Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I was at a coin show, and believe it or not, one of the dealers has a bunch of old newspapers, most were in a pile of "Civil War" newspapers, with some others of the two dates, 1859 and 1869. Each newspaper was $4. I decided to get one of them, and am very pleased with it. I thought Civil War relic hunters may think that it would be cool to see it, so I thought I would post it.

Here are some photos. I took some photos of cool stories on the front page, and an interesting note relating to the famous Ford Theater, just three months after it was built (and around 1.5 years before the assassination of Abraham Lincoln).
DSC_0037.JPG DSC_0039.JPG DSC_0036.JPG CSC_0076.JPG

I just thought that it was a cool piece of history for $4, it may be in bad shape but it is complete and still intact.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you stumble on these "piles" hit em with the "Whatcha ya want for the whole stack". I always give this a shot and come out with some good deals. It's easier to peruse the stack at home with a nice cup of coffee. I doubt you'll ever get stuck with much. A trick I use is to take a page that looks interesting and frame it in an old thrift store frame. The frames should run you $1 up to $5. Blows my mind how youngsters snap em up just because they look cool! Works good for magazines with missing pages etc. And if you have a pile of frames in the shed, throw an old article in it with a piece of copy paper behind it. I can't figure people out but they seem to like junky frames if there's something in it. Hope that gives you an idea & hopefully a gem you'd miss at a sale etc!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
When you stumble on these "piles" hit em with the "Whatcha ya want for the whole stack". I always give this a shot and come out with some good deals. It's easier to peruse the stack at home with a nice cup of coffee. I doubt you'll ever get stuck with much. A trick I use is to take a page that looks interesting and frame it in an old thrift store frame. The frames should run you $1 up to $5. Blows my mind how youngsters snap em up just because they look cool! Works good for magazines with missing pages etc. And if you have a pile of frames in the shed, throw an old article in it with a piece of copy paper behind it. I can't figure people out but they seem to like junky frames if there's something in it. Hope that gives you an idea & hopefully a gem you'd miss at a sale etc!

I would have certainly bought more, except, I would have to walk around the floor of the coin show with them for the next hour or more with them. I was scared that they may get damaged during that time. I asked if when I bought them he could keep them with him and at the end I could pick them up but he is leaving soon. I like the frame idea, I will try to get one at the local thrift store then, they have frames super cheap there. Thanks for the advice! :)

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what you mean. I have been spending alot of time on newspaper.com reading early and mid 1800s papers. I find them fascinating, and having the real macoy would be even better!

redneck-fire-alarm.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread