kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a guy stop by last summer (he actually grew up in the old farmhouse) and asked if he could swing for a while. Can't remember the detector (it was a White's), but he'd had it about 6 years, cost him $600, and had a display that showed different coins. The detector kept saying he found this coin and that coin, but there were NO coins.

What stands out in my mind is HOW he was swinging. It was rather fast and he skipped a LOT of ground.

Read an article some time back about the search shape of detectors - maybe it was on another gold/treasure site? Anyway, the illustration showed that some detectors view(?) a wide area near the surface, but taper off to a tiny point at maximum depth. That would certainly explain why sometimes you hit a target and sometimes you don't.

Add that to the speed of the swing - if too fast, then the electronics may not have time to sense an object, discriminate the surrounding earth, try to distinguish what the object is, and finally tell you that something is there.

What was funny about this guy is that his machine told him there was a large silver coin. ...Almost seemed like he was searching for a particular item, but... Anyway, he dug about 9" and pulled out a piece of copper tubing. He left it on the steps, and next time he stopped by, I reminded him not to forget his treasure!! :laughing7:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a guy stop by last summer (he actually grew up in the old farmhouse) and asked if he could swing for a while. Can't remember the detector (it was a White's), but he'd had it about 6 years, cost him $600, and had a display that showed different coins. The detector kept saying he found this coin and that coin, but there were NO coins.

What stands out in my mind is HOW he was swinging. It was rather fast and he skipped a LOT of ground.

Read an article some time back about the search shape of detectors - maybe it was on another gold/treasure site? Anyway, the illustration showed that some detectors view(?) a wide area near the surface, but taper off to a tiny point at maximum depth. That would certainly explain why sometimes you hit a target and sometimes you don't.

Add that to the speed of the swing - if too fast, then the electronics may not have time to sense an object, discriminate the surrounding earth, try to distinguish what the object is, and finally tell you that something is there.

What was funny about this guy is that his machine told him there was a large silver coin. ...Almost seemed like he was searching for a particular item, but... Anyway, he dug about 9" and pulled out a piece of copper tubing. He left it on the steps, and next time he stopped by, I reminded him not to forget his treasure!! :laughing7:

Truth About Search Coils

I think this is what you are talking about!! This is a great article on coils and gives the below ground view of how your coil works...good read!!:thumbsup:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What I think is that with your new found treasures you are quicker to slow down and take your time. The yard where I found a US puppy paw belt buckle and the mister found a US breast plate we wore out for a few months. A former friend we invited there found a belt buckle as well but he often missed big targets such as foil milk lids. Those ring up on my machine the same as a nice silver half and he kept swinging over them and not digging them. I guess my point is sometimes taking your time and digging nearly everything can will yield great results. I think long time diggers often get lazy and only rely on the VDI numbers on their machines to " tell them" what to dig. My first good find was a US belt buckle in a yard that had been pounded I'm sure in years past but it was in the area where a flower bed would have been and no one dared going in the ladies' flower beds,lol.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeff, a whole lot of people I've seen around swing like they're beating a snake to death and continue on path like they're on a mission to escape.

Keep hitting them parks my friend, there's something nice awaiting you.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jeff, a whole lot of people I've seen around swing like they're beating a snake to death and continue on path like they're on a mission to escape.

Keep hitting them parks my friend, there's something nice awaiting you.

You described our former friend to a T plus he had a coil the size of a Volkswagen and he was swinging that thing like the Jolly Green Giant swinging a scathe through a row of mega corn,lol.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
During the 80's when I was completely addicted, and continuing today the major evolution in detectors I see was the development of the Double D Coil. There is a world of difference in ground coverage. I've posted these pics several times prior to this, but let's put this out there again:

Concentric Coils.jpg Double-D.jpg

Yes, makes an incredible difference in ground coverage!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During the 80's when I was completely addicted, and continuing today the major evolution in detectors I see was the development of the Double D Coil. There is a world of difference in ground coverage. I've posted these pics several times prior to this, but let's put this out there again:

View attachment 1284846 View attachment 1284847

Yes, makes an incredible difference in ground coverage!

You say that like you are "no longer" addicted ... lol :P

AS you type away and spend your free time LIKE ME on a metal detecting FORUM ! :P :) heh

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You say that like you are "no longer" addicted ... lol :Ph

I am "newly" addicted? I guess, otherwise why am I here?

Maybe it is just the adventure and the good people I've met, like you my friend!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you see a "height challenged" individual, with a compound bow.....:laughing7:
Did you know Brad is an actual world record holder in archery?:headbang:

Jeff.... I admit I have NOT taken an ax to anyone this year....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I am "height challenged" at only standing at 3'-10".... but I can shoot a 48" bow.... :laughing7: Ask Oregon Viking how this is possible. He's only 1.5" taller than me.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeff.... I admit I have NOT taken an ax to anyone this year....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I am "height challenged" at only standing at 3'-10".... but I can shoot a 48" bow.... :laughing7: Ask Oregon Viking how this is possible. He's only 1.5" taller than me.

3 ft 10? You shrunk a couple more inches.
Still slower than that that electric garage door huh?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
3 ft 10? You shrunk a couple more inches.
Still slower than that that electric garage door huh?

:laughing7: Yea... I got lucky that day guy on the door. Don't wanna put that pressure thingy into reverse to the test on my truck cab.

Yea the "height challenged" comment is a O.V. thing he has to get over. I'm at 3'-10" and he's now at 4'-1". But I can still kick his ass on the pool table!!!!!!!!!!!!:occasion14:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My detector loves copper & silver it's what allows me to search a really trashy place most people avoid by listening just to the audio. I have a white's.

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mine loves aluminum the most

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! Ya, they even go so far as to call can slaw coins.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You described our former friend to a T plus he had a coil the size of a Volkswagen and he was swinging that thing like the Jolly Green Giant swinging a scathe through a row of mega corn,lol.

Witnessed the worst technique ever a few years ago at the lake. Not too hard to see he was a newbie and it wasn't the full size shovel that he was carrying that gave it away. No, when he discovered that it was awkward to swing the detector and carry the shovel at the same time, his solution was to just hold the detector out, unmoving, while he walked super fast around the beach, hoping for a signal. He didn't stay long though, not a thing to be found at this beach.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Viking View Post
I have been planting stuff....Just for you!!
Damn you O.V... YOU promised not to tell him. Ok, here's the truth.... O.V. and I planted 102 coins from 1805-1898. There planted in the Greenwood area (S. Indy). And I planted about 50 horseshoes give or take 50!!!!!!!

Ok... enough B.S. If you'd like to have some fun just stop by on your way south guy.
====================================
And I planted 1,207 pull tabs. :laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions