Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All ! :hello:

I was looking through my Nov., 2008 back-issue of Western & Eastern Treasures recently and came across the Field Test report on White's Pulse Scan TDI Metal Detector, by James A. McCulloch, beginning on page 60. It's a long report on an expensive machine (way too pricey for me :laughing7:), so I had passed it up previously. However, I decided to start reading and my interest was aroused by the various comparisons, pro and con, between VLF and PI systems used in gold prospecting metal detectors.

Well, I've been doing a little research lately on Pin Pointers, planning to buy a new one, and I'm wondering if the same comparisons and conclusions would be applicable to Pin Pointers and if this information would help me to make a decision on whether to go with a VLF or PI pin pointer. I'm primarily interested in finding gold jewelry and secondarily coins. Where I live here in S.W. Ohio, (Georgetown, East of Cincinnati) the soil is yellow clay with topsoil overburden and mineralization not bad.

Your opinions please. :icon_biggrin:

Thank you,

ToddB64

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pin Pointers : VLF vs PI

Garrett ProPointer AT or the Whites TRX will more than do the job for you. VLF or PI probably isn't an issue if you're looking for a pinpointer and aren't in crazy mineralization. Besides that, the higher end pinpointers will do a nice job of auto-tuning. For example, I had no problem with the Pro Pointer AT in salt water. That's pretty heavy mineralization. :)

The Pro Pointer AT also has no problems weeding out tiny gold and silver (earring size has been no problem for me in bark or dirt). I strongly suspect Whites TRX will have the same great functionality. One thing I particularly LOVE about the Garrett is that it has three beeping modes for proximity. Slower beeps, faster beeps, and solid tone when touching (or really close for large objects). Makes pinpointing FAR easier than other devices that just have a beeping function. Can't ever tell when you're close or "there" with the others...

Cheers,

Skippy

Thanks Skippy !

Before reading the White's Field Test on the PulseScan TDI, I was interested in the Deteknix XPointer, regularly selling for $89.95. Reason being, I had watched the following youtube video and was impressed with the test results.

[/video][/video]

Having owned and used the Treasure Products, Inc. "Vibra-Probe" 570 pinpointer (a Pulse Induction unit.) consistently for over 8 years now and being happy with it, the Deteknix XPointer also PI with more up-to-date features at a very reasonable price and according to the above video is the better value compared to the Garrett ProPointer and White's TRX (Both VLF units.), were my reasons for interest in the XPointer.

However, after reading the Field Test on the White's PulseScan TDI, comparing pros and cons of VLF vs PI, I became uncertain :icon_scratch: whether PI would be better for me in my local over VLF, assuming the information garnered from the Field Test pertaining to Metal Detectors would also be applicable to Pin Pointers.

I hope this helps to clarify the context in which I'm asking for opinions.

Thanks again !

ToddB64

Last edited:

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VLF pinpointers seemed to have gotten a little bit deeper over the last few years. My Pistol Probe (PI) used to be untouchable for depth, now my TRX goes just as deep.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Skippy SH13 and mrwilburino !

ToddB64 :icon_thumright:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there anyone out there that has a Carrot and something else and uses the something else? Seriously.
(scuba pinpointer doesn't count)

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Owned and lost several you mention (Vibra, Pro pointer) and recently bought the Fisher F-Pulse, a PI machine, because I work in/around salt water. The F-Pulse died after a month or so of use (about 60 hrs), but Fisher was great at sending a replacement. If you work around saltwater a PI Pointer is the way to go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread