Cleaning technique needed

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what I want restored. This is in dug condition obviously! So I've done soap and water and have used a toothpick a little. If anyone can give me advice I would appreciate it. Before and after results would be a bonus! Thanks. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457286481.134232.jpg

tennessee

Feb 8, 2013
East tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice buckle. Most everyone is going to tell you not to to touch it. I can only tell you what I would do. Also it depends on whether you are interested in selling it or not. I would take olive oil and a toothpick and work all that corrosion loose. It might take awhile but it will look good when your finished.

OP
OP
Goldenplug

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Olive oil? I'm going to try that. I'm not interested in selling it and with so much of the detail covered up I doubt it has a lot of value anyways. It might be a WHILE but I will take an after shot.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
What I do with small brass things I find, is run them in a tumbler with a load of pennies. Check it every once in a while till its as clean as you want it.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
What I do with small brass things I find, is run them in a tumbler with a load of pennies. Check it every once in a while till its as clean as you want it.

I look closely at the picture of the buckle - there's great crisp detail there. The last thing in the world I'd do with that buckle is run it in a tumbler. Patience, olive oil, and a toothpick. That buckle looks like it could be museum quality. Don't ruin it by "blunting" the details.

OP
OP
Goldenplug

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you I will try this first.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's likely corroded like that because of the silver wreath that was most likely attached and has dissentigraded. I'm glad you are taking the less is more approach to cleaning it. I'd love to see it when you get through with it.

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your first mistake was using soap and water.:sadsmiley: I just hope it hasn't done to much damage, to a nice find.

SS

OP
OP
Goldenplug

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Olive oil? I'm going to try that. I'm not interested in selling it and with so much of the detail covered up I doubt it has a lot of value anyways. It might be a WHILE but I will take an after shot.

Don't use the expensive EVOO, that stuff is too pure. Buy the cheap oil, that has a little more acidity to it, which is why its cheap. EVOO is basically like letting it sit in water.

OP
OP
Goldenplug

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Following up on the restoration. I did the olive oil bath. I let it soak during the day and I would use my toothpicks at night. Over about 5 days I was getting some progress. I am by no means finished but I wanted to change the oil and let it dry out for a few days before my next attempt. Here are my preliminary results which I think are decent. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457905681.661596.jpg this is before. And I apologize for turning it the wrong way! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457905764.135591.jpg here is the after. Some progress. Every time I would get the tiniest chunk of mineral off it was a big feeling of success.

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely don't tumble that. Olive oil is the way I would go as previously mentioned. That's a beautiful save. Grats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread