May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a letter today that made me think of this thread. It is from TruGreen. After the address window it has large green letters that says Address lawn threats now.

I just had to laugh. How dare you folks with sharp pointy things threaten my lawn.
lol. My mom had a tru-green rep. come last year who was solicatating the neighborhood and went ahead and hired um to do her lawn. Her yard looked good to me but he really sold her on how their process gets rid of undesirables and leaves just a beautiful lawn with nothing but vibrant, green, & lush grasses.
About a week or so later her whole yard was a barren dirt pit with little ''plug'' size patches of green here or there. Guess she had more clover than she thought. lol

OP
OP
eureka77

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the replies, much appreciated.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's no one perfect way to dig a plug. The three sided square has been working pretty well for me. I DO revisit a lot of my plugs when I'm hunting in the same area where I dug them. I have a very good plug-survival record, but once in a while I find one that I'm not proud of. I always try to learn form those so I don't make the same mistake again. One of the biggest mistakes that people make is digging plugs in dry ground. I don't know how many youtube videos I have seen where people are park hunting over ground where the grass is half dead. Unless they get a good, solid rain within a day or two of digging that plug, it's probably going to be there for awhile for all to see. Usually I don't even hunt yards or certain public parks from the end of May to the beginning of Sept. I try to divide my hunting up by season. Save the well manicured areas for early spring and late fall.

OP
OP
eureka77

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can agree they CAN give us a bad name. But they do grow back. If you think about it dog pee also kills grass sometimes and so does an oil spill and a few other things. The problem is we know we did it and we feel guilty. But grass is resilient. It will grow back. Maybe not as fast as we would like so we don't feel guilty. I only hunt the water after it warms up and I am mainly in the woods in the spring but I have seen it. I have been cutting flaps lately. this is the first year I have tried it and maybe better results will become of it. However, I was in a park in Detroit and unless we get a bunch of us together with a few packing, I won't be going back.

A flap is one idea, cut on three sides and leave the 4th. Don't hunt in dry weather is another especially in well manicured lawn.
Yep felt a little bad and somewhat embarrassed when I seen them plugs like that. After checking that they weren't all like that I went back to the car and left.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, is too bad so many folks can't just accept whatever normal, native, low-growing grasses that might grow in their area. In Texas, Crab Grass was highly discouraged, even though it would grow in the most horrid conditions. And we lived out in the country, no less! I mean, which would you rather see - a beautiful, lush lawn that looks like it just came out of a posh country club, with a maintenance bill to match? Or a Crab Grass (or whatever) haven, that looks good all the time, and takes virtually no maintenance? ...I swear, 'humans' confuse the hell out of me!! :dontknow:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I use this Tekton Gasket Scraper whenever the environment (ground conditions) allows.
Doesn't do a lot of damage.

61y52kZkziL._SL1500_.jpg

OP
OP
eureka77

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The recent dry weather in the greater Iredell County area accounts for this. If the roots get dry, the plug shrinks and turns yellow. The deeper the plug, the better. Hopefully the rain that is predicted for the next couple of days, will wet the ground thoroughly, and we will be back in business.

Bet of luck to you sir.
Northern Iredell county here. Received a little rain today and hopefully we get a little more tomorrow. I have a really awesome permission and I want everything to go smooth. I'm going to bring water as Deepseeker ADS and others mentioned. You familiar with Mooresville/Statesville and a little more north CarolinaTom? I've a permission up in Jonesville to detect a house from late 1700s. Also there was civil war activity from general Stoneman's raids just a mile away. Across the st. from the 1700s house was where a hotel once stood and just an open field now. Anything found I promised to donate to the historic center. Hoping to get some relics or at least my first silver under my belt. I'm a little over 17$ in clad since buying the Nokta a month or so ago but nothing worthy to post up in the todays finds yet. HH

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use this Tekton Gasket Scraper whenever the environment (ground conditions) allows.
Doesn't do a lot of damage.

View attachment 1293278

I have always used a flat head screw driver or just my probe but this is even better. Thanks for the tip!

Detecto

Mar 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ALL PRO 13" Detech and Eclipse 950 Coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After ruining a couple nice coins metal detecting with my lesche but without a pin-pointer during my first year, I can't even imagine using a screwdrive/probe/gasket scraper to peel coins out of the ground..

OP
OP
eureka77

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IDK I think that gasket tool is a good idea, I'm going to get one. The Whites trx pinpointer is amazing with its ratcheting feature I know exactly where the target is so no worries there.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After ruining a couple nice coins metal detecting with my lesche but without a pin-pointer during my first year, I can't even imagine using a screwdrive/probe/gasket scraper to peel coins out of the ground..

You could if you coated them with liquid electrical tape every time you returned from hunting.:headbang:
Marvin

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep! I pee in my compost barrels, provide nitrogen to the soil :) Most of my pee comes from coffee, which is also good in compost barrels :)

🤔 You pee in your coffee?? Is that before or after you drink it?

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post: My AT Pro calls the coin depth about 2" to deep so a 6" read IS GOING TO BE ABOUT 3 1/2 TO 4"
I TRY TO HAVE IT JUST SITTING IN THE HOLE -NOT IN THE PLUG-SO I DONT HAVE TO BREAK UP THE PLUG. IF SO I PUT BACK THE PLUG (ORENTING IT SAME AS IT CAME OUT)--I'm PLANNING ON CARRYNG A PINT SPRAY BOTTLE WITH WATER/MERICAL GROW IN HOT WEATHER /. I USE A 4" DIGGER MAKING 3 CUTS AND FLAPPING THE PLUG. if IT WONT PINPOINT THEN YOU GOTTA MESS AROUND A BIT// Perry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread