Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We all face aging in different ways. And planning just in case is good. This past week out panning with family I fell on rocks. Big deal except I could not get back up. Actually endangered daughter and SIN attempts to fift my 225# self. Of course I expected "one day" to face that life changing decision. My body is failing. Just turned 74 so that is normal. But as Men and fathers and husbands we have always been there for family. Take a bullet if necessary. Cradle children through dark hours. And family grieving deaths. Men are supposed to be strong. Failure of any sort bothers our pride. Our brain still says go for it. But time catches up to all of us.

Feeling my next adventure will result in a rescue rather helping hand it is time. Pack up the treasure hunting gear. Gold panning, rock hunting, artifact searching, detecting and especially digging. My daughter and son-in-law are devout fisherpersons. Camping and hiking and gold panning is what they do. So no moree short hikes over the hill to the sweetest fishing spot ever. Turn the stuff over to those who can use it. Not a surprise but always too soon.

Our new senior apartment has table top metal working equipment. So maybe lure building or reel repair or coin rings will be next. Sitting around is never good. Taking it day by day. If tomorrow is a good day for a drive great. :)

I have hunted and fished and boated and detected about everywhere I wanted to. Lots of pictures.. please. Have you pictures printed. WAlgreens will keep your photos forever. It is worth the trouble. In 2002 a good friend needed to take his mind off his best friends sudden death. Hunting, fishing.. outdoors stuff. His wife asked me to take him on a trip. My brother and I and my friend went to Wyoming for a week. Fished the N. platte and drove around. Recently I asked him if he recalled our Wyoming trip. No if fact he said it wasn't him! I had some pix printed from that trip. He still didn't remember but I did. So maybe a single collecting memories for all of us works.

I may post in mapping area as I do enjoy reading them. And googling. My car trips will be closer to home (Colorado) so no problem finding scenery or wildlife. Wishing all you good folks on T-Net the best hunting and community ever. Love all you guys.. made my life more complete! And that's a fact Jack...
BB:coffee2::coffee2:

markt67

Dec 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you the best and we'll be here if you just want to chat. God bless. Mark t

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck in whatever life brings your way next! Someday I plan on selling all my CRH and metal detecting finds and hopefully use that money for something fun. Maybe a cruise for the wife and two kids.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buddy I'm right behind ya.... I'm almost 61 now and still love to explore all the ridges around me here in Middle TN. (Hickman Co.). I have a cave out back and STILL want to crawl into the deepest parts of it with anybody who dares to go with me. My body my rebel at times but the mind is still there much younger.

My H.S. days of glory are over. Mile times in the 4:30's and two miles in the high 9:00's are OVER!!!!!!!!!!!! But I still remember what it took and the pain level learned by experience then. But it's all coming to a head now.... and the sad part is (like you) I realize it... I guess it just a fact of life (duh)... but for warriors like us it........... SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep truckin"..... Brad

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your glory days aren't over. Have your family bring their prospecting concentrates back for you to refine. I love doing that.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is also a good reminder for those of us who keep planning that "expedition" -- not only to be physically ready for it, but to actually get out and do it and not just putting it off, saying, "I'll do that one day." -- "One day" might be too late. What a regret that would be... We all have our own "odometers" and we don't know exactly at what point we start to wear out, or what could happen to cause a premature breakdown.

I remember being able to dunk a basketball and racing professional motocross, and I wouldn't try either now at 44. I told my wife not too long ago that there are some things I want to search for that I won't be able to do in 20-30 years, and she told me to go and do it, whenever I want, and that she wants to go on some of them. Needless to say, she's a keeper.

It sounds like you, Buffalo Bob, have done it right, kept your priorities straight, being a great example to your family, and have kept a good record to maintain those memories. And I commend you for it. I hope you are still able to get out and enjoy yourself and find happiness in your next thing. It sounds like you have a great mindset and attitude!

I bet you have some stories to share too, so I sincerely hope you stick around and pass along your knowledge gained over the years. I'm certain everyone here would benefit from it.

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoy your "retirement" and most of all, enjoy life

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how you feel, but am not ready to give it up just yet. I just turned 75 and really feel it sometimes. But, so far am hanging in there. When I am out detecting I forget all about age. Might be stiff and sore the next day, but Hey. Sometimes you think, this might be my last spring, my last summer, or my last Christmas, Birthday etc. I really don't like detecting alone. No choice, so I do it.
I have lost three close friends in the last couple of months. Scary. But here's hoping you have many more years to enjoy the things you can do.
All the very Best to you and yours!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting older we have to be inventive in the ways we go about doing the things we did with ease when younger.
I now carry a cell phone because i detect alone and the knees and ankles aren't what they used to be.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BB I am getting the same feelings even though I am younger.
I wish I could do what I used to. You still have your mind, keep it young!

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tim thanks for your kind thoughts. Live long and prosper... :)

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The dirt seems to get harder packed. The grass a bit wetter and the wind always in my face. Thanks pal and good luck! BB

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the best to you! A noble choice to think about hangin' it up for your own wellbeing. Stay safe, but always seek adventure within your limits. Cheers to you.

Thanks Tim. I still make mental notes about an old building or parking lot being dug up. Just a quick look around the edges. Broken pottery or bottles? Old here is 1850 so bottles can tell a lot. Good hunting... :)

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the best to you! A noble choice to think about hangin' it up for your own wellbeing. Stay safe, but always seek adventure within your limits. Cheers to you.

The dirt seems to get harder packed. The grass a bit wetter and the wind always in my face. Thanks pal and good luck! BB

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Know your limits.. to me means scar-tissue. Like most boys/men that is where we find the edges. But also make the basest campfire stories. Some are old memories and the characters may not be correct for a particular story, but they get better each time told.. :)

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know how you feel, but am not ready to give it up just yet. I just turned 75 and really feel it sometimes. But, so far am hanging in there. When I am out detecting I forget all about age. Might be stiff and sore the next day, but Hey. Sometimes you think, this might be my last spring, my last summer, or my last Christmas, Birthday etc. I really don't like detecting alone. No choice, so I do it.
I have lost three close friends in the last couple of months. Scary. But here's hoping you have many more years to enjoy the things you can do.
All the very Best to you and yours!

Thanks you. Ten years ago my longest outdoor friend, since 1980, have our share of dumb stuff we survived. Ten years ago June 2006 I convinced him and myself tube fishing would be easier on our knees. We made the Denver sports page the next week. Both of us at 10,000 lake just thawing worked our knees hard to keep from getting sucked down the overflow outlet to a river. I went through a large pipe, under the road into darkness. Yes. I kew I would not survive but shot out the outletwatched by some pretty scared hiker. They dragged me out then watched Ron, my buddy shoot through still on his tube. After that no boats no tubing. Bank fishing in a chair. That limit is one we will never forget. Keep safe and let others climb ropes and dig deeo.. :)

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your comments hit close to home. Maybe because I'm not that far behind you?
Some movie had a line - "Everyone dies, but not everyone lives." I don't recall the name of the movie (I am terrible at that) but the statement always spoke to me.

Sounds like you've really lived... and will continue doing so.

I hope I can do as well.

Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fell in the 30" inch snow TWICE this January and could not get up. I eventually figured it out, but I feel for you. I see the end of detecting coming too, tripped over an old fence a few weeks ago and wrench my neck. It lived.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions