Inherited a map from my father (southwest)...Need help!

MyFathersMap

Jun 15, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
N/a
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. My father left me a map concerning a Jesuit treasure cache from the mid 1700's. I have found almost nothing on the Internet that would verify the conclusion he came to (possibly a good thing?) Before his death in 1993 (while I was still quite young) he sent me a letter detailing his research, and stating the exact location of the possible cache (if indeed it was utilized as a hiding spot during the expulsion of the Jesuits). I left it, along with various other pieces of info he left to me, lingering in a box for over a decade (unfortunately he divided his original resources amongst his several children and only I saved what was sent. However, the final letter was sent only to me and it summarized his research in about 3 pages-- no bibliography). Last summer I went through the entire mess and felt that just maybe he was on to something. Since then, as a hobby, I have obtained many interesting books and magazines related to the subject (I am currently living in the UP of Michigan and Ebay has been a great resource). I will mention here that in his last phone call to me he stated that, although he felt positive about the location (he was unable to travel at that time), there was no point in following up because the site was owned by the gov't and a financial gain was not viable (I have since verified this fact). At this point in my life (I am a graduate student--with access to the finest databases--and part time writer), I am more interested in whether or not the story he gave me is true. Is anyone willing to help? Anyone interested must have info on the following topics: Kino's map of 1701 and 1702, Biblical references regarding the map, and knowledge of Spanish symbols. I am planning a trip to the southwest (I was given coordinates and land markings), but feel lacking in the world of treasure hunting (I am from the southwest and am extremely active-- I love the heat and am a hiker). Although I do believe the location will be found, I am not at all confident that the location will prove to be profitable. This does not sound very promising, but I hope someone has some similar info and would like to travel together. My interest at this point is in writing a novel. However, I might like to stuff my pocket with at least one keepsake and would like a partner that would look the other way if I did. Thanks for reading.
Gina

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Gina,
Welcome to Tnet. You have come to the correct place for help and we have several knowledgable people here from the southwest that would be able to help you hunt your location on the map..
If you need clues solved , this is the place also. Just ask or Pm me if you need to and I can help you with the map references or point you to who can.
Gypsy

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I had information that would be of interest to you. I am a Bible College student (in Missouri), though this wouldn't give you any help as I'm not Catholic. I love THing and hiking, and have an awesome tolerance for heat as I'm from Florida. My only problem is that you may be putting your life on the line to pocket a small amount of riches. I personally wouldn't care either way, but I do know the government can be quite forceful when it comes to their land. Especially if it's out in the desert where they may possibly have other things going on that no one else knows about.
If you do need a hand though, feel free to message me down the road.

Bran <><

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Here you go. Have fun!

I have thousands of pages on Padre Kino. I nave several more maps but you did not tell the area you were talking about.

He traveled all over Arizona and into Baja Ca and other places in Mexico.

If you need help PM or email me.

Attachments

• 1701_kinomap_lge.jpg
    1701_kinomap_lge.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 276

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Wait a minute!

If you are thinking about going on the ................., I highly advise you to get experienced people or you will not come out alive.

I have a lot of knowledge about this subject. Please email me. I will not post anything else about this subject online.

Advise you to be cautious

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
You say you have coordinates. Are we talking latitude and longitude? What does Google Earth show you if you do?

Daryl

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once they find the treasure, they usually never post again. She's probably been living in a mansion for the past 10 years & driving a Lamborghini.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Once they find the treasure, they usually never post again. She's probably been living in a mansion for the past 10 years & driving a Lamborghini.

Haha. In my 40+ yrs. of this, I've seen countless people "come & go". And the NUMBER 1 reason I see, for "detectors ending up in the closet" and "never hearing from the person again", is: They didn't find jack squat, and got bored.

Contrast to the those buddies of mine who were in on ground zero good finds (virgin stage stops, epic beach storms, good finds, etc...), then: They are VERY much still front & center addicted, love to be involved, chime in, hunt more, show & tell, etc....

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yessir Tom, I bet almost anyone would be hooked if they started off digging jewelry and old coins. It took me some work and perseverance, but now at least I know a good site when I find one.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay armed dont go alone and yes you need experianced people for many reasons be safe. Tommy

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well over 10 yrs. old post, and only a single post by the person. I'm sure they are long-since gone.

Well Tom, she visited TNET on February 1st of this year. However, who knows if she checked on this Thread since it had no activity from the day she posted it until February 2nd.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Well Tom, she visited TNET on February 1st of this year. However, who knows if she checked on this Thread since it had no activity from the day she posted it until February 2nd.

Ahh, didn't see "recent activity". Just saw "last post".

Ok, if you're still on a treasure-hunt, let us know how it's going Gina :)

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She's probably out at the country club right now, living it up with the lucky t-net members who sent her money to finance her expedition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread