What would you do if you found this watch?

PluGGLife

Dec 21, 2015
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I would change my shorts.

Then I would find a buyer :laughing7:

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pay my mortgage off, after I sold it of course

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have probably buried it again...it's horrible.

SS

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I know a guy that bought a fake Rolex. He'd show people but then tell them it was fake.
Like what's the point?

OP
OP
cache finder

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a guy that bought a fake Rolex. He'd show people but then tell them it was fake.
Like what's the point?

I had a fake rolex in a display I was selling things at the flea market 2 weekends ago and someone stole it, I'm sure they will be disappointed when they find out its a fake...lol

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have no idea what it was other than a watch...the same with sunglasses.

OP
OP
cache finder

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd sell it, and start looking for this watch!:laughing7:

Patek Philippe Platinum Celestial 6102P | Total Design Reviews

Then sell it! And so on!!!:laughing7:

There are some really crazy priced watches out there! Some go into the millions! I can't even imagine wearing anything on my wrist as it is, let alone a watch that costs that much.:laughing7:
Wow! That is an expensive watch! I wore my friends $60,000 watch for a few minutes. It was nice but I couldn't pay that much for a watch...my iphone will do.

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not, there's a waiting list for that model.
I found a ladies rolex while detecting the beach on Singer Island Fl. Some yrs back, I thought it was fake.
I took it to a Pawn shop later that day, the guy removed the back and said "It'$ real, I'll give you $400 for it, cash right now." No tks. It had initials and a date on the back.
I took it home and was thinking "I can get that underwater detector I've been wanting"...but then I thought "what if it had sentimental value, maybe her mother gave it to her or it was a anniversary gift from her husband"?
I decided that I'd make an attempt at least to find the owner. I contacted the hotel closest to the place where I found it and told them I found a ladies rolex and if anyone reported it. They said yeah, a guest did report a lost rolex, and gave me her number. I was thinking "this has got to be the owner, how many lady's rolex'$ are lost on the beach"?
I talked to her and she correctly ID'd the date and initials. Oh well, there goes that new detector, but the right thing is the right thing.
I told her I'd meet her in the lobby and return the watch that evening.
Finding her in the crowded lobby I gave her the watch, she examined it closely with a frown and gave a curt thanks, then spun and stalked off. Hmmm. It almost felt like she was MAD at me.
Then 2 guys detached from the background and grabbed me by my arms, lifting me to my toes and hustling me into a empty side corridor, slamming me against the wall.
"What were you doing with that watch?" Asked one of them as they flashed detective shields.
"I found it metal detecting"
"She said you were trying to extort money for it".
"I GAVE her the thing back, never asked for nuthin'". I was shocked.
They eyed me, sized me up, looking at me with hostile distrust, examined my DL, then said" OK, you can leave".
As I was leaving I saw the lady on the 2nd floor landing talking to someone and started to climb the stairs to ask her why she did that, but one of the detectives ran in front of me and said "Nuh uh, get outta here".

My thoughts were that in every barrel there's a bad apple, most people are decent and fair-minded, I just ran into an exception.
I've returned expensive jewelry b4 and it was gratifying to see the relief and gratitude, and they've given me gift certificates to restaurants or invited me to dinner, sometimes I just tell them I've been repayed already.
But that's my ladies Rolex experience. I eventually combined some money from found gold rings and bracelets along with $20 a week I put aside from my job and got that underwater detector, a Fisher CZ20.

The experience did not change my attitude about returning ID'able stuff that may have sentimental value.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had one of those and to be honest I don't like watches without actual numbers

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gone.

I like analog watches with arabic numbers on the hours.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
some of the amazon reviews are funny

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I owned a Rolex Submariner in stainless and gold. Played golf, the gold links stretched, heavy watch, rubbed a wrist bone raw and I got jumped twice for it. Both times saved by other people. On top of that I lost 2 minutes a week and because I didn't wear it on weekends, it had to be wound and reset every Monday. Sold it, bought two Seikos and never looked back. Have put 4 batteries in the watches and they keep perfect time. Can't imagine $122,000 for a watch. Thought $6500 was outrageous...

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just had to look. At 122 thousand dollars only one left in stock?? How about only one in stock period?

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Believe it or not, there's a waiting list for that model.
I found a ladies rolex while detecting the beach on Singer Island Fl. Some yrs back, I thought it was fake.
I took it to a Pawn shop later that day, the guy removed the back and said "It'$ real, I'll give you $400 for it, cash right now." No tks. It had initials and a date on the back.
I took it home and was thinking "I can get that underwater detector I've been wanting"...but then I thought "what if it had sentimental value, maybe her mother gave it to her or it was a anniversary gift from her husband"?
I decided that I'd make an attempt at least to find the owner. I contacted the hotel closest to the place where I found it and told them I found a ladies rolex and if anyone reported it. They said yeah, a guest did report a lost rolex, and gave me her number. I was thinking "this has got to be the owner, how many lady's rolex'$ are lost on the beach"?
I talked to her and she correctly ID'd the date and initials. Oh well, there goes that new detector, but the right thing is the right thing.
I told her I'd meet her in the lobby and return the watch that evening.
Finding her in the crowded lobby I gave her the watch, she examined it closely with a frown and gave a curt thanks, then spun and stalked off. Hmmm. It almost felt like she was MAD at me.
Then 2 guys detached from the background and grabbed me by my arms, lifting me to my toes and hustling me into a empty side corridor, slamming me against the wall.
"What were you doing with that watch?" Asked one of them as they flashed detective shields.
"I found it metal detecting"
"She said you were trying to extort money for it".
"I GAVE her the thing back, never asked for nuthin'". I was shocked.
They eyed me, sized me up, looking at me with hostile distrust, examined my DL, then said" OK, you can leave".
As I was leaving I saw the lady on the 2nd floor landing talking to someone and started to climb the stairs to ask her why she did that, but one of the detectives ran in front of me and said "Nuh uh, get outta here".

My thoughts were that in every barrel there's a bad apple, most people are decent and fair-minded, I just ran into an exception.
I've returned expensive jewelry b4 and it was gratifying to see the relief and gratitude, and they've given me gift certificates to restaurants or invited me to dinner, sometimes I just tell them I've been repayed already.
But that's my ladies Rolex experience. I eventually combined some money from found gold rings and bracelets along with $20 a week I put aside from my job and got that underwater detector, a Fisher CZ20.

The experience did not change my attitude about returning ID'able stuff that may have sentimental value.

That's it! I'm keeping everything I find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions