What would you do if you found this watch?

OP
OP
cache finder

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The experience did not change my attitude about returning ID'able stuff that may have sentimental value.

Wow, that is a bummer, on that one I bet you wish you kept it, I know I woulda been kicking myself for returning it. I return everything I can find an owner to and I don't ask or need anything in turn but a thank you and the excitement they get. But you are right, there are bad apples, you did your part!
Hopefully the next rolex you find the owner will be excited to get it back or there is no owner to be found.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda makes you wonder if the reason it was reported missing/stolen was because she was out to get the insurance money. That would account for her less than cordial reaction to you returning it.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take a vacation to the other side of the coast and sell it to a auction house .
Then take a few more vacations . You only live once .
GREAT FIND DUDE

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"
Kinda makes you wonder if the reason it was reported missing/stolen was because she was out to get the insurance money. That would account for her less than cordial reaction to you returning it." ..Msbeep

You know, that thought occurred to me too.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned a Rolex Submariner in stainless and gold. Played golf, the gold links stretched, heavy watch, rubbed a wrist bone raw and I got jumped twice for it. Both times saved by other people. On top of that I lost 2 minutes a week and because I didn't wear it on weekends, it had to be wound and reset every Monday. Sold it, bought two Seikos and never looked back. Have put 4 batteries in the watches and they keep perfect time. Can't imagine $122,000 for a watch. Thought $6500 was outrageous...
I can't imagine 6500 bucks, I bought a Seiko in NAM in '69 is my most expensive. I now buy China Made for less than 20 bucks at Wally World and they keep almost perfect time. I keep one for dress and one for everyday. I average one new every 2 years. :Marvin
PS, I thought about getting one of these----no batteries and no winding.
images

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kinda makes you wonder if the reason it was reported missing/stolen was because she was out to get the insurance money. That would account for her less than cordial reaction to you returning it.

Maybe I need to clean up these old horseshoes for a date and name... The insurance companies might want them back.... :laughing7:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't give away the four with the initials "GW" on them, ok?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The experience did not change my attitude about returning ID'able stuff that may have sentimental value.

Not to hijack the thread, but near similar experience with a class ring return.

The guy grabbed it out of my hand at the front door, said "I thought I lost it", and then left without even saying thanks....

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:tongue3:

The guy grabbed it out of my hand at the front door, said "I thought I lost it", and then left without even saying thanks....

I'll bet he's constantly busy adjusting his calendar to meet all his friends.

OP
OP
cache finder

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That would have just left me standing there in awe...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would I do if I found that watch... ?

Well I would first check to see if the time was right. :P

OP
OP
cache finder

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would I do if I found that watch... ?

Well I would first check to see if the time was right. :P

LOL I was going to say I doubt I would do that, now that I think about it that is exactly what I would do.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I locked them in the vault Brad, safe and sound!

I don't think I could wear that watch there's just something wrong about a watch costing more than the truck I'm driving.
If I found it, I wouldn't know what it was unless I looked it up or someone told me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cache finder

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I locked them in the vault Brad, safe and sound!

I don't think I could wear that watch there's just something wrong about a watch costing more than the truck I'm driving.
If I found it, I wouldn't know what it was unless I looked it up or someone told me.
I know, it's almost a third of my house.. lol

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doubt that I'll ever find such a valuable item, but after clicking the link now I'm getting bombarded here with ads for obnoxious 6-figure watches. I'm rather certain that they won't succeed in convincing me to buy one, haha.

OP
OP
cache finder

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doubt that I'll ever find such a valuable item, but after clicking the link now I'm getting bombarded here with ads for obnoxious 6-figure watches. I'm rather certain that they won't succeed in convincing me to buy one, haha.

I know, it's crazy how the ads here mimic the sites you go to. Not quite sure how it does it, but it's kinda scary. I was talking to the wife about something the other day on the phone and then I was on facebook on my phone and an ad came up for the random thing we were talking about!!! Confidence? I think not

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread