention.

Terry :do you dive or detect waters/ lakes that are accessible by/to the public? If so you know parking is not always a lot somewhere but can in places not exist to any extent.
To you have studied the laws for your locale and still realize private home owners feel kings of all they survey.
One call per lake/dive X how many lakes?
Would not take long to rack up twenty calls.
Calls go in for people making wakes with their boats.
Calls go in for lights shining in windows from the lake at night...calls go in for noise ,speed, suspicion ,fireworks, minors, ect. ad nauseum.

We have lakes with a minimum public access that lakeshore owners try to discourage the use of.
One about a mile from me.
I even plowed some snow there a couple times for ice fishermen to use the small lot this winter, though I did not fish it.:skullflag:
If anyone called it in I must have been gone before anyone responded.
When detecting launches a police car has showed up at a couple. Doubt they were there for just lil o me, but I don't ask.
Just go about my business.

So, I'm guessing you have NOT had the police called on you 20-times? :occasion14:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So, I'm guessing you have NOT had the police called on you 20-times? :occasion14:

No. I have not.
I guess I don't get out enough.
I have met some L.E.O.'s though...those called on me at home were not usually bringing fun news.
Detecting they let me be when in local public parks here , but part of that might be being noticeable and established.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Why....??? I've put myself on purpose in compromising positions to set the stage for what I've done or about to do again. I've done this on purpose to bring attention to myself and an endeavor. But I TOTALLY already knew the outcome because of the law. But to buck the "system" always brings attention (right or wrong) but if your right... after awhile (in same area) it brings credence to your efforts. Even if it bucks the norm of human action or reactions you need to stand up for yourself. I got many examples....

S.D.... My hats off to ya buddy.... Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread