HOW DO YOU CHECK DIAMONDS?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is good to know. I guess I might have sold some Mossanite rings!!

My post was just a FYI, I did a lot of research on diamond testers because I was going to buy one, that is when I found out about Mossanite stones and how the cheap diamond testers can't identify between diamond and mossanite.......

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But they can rule out other things like CZ and glass.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But they can rule out other things like CZ and glass.

Yes they can but for me personally I want one that tells me if it is a diamond, not maybe a diamond...

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they can but for me personally I want one that tells me if it is a diamond, not maybe a diamond...

The guy that showed me had two testers, we would test with one machine/tester if it said diamond? Then you would dig out the Moissanite tester. But that was years back... Now they have testers that can do them both. But I'm sure there are better synthetics now that you need a whole new tester for.:laughing7:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it does turn out to be Moissanite don't trash it...Moissanite is still a pretty good find. Better than CZ. As a matter of fact...i prefer moissanite to diamond. Its just as hard as a diamond and has twice the refraction giving it an awesome sparkle in the right light. Also, no child or person has ever died or been forced to mine a Moissanite.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Send it to me and I'll send ya a minie ball in exchange. Seriously I hope it is real. You can usually get a good idea if the stone is real by the looks of the setting. A jeweler isn't going to make fun of you just by asking.

Actually, if he goes in without a beanie, the jeweler may laugh at those ears;)

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Well, that's available too. But you wont get it for no $12! 8-)

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't buy one of those cheap Chinese diamond testers that sell for $15...I tested one against a real one, a mizer, and it was a total gyp. Pure rubbish.
Decent gold and diamond testers cost dough. There's no way around it. Btw those acid test kits for gold and silver? Be aware that the acid has a shelf life. It loses it's strength, and hence it's accuracy. Buy from someone that sells a lot of kits, they're less likely to have old stock.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, yet.

Jeff, the way to field test a diamond is to attempt to "fog it" with your breath. A real diamond dissipates heat so quickly, it won't hold the fog. CZ, glass, and other gems will readily fog up. The easiest way to see this is to test it on a known real diamond and a known CZ or something, you'll immediately see after a warm breath on the diamond (or two), you'll see condensation on the fake stone, but the diamond will remain clear.

This is by far the best "free" indicator other than a diamond tester (which are inexpensive...and incidentally operate on the same principle... heat dissipation!).

CZ fogs so dang fast, that it's easier than attempting to eyeball the cut/quality and whiteness of the stone. After a while, though, you definitely CAN tell by looking a diamond. They have a different refraction of light. CZ for example will look cottony-white. But that takes experience, and even then the fog test works better!

Easy way to rule it out. Go get excited and breath heavily on it. LOL

Skippy

This goes with what your saying about look. Some people can see it, Over the years I've found, some people can just look at it and tell and others "Just don't see it."

Some people can tell just by looking.

Here's an article that kind of explains how to tell the difference by "look".

Moissanite vs. Diamond | Brilliant Earth

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forgot the fogging test, Skippy. :thumbsup: Works best if you have known control stones to test at the same time (relative humidity will vary, etc).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions