HOW DO YOU CHECK DIAMONDS?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not recommend hitting it with a hammer. Just because its hard don't mean it won't shatter. Take it to your local crooked pawn shop and have them check it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heh... hit it harder with a bigger hammer. :P

Clean it the best you can... then look into it with best loop / mag you have...
If you see nothing but perfectly clear... might be a fake.
IF you see striations or black spec(s) that would be carbon and would point more toward real.

Stop in any pawn shop and just ask them to test it. Or jewelry store.
Don't sell till you get an honest idea of value bya asking several different ones.

Oh if you see nothing and it is very clear... this does not definitely mean a fake...
A high quality stone will have no visible defects etc.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, a diamond will shatter if hit with hammer! :laughing7:How do I know this? I've smashed a few scrapping gold! It was a quick and easy way to remove stones, when in a hurry. :laughing7:

Everyone has there own way and tricks, The simplest? Take it to a local jeweler and ask if they will check it for you. The glass test isn't fool proof and glass will scratch glass, a cheap diamond tester doesn't rule out Moissanite. (or didn't use to). If you want to play around there are tests that will rule out other materials. and if you look real close you might be able to see carbon or inclusions. Some people can tell by color and look. I was good at it in the past. But to try to explain that? is hard with out things to compare and under different lights.

If you want to know now? take it to a jeweler! If you want to play around? There are tests online and I'm sure people in the threads know. My memory sucks, and it's been a few years back so I don't remember any specific ones off hand. Just my two cents!:laughing7:

Another thing! Don't get upset if the jeweler tells you a price that you think is too cheap. Most smaller diamonds aren't worth much. There was a point when gold was High and everyone was scrapping, most guys in the area weren't even buying, or paying for anything below 3/4 carat (75 points). There was so many floating around at that time. It had to be flawless!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would feel stupid taking it a jeweler if it's obviously glass, guess I'll send the wife

DanWho

Feb 16, 2016
IOWA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett Infinium and
Whites Eagle II S (yes its older than some of the young'uns here)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to aliexpress, they have a cheap tester for about $12 shipped. Dont know how long it will work but should do ok in a pinch.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only way you will know is to get a good diamond tester or take it to a jeweler or pawn shop, you cant tell otherwise....

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a diamond tester. Send it to me and I'll test it for you.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a diamond tester. Send it to me and I'll test it for you.

Jeff Gordon"Hey? Why does this look like the stone was set with pliers? Is this even my stone?"
Gib" hmmmm...:dontknow: must have happened in shipping! All I know...Is your stone was fake!"

DO I have it close?:laughing7:

Last edited:

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very simple test, If you can see news print or book print through it, it is zircon.....Joe McDonough

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeff Gordon"Hey? Why does this look like the stone was set with pliars? Is this even my stone?"
Gib" hmmmm...:dontknow: must have happened in shipping! All I know...Is your stone was fake!"

DO I have it close?:laughing7:

No sir, you don't have it close.

I'd NEVER use a common set of pliers...

8mygritz

Sep 21, 2015
maryland
Detector(s) used
propointer,350,AT pro(rarely use,prefer 350).
Primary Interest:
Other
1 of these...pretty cheap on ebay. DSCN2121.JPG

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 of these...pretty cheap on ebay. View attachment 1283426

The cheap diamond testers will not tell you if the stones are Mossanite or diamond, look at directions you posted of the diamond tester, it tells you it can't tell if stones are Mossanite which are used as fake diamonds...

Unless you buy one that can tell difference between Mossanite and diamond you want know if diamonds are real with out having it tested by jeweler...

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I found it in an old park and really doubt they are real. I mean they couldn't be right?
Just couldn't through it away without being sure ya know?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went through some gravels from the Crater of Diamonds in Arkansas I had brought home awhile back. A long while back. To make a long story even longer I'm going there in a few weeks to have THEM test the
two weird stones I found. And look for diamonds of course.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Diamonds will definitely shatter. They are crystals and have cleavage planes.

They will not be scratched by a file or corundum (ruby).

The easiest, best and most certain way to test is via Index of Refraction, but that's not possible without a specialized oil or a testing machine.

Usually, the setting is a good indication of whether it is a valuable stone or not. Rare is the diamond in a silver setting/ring.

A good way to test for natural vs manmade stone is to closely examine it under the highest power magnification you have available. A natural stone will virtually always (99.99999999999999999999999999999999999) have flaws in it such as inclusions and obvious cleavage planes. This works for all gemstones.

Best thing to do is take it to a jeweler, coin, or pawn store. Be laughed at- what do you care? If you are close to me, I'd be happy to give you my opinion.

I didn't stay at a holiday inn, but I am a geologist and lifelong rockhound.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have ARA test all my diamonds. They are worthless unless over 3/4 carat anyway.

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Send it to me and I'll send ya a minie ball in exchange. Seriously I hope it is real. You can usually get a good idea if the stone is real by the looks of the setting. A jeweler isn't going to make fun of you just by asking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread