OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TNet has been a great source of information and inspiration to many in this hobby. A great gathering place to sit around a virtual pub and swap stories, share pictures, and generally enjoy the company of friends. I am thankful for it, and I appreciate the work from the staff that goes into keeping it good and honest.

The stories are why we come here. There are times however, when the stories defy logic.They are intentionally deceptive. Sometimes the attempts are crude. ā€œLook, hereā€™s a handful of shiny un-crusty Large Cents I dug up in Grandmaā€™s flower bedā€. Other times they are more subtle. I think it has more to do with the experience of the deceiver.

Ultimately though, people figure it out no matter how experienced the deception. And so it was in the recent high-profile case here. I guess I donā€™t really understand the motivation behind planted find posts. Is it glory? The admiration of your friends? Do you really want your friends admiring you for something that isnā€™t really true? And do you really think your friends will not eventually figure it out?

Weā€™ve all been digging long enough to know that hard work can produce some awesome finds. Research, coupled with hard work, coupled with a little bit of luck makes for great success. But we all also know that the best research, coupled with the hardest work, and the best luck, isnā€™t going to produce awesome find after awesome find, day after day. Thereā€™s only so many gold coins, and colonial silvers and perfect-condition Spanish youā€™re going to find in the course of a week. And because the motivation is a need for attention, the deceiver will eventually push the limits of believability.

That certainly happened here. Some figured it out early. Some a bit later. Some didnā€™t want to believe it because it involved a friend. For my part, at the point where I figured it out, I simply stopped reading and commenting on the posterā€™s finds. Iā€™m sure others did too. Not sure of the precise mechanism by which the siteā€™s staff figured it out, but Iā€™m glad they did.

And now for the actual reason for all of this word-salad. I have noticed that this latest incident has changed this place a little. And that is the shame of it. It has taken otherwise confident hard-working hobbyists and made them doubt one another, and made them doubt themselves. It has taken people that I know are some of the hardest working and most successful detectorists in the hobby and made them feel the need to justify themselves, and defend their finds as if they are under suspicion. That sucks. And it is the price we all pay for current events.

I hope it doesnā€™t last long. (And to those who feel that these events cast doubt on your own findsā€¦ donā€™t. We can tell.)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Essentially what you've written is an essay, and a well thought out and written one at that.

Everybody wants to be somebody. Most of us are opinionated, but usually brutally honest. Maturity takes years, and many years for some.

I hated to see the incident happening, but once discovered other evidence to the psychology of that individual surfaced during the last incident - it was said there were 11 banners, and the individual argued back "where is my 12th one?" And then the 12th one was re-instated. And then of course the revelation of deceit.... Clearly banners were to him a sign of importance in the community.

This made me take a look at my own self. I very seldom post any finds, but I tend to post a lot - opinions mostly. Did I do that for "number of posts"? Not to my way of thinking, but still it has made me re-consider what I do here. I'm retired and spend one heck of a lot of time on Treasurenet. I'm not dead, not even close. I'm not lonely, not even close. But, once again here I am posting a response here. Bubbly?

Well, all things considered perhaps TNet has become too important to me? I don't Facebook!!! That's one blessing.

Keep the faith!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You got that right i find it hard to believe a lot i see on these treasure sites now a days ..

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
I run a huge PA hunting and outdoor forum and this is the type of thing we deal with on there as well. There is no doubt that someone getting caught lying not only to themselves but to the entire group sours many and it doesn't normally wear off quickly. The best medicine for this is for the legit, honest folks to stick together, don't change what you are doing and continue to contribute positively to the forum. I, for one, enjoy coming here and seeing the finds many of you dig up because in my area I will never have the chance to swing a coil over many of them. I've only been at this hobby for a few years but it is pretty easy to tell what has been dug and what hasn't and the fact that many fell for the lies truly does blow me away but for the reasons listed above, I guess I can understand why the blinders were on, that's human nature. Stay positive, swing those coils and please continue sharing the experiences with all of us lurkers out here who enjoy the finds, the brotherhood and the honesty that I KNOW still exists in this hobby.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I concur with your comments to the point that on my banner vote last night I stated that the current events had me leary, but the find I was voting for was amazing and I need to believe in the honesty of the members.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
There's an easy way to heal this community.

1. Do away with the individual banner counts. If there's no contest, there's less motivation to deceive.

2. Do away with the scrolling banner..replace it with random member finds...no contest, no voting, no popularity contests, less motivation to deceive.

Personally, I've never been in love with the banner and I was fortunate to get one...I have never wanted another one. If I see another George Washington button up there I'm gonna puke....lol.

It is my opinion that this website is strong enough to eliminate the banner system. And rest assured, Treasurenet is strong enough to weather this most recent ripple. Remember when Treasurenet switched to the new format? There was ALOT of head butting.....look at her today!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve,

I do admin on another forum and what goes on in the background stays in the background......it's just the right thing to do not to divulge confidential info relating to any individual members.

Heck it could even involved liability issues if that confidentiality were broken by those in charge.....I believe that's in the rules regarding the forum hosting sites, another example is pm's I don't have access to fellow members pm's the hosting site wouldn't allow it anyway, again a legality issue.

Regards + HH

Bill

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have found my niche (comfort zone)here at TN is attempting to ID objects discovered by others andsharing some history regarding those objects. I stay out of the ego and subjective authentication discussions. Somewhat similar toDeepseeker, reading TN posts and commenting has become a hobby unto itself for me. And from my USAF days working in an operating roomenvironment, I still practice 'triage' on TN by assisting those whostill have 'hope' versus those who I consider are beyond 'hope'.
Peace..........
Don

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes i never share nothing to me it is ego to post what you find and to say you found but did not..... Myself i do not have to tell or show what i find for i know what it is i have found people are always looking for other peoples approval....AND it is from ones that they do not even know it does not make sense to me...

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, since I had to start using my phone to get on here I don't have access to see the banner bar, (maybe because I'm e-challenged) plus I can't spend as much time here as I would like, so I miss a lot.
I love the camaraderie and the knowledgeable people.

Seeing all the great stuff people find motivates me, keeps me going, because it shows me what's out there and it's possible to find it. So I hope you all will keep posting your great finds.
If it helps I will start posting all my finds again....pull tabs, clad, junk, etc. I usually do just to let newbies know these are normal finds for me and it's ok to post what you find even if it's not Montazuma hoard. We all start somewhere, and once in a while make some nice finds, and like you said if we are really lucky we make a great find!
All that plus my family thinks I'm nuts for detecting, but you guys don't! :D

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes i never share nothing to me it is ego to post what you find...

I enjoy seeing what other people find. I post my finds to feel like I'm contributing. If no one posted what they found, I would rarely visit.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy seeing what other people find. I post my finds to feel like I'm contributing. If no one posted what they found, I would rarely visit.

I agree...keep the pictures coming. As to the fake finds? Only the shadow knows!

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found my niche (comfort zone)here at TN is attempting to ID objects discovered by others andsharing some history regarding those objects. I stay out of the ego and subjective authentication discussions. Somewhat similar toDeepseeker, reading TN posts and commenting has become a hobby unto itself for me. And from my USAF days working in an operating roomenvironment, I still practice 'triage' on TN by assisting those whostill have 'hope' versus those who I consider are beyond 'hope'.
Peace..........
Don

While I will occasionally post the results of a hunt, I'm more like you... I get a kick out of helping people I.D. finds, and throw in a little history or some technical detail (particularly regarding silver).

But I sure do enjoy looking at others' finds. It inspires me.

I hope things don't change too much.

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I concur with your comments to the point that on my banner vote last night I stated that the current events had me leary, but the find I was voting for was amazing and I need to believe in the honesty of the members.

I generally think almost everyone here is honest and helpful. It's a good community.

It's funny, but I enjoy looking at the relatively pedestrian finds as much as I do the incredible ones. I guess that's why I don't really understand the motivation behind shading the truth.

I've been meaning to ask you about your F75. Do you have the DST mods?

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just keep the banner as is. Also, start to issue a "rasberry" to those who abuse the system.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, apparently I missed the whole story.....Was out playing in the dirt and then had to do the go to work thing.....

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you don't even think of banner finds when you get nothing great anyways

but it's still fun to hunt

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you imagine trying to ID a find without pictures? A metal detecting site without pics would be pretty silly and pointless.
OWK, you have impressed me greatly with your abilities and willingness to help ID finds too. Keep up the good work:icon_thumright:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
you don't even think of banner finds when you get nothing great anyways but it's still fun to hunt

Jeff, I completely agree. If I ever find a banner, it's probably attached to a punched ticket for the hereafter!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread