NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... I finally went and bought a recovery magnet and gave it a shot today. Didn't get much other than a few square nails, bottle caps and rust. But.... there were some things we got a grip on that the magnet just couldn't get all the way out of the silt. So, I'm fairly sure the "100 lbs" rating on the magnet was more than a little optimistic..... I'm going to get another one and try again, but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good magnet. I know there's good stuff in the bayou, and, well.... I want it....

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a 3/4" neodymium ball inside of a foot long 3/4" PVC pipe with end caps. The caps obviously extend the distance therefore decrease the strength a little, but I mainly use it for loose dirt I have in the hole anyway. I doubt it would pull a piece of iron out of packed soil with it.

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 3/4" neodymium ball inside of a foot long 3/4" PVC pipe with end caps. The caps obviously extend the distance therefore decrease the strength a little, but I mainly use it for loose dirt I have in the hole anyway. I doubt it would pull a piece of iron out of packed soil with it.

I'm looking to use it in waterways.... I got good info on where the local sheriffs used to dump confiscated guns many years ago and had this idea of recovering as many as I can and welding them into bars for my windows.... plus I know a few spots where there are rumors of a lot of 1812 and CW cannonballs in the water.....

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
100lbs MIGHT lift 100lbs out of the water. However if that 100lbs is down in the muck, clay or sand the suction will be a lot stronger than 100lbs. I have had to dig out anchors and bombs while diving and the bombs were 100lb Mark 1. Even 25lb boat anchors would be a challenge to pull out of anything holding them down. One of the bombs I found underwater took me over an hour to dig out before I could manually force it out of the clay and sand on the bottom of a lake.

Another problem is how much force you need to free the object from what is holding it to the bottom.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Pick your winner, they got 'em all.

K & J Magnets

This one should grab what your after, and will fit inside a PVC pipe to give you some reach.

Round

Last edited:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking to use it in waterways.... I got good info on where the local sheriffs used to dump confiscated guns many years ago and had this idea of recovering as many as I can and welding them into bars for my windows.... plus I know a few spots where there are rumors of a lot of 1812 and CW cannonballs in the water.....
Right under those window bars Write "Don't tread here".:laughing7:
You could put these in a PVC tube and drag it along. Hint: Put a cloth sock full length over the PVC then when magnet is full you can remove the sock and you have a clean Magnet again. https://www.apexmagnets.com/5mm-x-10mm-cylinders
Marvin

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pick your winner, they got 'em all.

K & J Magnets

This one should grab what your after, and will fit inside a PVC pipe to give you some reach.

Round

That one looks like a definite winner.... Explaining to the girlfriend why I just spent $200 on a magnet though..... :tongue3:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
That one looks like a definite winner.... Explaining to the girlfriend why I just spent $200 on a magnet though..... :tongue3:

If she loves you it shouldn't matter. She should only be concerned with your happiness.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The lb. force rating of magnets tells you how many pounds of force it takes to remove a piece of highly magnetic material (steel) from the magnet. This takes into account optimum conditions such as a clean magnet in good condition, and attracting highly magnetic material (clean steel).

I don't have any strong magnets anymore, but there's some good info at this site:
Neodymium N52 Magnets for Sale | Buy Neodymium N52 Magnets Online

Be careful of which magnets you choose, as some are very sensitive to heat, while others are very sensitive to moisture, while even others are very brittle.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out 'aquachigger' on youtube. He does exactly what you are talking about.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You know who does a lot of "magnet fishing" is Bainsey from t-net. Seems like a real knowledgable nice fella.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread