Are town dirt Mountains good place to metal detect.

Oct 19, 2013
hilton ny
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a idea, I was think that this summer I was going to try the small dirt Mountain in my small town. I thought maybe there would be old coins and jewelry in the dirt mountain. The dirt comes from all over town, but I live in a small town. Would you think that a good idea to metal detect in the dirt mountain and maybe find old coins or jewelry. If you have any idea of this being a good idea let me know. Thanks

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
O heck yes Hunt It. It may just be subsoil but it may also be the surface skim from many high traffic locations. Youll never know unless you look.

I once ran across a small patch of fill dirt from a small town that was used to level up short right field at an elementary school. Something like 6 or 8 silvers, buffs, a 1900 V nickel, and a small ruby ring in that tiny 30'x50' patch. Have asked everyone I know in the area trying to figure out where that fill came from with no luck.

OP
OP
A
Oct 19, 2013
hilton ny
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I have not ask anyone yet. I know the mayor, I will ask him if he knows where it comes from. Thanks for reply

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get permission you might have a great opportunity to make some great finds! Good luck and keep us posted.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Depends on if the dirt came from old-town urban renewal demolition projects or not.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct in your thinking. I found an 1852 seated dime in fill dirt a local town used to patch washouts in a park. good luck to you.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have followed dump-trucks both to find out where the dirt came from and also to find out where the dirt from a closed off site was being dumped. Dirt piles are hard to hunt but can be very productive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread