Permission to Keep, sir!(?)

BobOcala

Mar 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm fresh out of the box new to detecting (Garrett Ace 250) and am still in training mode in my backyard (just got my Bounty Hunter Pin Pointer today and my back is very grateful). I've watched some videos on asking permission of private homeowners to scout on their property. I think on one video the guy mentioned some type of form (waiver?) that he could have been used (but he didn't) so he was more or less protected from being charged for trespassing or property damage. Do such forms (or obligation on the part of the detector) exist? And are there forms on line that would be needed for permission to detect on government land (Parks, Rec Areas, Beaches, etc.). And with regard to both situations, are you bound by law to fork over anything really valuable you might find? If so, is there a dollar floor (i.e. $500 or greater)?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....some type of form (waiver?) ... Do such forms (or obligation on the part of the detector) exist?....

Well, sure, such forms "exist". There are blank fill-in type, etc.. Eg.: search and salvage, permission to be there, and so forth. But any such form is the FASTEST way to get a "no" though. Because think of it: What you YOU do if a total stranger appeared at your door, with a contract for you to sign ? It only conjurs up hassles, valuables, etc... on their part. So best to go with a verbal "yes", a smile, and a handshake. Unless THEY ask you to sign something.

.... And are there forms on line that would be needed for permission to detect on government land (Parks, Rec Areas, Beaches, etc.). ...

No. In the case of govt/public land, you only need to look up the laws for yourself. If you see nothing there saying "md'ing prohited", then presto, it's not prohibited. You would not need a "contract", any-more-so than you'd need a contract to fly a frisbee there.

.... are you bound by law to fork over anything really valuable you might find? If so, is there a dollar floor (i.e. $500 or greater)?

Yup. In each of the 50 states, there is lost & found laws. With dollar value cutoffs of $100 or $250 or whatever. Born out of wandering cattle laws of the 1800s. And as might be surmised: All of us rush to the police station with each ring or coin we find that exceeds the $100 value !

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob - When asking permission from a private homeowner, don't ask them to sign anything. That's asking for a NO. Just be friendly, tell them what you do and the types of relics you find. I always give the homeowner first right of refusal for any and all items found. It's their property. Guess what? No one has ever kept a single relic I have found, from Gold rings to rare type coins and more. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would not worry much about finding something worth $500 yet

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Are you in the states or across the pond? Laws vary

OP
OP
B

BobOcala

Mar 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for taking the time to answer back with some good advice especially Tom_in_CA. Tom, since my first post above I found that here in FL you can get permits to detect in local and state parks. And based on the some of the other helpful tips above, I don't think I'll run into big problems. I'm not overly concerned above striking it rich but just looked for some general guidance. Mission accomplished. Thanks again.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The biggest thing when being on private property is to have permission. The USA is maybe the only nation in the world where someone can actually "own" their land, including all rights to that land. This includes the air above that land - how high I think varies by area. Also, there are lots of places where someone may own the property, but not mineral rights - not that this would pertain to you! Just be polite and always get permission. Getting a nod from a kid doesn't count - it has to be someone who can authorize such permission.

Some people may want to give permission and go back in the house or get back to whatever they were doing. Others will want to know your every move, sometimes before you even get started! Just be the most respectful you possibly can!

If you're searching someone else's property and you happen to find something quite valuable, it is polite to offer the homeowner a little something. Many here will argue not to, but it's only being polite, as the homeowner was polite to give you permission in the first place. Never go up to the homeowner right away, unless you have found something personal that they have lost - something with sentimental value. If you make a good find, take it home, clean it up and research it. Then you can choose a kindly amount to offer the homeowner for their hospitality. ...Just play it by ear.

Instead of "written" permission, it might be a good idea to have a hidden voice recorder going, or maybe have a dash cam in your car that can see you go up and ask permission - or both. Would also be a good idea to take a few pics of your dig spots. If they come back later trying to say you ruined their lawn, you'd have proof otherwise.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi
I got lots of land to hunt, just ask me,but if you want me to sign something i`ll break your pen....but you can still hunt cuz i`m a MDer too !
Like "TheRingerFinder" says most time land owner will run you off
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread