ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I received a PM concerning a comment I made about having the police called on me over 20 times while detecting. I thought instead of answering in a PM, I would explain some of the situations here.

The first time it happened I was hunting curb strips in Utah at night. A guy came out of his house and told me to get off his property. I told told him I was on city property. He moved his coat aside to show me a badge on his belt. I said Are you a cop? He said yes. I said you better learn the laws then. I went to reach for my badge and he said keep your hands where I could see them. I said, you have no idea what you are taking about and I wasn't moving. I went back to detecting. He yelled somebody is going to jail and went into his house. About 15 minutes or so later two SLC police cars pulled up, one in front of me and one behind. I put my machine down and put my hands out and told the one in front that I was armed and I was a state cop. He was very polite and asked for my ID. I took it out and we talked and I told him what transpired. The guy who was renting the home was absolutely right. Somebody went to jail. They arrested him for impersonating an officer.

The rest of the times were here in Michigan. 9 times in one lake alone. I found legal access to a lake that nobody else had apparently. This lake is surrounded by million dollar homes and is very clear. It also had a very old association park on it that was full of silver and gold. The first 6 times the police were called, the residence were told I was within my rights. One of the residence thought I might be a child molester and was diving under their kids to watch them. I assured them I had absolutely no interest in what was going on over top of me. I was on a drop-off in 20 - 35' of water. Well the 7th time the officer decided I was trespassing and I had to leave. I told him he needed to call his Sgt. He came and also said I was illegal. I told them I was not going to leave unless I got a citation. The Sgt. said they really didn't want to give me one. I said I was going back into the water then. I got one. Called the prosecutor the next day. Within a week it was dismissed. Two times after that the police were called again. The last time three officers showed up. Two were Sgt's. The residents were told that I was absolutely legal and within my rights. If they ever called the police again they would be cited for harassing me. This lake is over an hour away from where I live. I talk to a lot of the residence now and get along. They really do not like any strangers in their neighborhood. I was told by an officer that lives on the lake, there used to be a sign on the road in the 50's. No blacks or Jews allowed

That was the first citation I received. The second was in a lake in Pontiac MI. I was diving at dusk. Anybody that dives knows the light is magnified underwater and you can see past sundown. I came up, only to see a sheriff boat moored about 100' from my boat. I got in my boat and they came over. Asked me a bunch of questions. THEN decided to give me a citation for not having an anchor light on my boat at night. They said they thought somebody would have to come down and get me because I was underwater a long time. That citation was also dismissed. An anchor light is ONLY required on a boat that is in waters navigable to the great lakes. NO inland lake unless connected by rivers is.

The third citation was in a very small bowl shaped lake surrounded by woods. It had a public swim area less that 55' across on it and no other access. No boats with motors are allowed. I dove without my dive flag. I came up to an officer on the shore. He was rude. He said where is your flag. I told him no motor boats were allowed and no boats could stay 200' away from me if I had it so I left it in my truck. He decided I needed a citation. That one I actually went to court on. He didn't show up. But I told the prosecutor everything and it got dismissed.

I was going in another lake near Detroit when a Hummer drove by. He pulled into his driveway and walked toward me and told me to leave. I said no, this is a public lake. He was really rude and again I don't remember everything that was said. I got ticked and told him to go play with himself. THREE officers showed up and went to talk to him. The Sgt came to talk to me. He asked me if I really said that (the guy told them what I said) I said yes. The Sgt couldn't stop laughing. The Sgt called him a pompous jerk. We had a good laugh and they left.

Last year I was in a lake with my friend in a boat and we anchored outside a marina. I went to dive in the roped off swim area for stuff. A lady on a float pulled on my dive flag rope. I came up and she said, I wasn't allowed to be in the swim area and we couldn't anchor our boat there. I said she was wrong on both counts. A guy on the dock yelled, you ever hear of riparian rights? I yelled yes, and you don't have them. I told the lady I wasn't leaving and she was wrong. I was polite about it but I do stand my ground. I went back to detecting. I don't know how long later I hear the BAM BAM BAM underwater. I come up to an officer on the dock. He said I was trespassing. I said no I was not. He said now that you are standing up you are. I said no. I told him that the lake was a public lake. It had a public boat launch and park. Anybody that owns property on the lake only owns the land to the high water mark. He said he thought I was right, he was reading the laws while watching me. I told him I knew I was right and told him my experience. He asked my name. I gave him my DL# and said now you have everything. We talked a little more and he left.
I enjoyed the rest of my dive.

My very worst experience went like this. I found an empty lot for sale on a lake. I called the realtor and told him I wanted to get into the lake to dive. He said go ahead. I will contact the land owner and make sure but if he has a problem I will call you back. LOL Great for me!! I was coming out of the lake to a sheriff officer with a flashlight in my face. i told him I was armed with two knives. He said you are trespassing. I said no, I had permission. He asked from who. I told him the realitor. The officer said that wasn't good enough, the owner called. I said the owner didn't call, he is in Florida. I said the realitor has permission to let anyone on the property. The officer argued with that and I really don't remember all he said. I told him I was a state cop in Utah. He said so you know all the laws then. I said no, but I know the trespassing law. He was really ticked for some reason and I don't know why. He told me he was going to give me a citation for a bent plate as soon as I left. I straightened the corner out. He then said he was going to have my vehicle towed. I said go ahead. I am on a public street. I will sit here till after the tow truck driver leaves. He got in his car and slammed the door. I took my gear off. After I got it off, he rolled down his window and said, Mr. Grattan, come over here. he apologized to me and said that most people wouldn't have even gone as far as to call anybody. Told me to have fun and enjoy my evening.

My very last experience was about a month ago. Hunting a park near Detroit. We are swinging away when an officer pulls up. I shut off my detector and approach him. He said, SOMEBODY called the police stating we had SHOTGUNS. We all had a laugh, talked, and he left.

I have other stories but you get the idea. Don't break the laws, KNOW the laws so you don't get pushed around. I know officers have to appease someone. Who will it be? Well with people that don't know their rights the person that called. With me, I won't back down. I have a copy of the riparian rights in my truck to give any officer.
There are a lot of private lakes in Michigan with very rich people on them. Some are absolutely wonderful. Some think they own everything.

Sorry for the long post. I really could write a book on my experiences. I have only called the police four times. Two for guns I found, one for a WW1 bomb I found and one for live grenade fuses I found. This was all in Michigan

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
interesting post..thanks for sharing.while I have been questioned by forestry rangers and police several times I have only had good expieriences with them.I too carry the written regulations in my vehicle.I did kind of lose my temper one time when an elderly lady started ripping into my wife for trespassing.we were hunting a stretch of lake shore,water level very low and at least 150 feet below high water line.
That lady called the police and the young deputy walked up to me and says,"hi pat"darned if he didnt work for me on the ski school about 10 years earlier.He new the regs and told us to have a great day.gotta love small towns !!

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off, Damn you get talked to a lot.
Secondly, Good On You for knowing the laws and standing your ground. That's a rare combination from what I see.

Great post.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Sheriff's department ran me off public property 3 times in NE Ohio in the 80's, and a Virginia sheriff's deputy ran me off once. I just said okay, packed up and left each time. They had guns, and I didn't want or need any trouble.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
First off, Damn you get talked to a lot.
Secondly, Good On You for knowing the laws and standing your ground. That's a rare combination from what I see.

Great post.

Yes, I get talked to a lot. I dive 3 - 5 days a week in the summer. I find access to lakes that nobody knows of. I also ASK permission whenever I can find somebody. When I find an unhunted honey hole I like to pilfer it as much as possible. I sat on a drop-off on one lake for hours without moving fanning target after target. Collecting rings, and coins and trash. The country club was started in 1902 and all the Detroit auto industries had company picnics there. I found 12 of the same tokens from 1933 in that lake. I am lucky to find major unhunted spots and I love it. I think of some of my spots as virgin underwater parks. They have never been touched. Last year in one spot I found three walkers. Rarely happens on land.

Most the officers I meet are very polite and awesome. People do own the land out in the water in SOME lakes. I was asked to move my boat in one lake where I was perfectly legal. I did to appease the land owner and the officer. However I could have argued and won. It really depends on how the police treat me as to how I will treat them back.

People have called stating my boat is abandoned, EVEN though I am flying a dive flag. People have called stating I am diving in a hazardous area. In Florida, I was harassed by a lifeguard who I had no idea what he was, that called the police. We had a good talk. Although I inadvertently drifted in front of a public beach and there were sharks in the water.

Maybe I push the envelope. However, since I am within my rights, I just don't back down.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sheriff's department ran me off public property 3 times in NE Ohio in the 80's, and a Virginia sheriff's deputy ran me off once. I just said okay, packed up and left each time. They had guns, and I didn't want or need any trouble.

Absolutely nothing wrong with leaving and coming back sometimes. However, since I drive hours away from home, I won't. Where I found over 100 barber coins and my 10.00 gold coin in Utah is a good example. It is a golf course now but was once an amusement park. It is not posted and owned by SLC. Three times the police asked me to leave. I did, BUT I kept going back. People walked their dogs there at night and it wasn't posted at all. I knew they couldn't do anything. However, I knew I could go back whenever I wanted and enjoy the old coins.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what would have happened if you weren't a state trooper? Nothing worse than cops who harass people because a relative or one of their drinking buddies called them to complain.

I was harassed by a RI state trooper a couple of months ago. He was a plainclothes cop who was hoping I'd give him some grief. Never even identified himself, just starting harassing me. Told me I couldn't "dig holes" on the soccer field because they spend $100,000 a year on "turf management". Really? I know a lot of people in my town who don't have enough to eat and no oil for heat and someone is spending 100k on "turf management" so rugrats can play soccer? Disgusting.

You would think a plainclothes cop pulling down 90k a year would have something better to do, but I guess not. Must have gotten a call from a drinking buddy who's rugrat plays soccer on the field. Or maybe his rugrat plays soccer there. Guess there were no drug dealers, rapists or child molesters to catch that day. Much more important to harass someone minding their own business metal detecting ...

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I wonder what would have happened if you weren't a state trooper? Nothing worse than cops who harass people because a relative or one of their drinking buddies called them to complain.

I was harassed by a RI state trooper a couple of months ago. He was a plainclothes cop who was hoping I'd give him some grief. Never even identified himself, just starting harassing me. Told me I couldn't "dig holes" on the soccer field because they spend $100,000 a year on "turf management". Really? I know a lot of people in my town who don't have enough to eat and no oil for heat and someone is spending 100k on "turf management" so rugrats can play soccer? Disgusting.

You would think a plainclothes cop pulling down 90k a year would have something better to do, but I guess not. Must have gotten a call from a drinking buddy who's rugrat plays soccer on the field. Or maybe his rugrat plays soccer there. Guess there were no drug dealers, rapists or child molesters to catch that day. Much more important to harass someone minding their own business metal detecting ...

I think I know what I would have done if I wasn't a trained officer. I am sure I would have tucked my tail in and ran! Really. I am positive I would have been intimidated each and every time. I know the games officers have to play. I respect them also. Sometimes to get the results you want, you have to make people believe you can do something you really can't.

There are wonderful officers out there. There are also bullies with guns. 99% are doing something they like and really want to help the community and others. Then you have the flip side.

Absolutely no shame in doing what an officer says. I don't recommend my tactics to anyone. I do recommend you know and carry the laws with you, if you want to argue!!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So far so good in Mi..I've been watched and I wave , but not confronted with a you're not supposed to... anything...yet.
I don't work water though and from fishing know how defensive some lakeshore homeowners can be.
Know the law for sure. Then decide ,depending on the people and conditions , what action to take or not take.

md_ben

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2016
Almost Western Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro, Coinmaster 6/DB
Primary Interest:
Other
Great thread!

From my way of thinking, I would just do as the officer requests. It just does not make sense to argue, even if you are right, with someone carrying a gun. You have no way of knowing what the officer's state of mind is at the moment and how they will react. I know most officers are well trained but there is always that 1% of humanity that are unpredictable. For me, it is better just to say "yes officer", pack up and leave. If I really want to, I can come back some other time.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my way of thinking, I would just do as the officer requests. It just does not make sense to argue, even if you are right, with someone carrying a gun.

Sorry, not my nature to roll over like a dog for anyone in this world. I was polite, but I spoke my mind and told him it was a public land trust and I had a right to be there. He swore up and down that it wasn't a public land trust and that was the end of it.

As I was leaving, I drove past a huge sign that reads "Scituate Land Trust". So either the cop was lying to be a jerk or he doesn't know what he's talking about.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Great thread!

From my way of thinking, I would just do as the officer requests. It just does not make sense to argue, even if you are right, with someone carrying a gun. You have no way of knowing what the officer's state of mind is at the moment and how they will react. I know most officers are well trained but there is always that 1% of humanity that are unpredictable. For me, it is better just to say "yes officer", pack up and leave. If I really want to, I can come back some other time.

As I stated in my post. You do what you feel is right, absolutely no shame in it. HOWEVER, IMHO no need to be intimidated by a gun. So far no officer has been foolish enough to pull it on me. I guess he could shoot me and then pull one of my dive knifes out and put it in my hand. If he was that crooked. None of my friends or family would believe it though.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was harassed on a public field in broad daylight, so I knew he wouldn't be dumb enough to try anything with a dozen witnesses in the area. What annoyed me was that he never got out of his vehicle to see if I was doing any damage to the area. And that classic "digging holes" moronic comment that uninformed people love to state rubbed me the wrong way as well.

I NEVER dig holes, even in the woods. I may cut a round plug if I'm in the woods, but never on a public field. Always a C cut with some grass still left attached. I also carry a plastic bin with me to place the dirt in and to help find the target (I place the bin on top of my overturned coil on the ground).

Funny thing about this incident is that a town cop was watching me detect the same spot a few days earlier and said nothing. I've also detected a public field across from the state police many times and never been harassed. Except for this one bored cop, I've had good experiences with the police in my area. I've been asked to show my ID a few times at schools, but that's understandable. As they say, it only take one rotten apple to spoil the whole barrel...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Good Post. And you got to have a tough skin to: a) be a cop, and b) metal detect , doh! :)

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always wanted to dive and detect. thanks for sharing. I do have the opportunity to detect with local law enforcement and you wont find a better bunch of guys.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have always wanted to dive and detect. thanks for sharing. I do have the opportunity to detect with local law enforcement and you wont find a better bunch of guys.

On search and rescue they teach you one important lesson. Which is: The best part about finding a body underwater is, nobody can hear you scream.

Nice to see you here Tom_in_CA. LOL I think you know of all my adventures!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in the minority here. I think if you have had the police called on you more than once or twice, You need to change the times or places you are hunting, and maybe even your attitude. If you are a L.E.O. who has had the police called on you "20-times," then - In My Opinion, you are either arrogant; dumb; or extremely unlucky. I don't carry a badge, I've been detecting for over 40-years, and I have had two run-in's with police officers resulting in my agreement to stop detecting in one County Park, and the making of a new detecting buddy in the second incident when the officer allowed me to keep on detecting. Being questioned by the police 20-times is just a plain embarrassment in my humble opinion. I would hope most in the hobby are a lot smarter than to put themselves in that position.

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
well i see why ive never been talked to by cops in 20 years diving, im a big pu$$y, only dive the public beaches when few people there as possible. Sounds like the boat draws attention too, i just launch from shore. And congrats on the Gold Coin. I tried to find a ring for a guy that had a coin in it, that was my best chance, and couldnt find it after 3 hours. Thanks for the post, most interesting thing ive read any where in along time!

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received a PM concerning a comment I made about having the police called on me over 20 times while detecting. I thought instead of answering in a PM, I would explain some of the situations here.

The first time it happened I was hunting curb strips in Utah at night. A guy came out of his house and told me to get off his property. I told told him I was on city property. He moved his coat aside to show me a badge on his belt. I said Are you a cop? He said yes. I said you better learn the laws then. I went to reach for my badge and he said keep your hands where I could see them. I said, you have no idea what you are taking about and I wasn't moving. I went back to detecting. He yelled somebody is going to jail and went into his house. About 15 minutes or so later two SLC police cars pulled up, one in front of me and one behind. I put my machine down and put my hands out and told the one in front that I was armed and I was a state cop. He was very polite and asked for my ID. I took it out and we talked and I told him what transpired. The guy who was renting the home was absolutely right. Somebody went to jail. They arrested him for impersonating an officer.

The rest of the times were here in Michigan. 9 times in one lake alone. I found legal access to a lake that nobody else had apparently. This lake is surrounded by million dollar homes and is very clear. It also had a very old association park on it that was full of silver and gold. The first 6 times the police were called, the residence were told I was within my rights. One of the residence thought I might be a child molester and was diving under their kids to watch them. I assured them I had absolutely no interest in what was going on over top of me. I was on a drop-off in 20 - 35' of water. Well the 7th time the officer decided I was trespassing and I had to leave. I told him he needed to call his Sgt. He came and also said I was illegal. I told them I was not going to leave unless I got a citation. The Sgt. said they really didn't want to give me one. I said I was going back into the water then. I got one. Called the prosecutor the next day. Within a week it was dismissed. Two times after that the police were called again. The last time three officers showed up. Two were Sgt's. The residents were told that I was absolutely legal and within my rights. If they ever called the police again they would be cited for harassing me. This lake is over an hour away from where I live. I talk to a lot of the residence now and get along. They really do not like any strangers in their neighborhood. I was told by an officer that lives on the lake, there used to be a sign on the road in the 50's. No blacks or Jews allowed

That was the first citation I received. The second was in a lake in Pontiac MI. I was diving at dusk. Anybody that dives knows the light is magnified underwater and you can see past sundown. I came up, only to see a sheriff boat moored about 100' from my boat. I got in my boat and they came over. Asked me a bunch of questions. THEN decided to give me a citation for not having an anchor light on my boat at night. They said they thought somebody would have to come down and get me because I was underwater a long time. That citation was also dismissed. An anchor light is ONLY required on a boat that is in waters navigable to the great lakes. NO inland lake unless connected by rivers is.

The third citation was in a very small bowl shaped lake surrounded by woods. It had a public swim area less that 55' across on it and no other access. No boats with motors are allowed. I dove without my dive flag. I came up to an officer on the shore. He was rude. He said where is your flag. I told him no motor boats were allowed and no boats could stay 200' away from me if I had it so I left it in my truck. He decided I needed a citation. That one I actually went to court on. He didn't show up. But I told the prosecutor everything and it got dismissed.

I was going in another lake near Detroit when a Hummer drove by. He pulled into his driveway and walked toward me and told me to leave. I said no, this is a public lake. He was really rude and again I don't remember everything that was said. I got ticked and told him to go play with himself. THREE officers showed up and went to talk to him. The Sgt came to talk to me. He asked me if I really said that (the guy told them what I said) I said yes. The Sgt couldn't stop laughing. The Sgt called him a pompous jerk. We had a good laugh and they left.

Last year I was in a lake with my friend in a boat and we anchored outside a marina. I went to dive in the roped off swim area for stuff. A lady on a float pulled on my dive flag rope. I came up and she said, I wasn't allowed to be in the swim area and we couldn't anchor our boat there. I said she was wrong on both counts. A guy on the dock yelled, you ever hear of riparian rights? I yelled yes, and you don't have them. I told the lady I wasn't leaving and she was wrong. I was polite about it but I do stand my ground. I went back to detecting. I don't know how long later I hear the BAM BAM BAM underwater. I come up to an officer on the dock. He said I was trespassing. I said no I was not. He said now that you are standing up you are. I said no. I told him that the lake was a public lake. It had a public boat launch and park. Anybody that owns property on the lake only owns the land to the high water mark. He said he thought I was right, he was reading the laws while watching me. I told him I knew I was right and told him my experience. He asked my name. I gave him my DL# and said now you have everything. We talked a little more and he left.
I enjoyed the rest of my dive.

My very worst experience went like this. I found an empty lot for sale on a lake. I called the realtor and told him I wanted to get into the lake to dive. He said go ahead. I will contact the land owner and make sure but if he has a problem I will call you back. LOL Great for me!! I was coming out of the lake to a sheriff officer with a flashlight in my face. i told him I was armed with two knives. He said you are trespassing. I said no, I had permission. He asked from who. I told him the realitor. The officer said that wasn't good enough, the owner called. I said the owner didn't call, he is in Florida. I said the realitor has permission to let anyone on the property. The officer argued with that and I really don't remember all he said. I told him I was a state cop in Utah. He said so you know all the laws then. I said no, but I know the trespassing law. He was really ticked for some reason and I don't know why. He told me he was going to give me a citation for a bent plate as soon as I left. I straightened the corner out. He then said he was going to have my vehicle towed. I said go ahead. I am on a public street. I will sit here till after the tow truck driver leaves. He got in his car and slammed the door. I took my gear off. After I got it off, he rolled down his window and said, Mr. Grattan, come over here. he apologized to me and said that most people wouldn't have even gone as far as to call anybody. Told me to have fun and enjoy my evening.

My very last experience was about a month ago. Hunting a park near Detroit. We are swinging away when an officer pulls up. I shut off my detector and approach him. He said, SOMEBODY called the police stating we had SHOTGUNS. We all had a laugh, talked, and he left.

I have other stories but you get the idea. Don't break the laws, KNOW the laws so you don't get pushed around. I know officers have to appease someone. Who will it be? Well with people that don't know their rights the person that called. With me, I won't back down. I have a copy of the riparian rights in my truck to give any officer.
There are a lot of private lakes in Michigan with very rich people on them. Some are absolutely wonderful. Some think they own everything.

Sorry for the long post. I really could write a book on my experiences. I have only called the police four times. Two for guns I found, one for a WW1 bomb I found and one for live grenade fuses I found. This was all in Michigan

:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread