a question for experienced mders

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
a question for experienced md'ers

I was doing as much MDing as I could cram into a weekend of work. I found lots of stuff....beer cans, tools, and random small sheets of metal, even picked up the lid to a sauce pack, but nothing worthwhile. I tried a few "tests" and I am wondering if they are a fair test of the MD's capability.
I placed a penny in the bottom of a hole (about 4" deep) where I dug up a beer can, and then replaced the plug, scanned it, and got nothing, I did the same with my wedding ring (white gold), got nothing. And I have found almost no coins (even clad) unless they were on top of the ground, or barely covered with dirt.
So was this a fair test? Or does the fact that there was "broken" soil in the hole does that somehow effect the scanning capability.
If my MD stinks than that's fine. It was enough for me to find out that I like the hobby. I'll be ready to spring for an ace or something. But I wanna know it's not just me first. I tried to find reviews on my MD and I haven't been able to find anything so I can't go by anyone else's review. I just want to know that if I go over something It will pick it up.
BTW, I have a Bounty Hunter (model: quicksilver) You can't adjust discrimination or anything, just beeps at diff tones when it finds different metals and puts an arrow in the category the metal is in ie: coins, iron, Al Zn, aluminum, and I think one other.
Thanks for any advice, still loving the hobby!
Jeff

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: a question for experienced md'ers

First thing that comes to mind is your MD.Maybe somethings wrong with it maybe not but you should at least find some coins.It would be nice if theres a place near you that you could rent another brand for the day. That might solve your problem. 8) AA

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeff, if your BH wouldn't pick up the penny at four inches there are many reasons why. Was your discrimination turned up to high? That BH doesn't have ground balance and that could be it. However, I have to tell you that your detector is on the bottom of the quality of the Bounty Hunters. I would save every nickel and dime for an upgrade. The ACE 250 is a nice entry level detector too. When you are interested, contact Tony at http://www.tcmetaldetectors.com/ He is knowledgable and fair. He might even have a used one that he's tested too.

Good Luck.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

captain Jack said:
I tried a few "tests" and I am wondering if they are a fair test of the MD's capability.
I placed a penny in the bottom of a hole (about 4" deep) where I dug up a beer can, and then replaced the plug, scanned it, and got nothing, I did the same with my wedding ring (white gold), got nothing. And I have found almost no coins (even clad) unless they were on top of the ground, or barely covered with dirt.
So was this a fair test? Or does the fact that there was "broken" soil in the hole does that somehow effect the scanning capability.
BTW, I have a Bounty Hunter (model: quicksilver) You can't adjust discrimination or anything, just beeps at diff tones when it finds different metals and puts an arrow in the category the metal is in ie: coins, iron, Al Zn, aluminum, and I think one other.
Thanks for any advice, still loving the hobby!
Jeff

First off you have found some metal items, so your detector is working.
As for your test.. it could be the dirt was disturbed, disrupting the "halo" effect around some coins. Try using a quarter on top of the ground to see if your detector will sound off on it, and then try placing the quarter just under the grass, and see if it sounds off.
As for finding coins sometimes the trash items are closer to the surface than the coins are, and to detect the coins, you have to remove the trash that is blocking the signal the coins would make, if the trash wasn't detected first.

I hope this helps.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

A "fair" test is hard to come by. From what you did, I would say that it is "fair enough" and you should at least get a signal at 4" - halo or no halo. I would first see if there is a dealer for the detector in your area. Take it in. Go outside with him and do the same test. Have him try it with a new machine. If the new one works and yours doesn't leave it for service. Second, send a few PM to some members in your area and ask if you can meet with them at a local park or something. Tag along with them and when they get a signal, sweep it with your machine and see what you get. If they get signals and you don't, it may be that the detector has a problem or is just not good enough to go that deep. Third, try to rent or borrow a machine like the ACE 250. Sweep an area with that machine and mark where you got hits. Use your machine and see how many of the targets you get. If you miss most of them, I would say the detector has to go - working or not.

Daryl

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm working a site at the moment where a large coin can just be detected at three inches in an open hole (this is with a Shadow X5 or XP that are both considered deep machines).
Bounty Hunter always sounds warning bells with me as I've seen such variable results with one (cheap) model being really hot and another having less than half the performance.
It could be you have a lemon or could be you have very bad ground. An air test on a specific coin would be a guide. I would always suggest a machine with an adjustable ground balance whatever the ground conditions.
The drawback with using a I.D.'ing machine that is at the bottom of a manufacturers range is that money has been spent on an identification display that is never going to be really accurate without a ground balance, instead of providing depth first.

OP
OP
captain Jack

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! I did a few more tests using your ideas but at the same time, just went ahead and got the ace 250. I wanted another one anyway to lend to friends and landowners if need be and quite frankly if I have been interested enough in the hobby not finding much with a cheap detector it can only get better with a good one. I am going to take both machines on my next hunt and see what happens when I find something with the ace and then scan it with the BH before I dig it.

If anyone is interested, the site that sandman suggested had a great price on the ACE 250 ($213) with free shipping!
Thanks again sandman!
HH everyone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions