Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Minelab Equinox 800 and 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After several weeks of researching coils I finally pulled the trigger on a Coiltek 15 for my Etrac. The Old closed down golf course that I have had the permission to hunt for the last 5 years still produces coins but not at the rate that it used to. Over 2000 coins there including 173 silvers. I believe that their are many coins left but just out of the reach of my stock coil. Not unusual to find rosies there 6-7 inches deep. Hoping that this coil will give me a few more inches to get those deeper coins. I know a lot of you will say no, but to me worth the gamble. The 1762 2 reale that I use as my avatar came from there. Use to be very old homesteads there years before it became a golf course. Wish me luck.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Luck! :icon_thumright:

Let us know how it turns out!

OP
OP
Sheppie22

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forgot to mention, I ordered from Bart at Big Boys Hobbies. A pleasure to deal with.

OP
OP
Sheppie22

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coil arrived last night. Will give a try tomorrow/

OP
OP
Sheppie22

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
225.00 with free shipping from big boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Over 2000 coins there including 173 silvers. ....

First off, I want to say congratz on the great site to detect. I bet it's been a lot of fun racking up those coins over all this time ! We had a 1930s golf course here (that doubled as polo ground, and parking lot for next-door arena during events) that used to give up old coins. But scarcely 20-ish silver, and perhaps 50 or 60 wheaties ? Nothing at all like the tallies you've racked up !

As for the 15" coil on an etrac, I'm afraid you're not going to increase depth on coin-sized targets. All you'll do is increase coverage swath. Because the "point of diminishing returns" for coin-size targets, on the explorer series, is at their 10.5 or 11" coil size. After that , you merely get larger objects deeper, and get more swath. At the cost of warbly performance, poor pinpointing, etc....

There are other machines that do indeed tend to get deeper with WOT type/size coils. Like the CTX with the 17", and the Sov with the WOT. But as for the earlier generation explorers, they tended to max out at the stock coil, on coin-sized targets.

So if this doesn't work out, they you might consider springing for another combo. that goes deeper. Like with the 2 I mentioned, I've seen guys go 14" on coins, while retaining a semblance of TID . Takes a lot of getting used to though, and not recommended for junky or iron riddled sites.

OP
OP
Sheppie22

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm afraid I will have to disagree with you on this one. I buried a quarter in my yard at 14 inches and a dime at 10 inches covered them back up and went over them with my stock coil would not hit them at all. Switched coils and the coiltek hit them just fine. I am out in the field as we talk and I have already found two silvers this morning and Merc and a Rosie. Neither one was more than six or 7 inches so I'm sure the stock coil would've had them fine but I pinpointed just fine with it.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Got to go along with Tom on this one. As I said earlier, it's the electronics, not the coil that gives you depth. Frank

OP
OP
Sheppie22

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your choice

OP
OP
Sheppie22

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got in from a morning hunt at the same golf course. Used the Coiltek 15 all morning. The ground there is extremely clean out on the course. Hardly any iron or junk. Found two silver dimes that could have been found with either coil, but did find some extremely deep wheats. Didn't measure but probably 8-9 inches. Ran the Etrac in manual with sensitivity at 25. Etrac ran very stable. For the most pinpointing was very good. I few were towards the back end of the coil. No issues at all. My field test last night proved to me that it does go deeper. When you go over the same target with 2 different coils, same machine, same sittings, one coil picks it up, one doesn't, how can it be said that the Coiltek doesn't go deeper. Not trying to start a argument but I seen it for myself.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... Not trying to start a argument but I seen it for myself.....

ooohhhh a trouble maker, eh ? haha, just kiddin' ya! Then you must have a machine made on a friday. There is very subtle differences between machines and coils. And perhaps you have the magic combination. Because I hunt with some turf experts who have tried the WOT on their explorers and etracs. And despite various efforts and various control fiddling, found no more depth. That was my experience as well. At least for "pronounced" differences that is. Perhaps with a side-by-side very scrutinizing flagged test , it might in fact have a tad advantage. To me it wasn't worth the warbliness and poor pin-pointing.

If you're getting a pronounced depth increase, then you've got a good match of coil and machine perhaps. Or perhaps your type soil versus where we'd tried it ?

OP
OP
Sheppie22

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand what you are saying. I purchased this coil only for this golf course as I think that there are still a lot of coins just out of the reach of the pro coil. Even another inch or two would open up a whole new world. The ground there is so clean that it ran just as stable as the pro. I had a few pinpoint issues but for the most point it wasn't a issue. I do have 40 years if experience so I'm sure that helps. Like I said I do have to put a lot of trust in my backyard field test. It was a apples to apples comparison and the Coiltek won. Thanks for your input.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well ... as far as depth goes here's what i found ...

as far as depth goes ...
I had the etrac with standard coil and pounded a colonial site - 20 coppers all pre 1800's in a very small spot maybe the size of a basketball court,
we hit it 20 times easy after that (4 of us with 3 different machines) and it started to produce very little, smaller buttons mostly - we thought we found everything .. started trying right after the rain hit, tried crossing and hitting the area at different angles, you name it ... no more coins only small items and junk

bought a 10x14 excelerator coil and the FIRST time back
pulled a 1794 copper from about 13" deep, two large flat buttons too on the same dig - all in a spot that was right in the middle of the field ... figure we walked over these many times
that coil definitely produced more depth and got me a couple more finds - the tone just wasn't there with the stock coil

my 2 cents -

vp

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread