TCAWarriors

Apr 7, 2012
East Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E trac, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an opportunity to hunt a late 1800's home today. It was the most frustrating experience of my detecting life. There was so much trash and iron in the ground that if I masked it out the detector was silent. If I left it open it was unbelievable! I could pick out any targets because of the noise. Any suggestions? Are there some sites that you just have to pass on? I don't have permission to go back enough to clean it all out, which I believe would just about be impossible anyway.

I use an E-trac by the way.

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
get the smallest coil you can and go slow

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a house site I'm digging dates before the Revolution. After 2 and a half years (not every week, mind you), I finally got through the aluminum layer and dug some colonial buttons and an 18th century rifle ball. Just gotta dig the garbage out, then the goodies will magically appear.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yes. IMHO there are sites that just aren't worth it. For whatever reason. No matter HOW MUCH colorful history could be connected to the spot. I research out lots of spots that "should be" good (based on the anecdotal data points). Yet, for whatever reason (fill dirt, modern influence, hunted to death, etc...) just don't pan out.

Yet the 10th site turns out to be a honey hole that gives up seateds, reales, a gold coin, etc... So I concentrate on those spots. And don't loose sleep over the other 9 that didn't produce.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have hunted an old site that was definitely way too trashy,but then again I pulled out an old brass key near where the foundation was that was really nice.My mister gave up long before I did. I also pulled a WLQ out of a horrendous site thinking it was yet another aluminum can top. I like the challenge of finding at least one decent relic on any given site. Funny thing is I'm all over the place and never really make myself cover one area before I move on and I've found some pretty decent relics. I also tend to skip to another area if I'm solely finding present day junk and my fairy flirting approach has served me well.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't dig where needles are lying around. Fortunately, I've only seen 1 at the beach since 2012. I did find a large knife "planted" blade straight up I the air this past fall. Bad guys responsible?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've hit some crazy sites with a near solid layer of trash.
Starting at an edge each visit I chip away a while then leave it.
These are newer sights and the trash is modern.
If a mixed or old site I'd peck away a little each visit in a similar fashion as the odds of interesting recoveries would be good.
Got to punch through modern layers sometimes to hit whats below.
I'm not that skilled and don't run the best detector but have found silver below iron. Was not nearly a solid silver signal though , and jumpy.

Metal siding trim pieces ,nails,pull tabs,bottle caps,foil wads ,bread twist ties all are in one of those annoying spots.
A desired target gets well scrambled among the signals. So bit by bit , trash gets pulled.
Meanwhile the whole time , other places beckon!:laughing7:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if I really have a good feeling about an overwhelming site I break out the sifter for a day or two and am able to learn much about the site.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I LOVE hunting sites that cause most others screaming into the night.
I am also very anal about learning my detectors and target behavior more than well and have the patience to experiment and try all kinds of settings to try to hit on the best most productive ones to conquer each type...normal park trash, extreme iron, heavy mineralized.
So far I have been more than successful using several detectors but my F70 has dropped my jaw more than any others and has gotten me some bucket listers among many other treasures.
I learned a couple ways to do this including using some way out of the box thinking but hey...what works, works.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Have you downloaded and tried Bills Trashy Park Program? I think it is fantastic. If you need help finding it PM me. I don't think I can upload it here. I haven't wavered from it and it is deadly on coins, not iron.

OP
OP
TCAWarriors

TCAWarriors

Apr 7, 2012
East Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E trac, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I have never given up on a site. Gonna go back with a small coil and hope to post some good finds.

Skippy SH13- Your response was so funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Thanks for the help everyone.

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you downloaded and tried Bills Trashy Park Program? I think it is fantastic. If you need help finding it PM me. I don't think I can upload it here. I haven't wavered from it and it is deadly on coins, not iron.

I for one would appreciate link to Bills trashy Park program...

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, I use a 15 year old Whites XLT. I can adjust just about anything in the computer circuits. I set the target response to be very short. That gives me the ability to see several targets on each swing that are locked in on the screen. Yes the ID#s jump, but the graph shows all targets from the swing. I don't know if the MXT retained this ability. There are a lot of tradeoffs on newer detectors. Frank
the inquisitor 700.jpg

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Having hunted dozens of old homes and farmyards, I can say many are just a bust, plain and simple.
Either lots of trash and noisy, or quiet and barren.
I'd say maybe one out of five yards might be worthwhile, in my case.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to ground balance on the strip of grass by the road before I can start searching my field of trash! Then I hunt by sound alone because the vid is like a Jack rabbit & jumping all over the place. Its a very slow search.
I've found, silver, musket ball and other nice things. It just requires a lot of patience and persistance...and I believe I'm the only one who detects there.:sly:

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm currently on a early-late 1800's site where a house (and probably several sheds) was burned down after many times flooded, then dozed out. LOTS of nails and some bigger iron (horseshoes, oxshoes, weirdies, etc.), lots of melted metal blobs, but not a lot of modern trash... I have found that going slow -REALLY slow- makes a huge difference. Also, I don't discriminate anything out... it makes for a nerve wracking experience, but often there are little squeaky signals between the bonky nail signals.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Home Sites dating back to the early 1800's are in all probability loaded with all sorts of iron. From nails to horse shoes.
I really like the idea of isolating a "Heavy Iron Spot. "
Try a 12 foot by 12 foot area and sift out the signals to see how deep you have to go to get to a good target.
Good luck with the search.

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good post. Trash equals finds as you know people were there. Old home sites are not done in a day. The parks with a lot of trash I do fairly well at as others cherry pick or give up. Foil and iron(hair pins) will change the value of a good target if nearby. The slow swing does help. Switching different modes also help. The Iron Audio on my AT Pro is about worthless in such trashy settings as there is always Iron close by. My F75 does very well in All Metal mode. I can hear it all and still pull good targets all day. I do not hunt at the bases of trees, around trash cans and the such. Ten foot makes all the difference as you have to hunt where folks havent hunted before some days. Ten foot will get you away from most of the trash. I hunt the edges, and love sidewalks, but again if its too trashy I just move over about 4 feet and hunt it that way.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you feel there are good finds to be had at the site, then I say it's worth working, unless you have something better to search first. Use a small coil, and grid the area, twice, at 90 degrees from each other -- you'll be amazed at the extra finds. And the more junk you clear the more good stuff you will find.

As for sites that are too trashy to hunt, I would say yes, there are. If the area is full of junk, has no history of people being there other than just dumping things, (not lots of people potentially losing things, or someone hiding something), then you have to weigh the time factor -- is it worth your time? Only you can decide that one. As for your site, it is old, so there could be old coins there as well as relics of value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread